Yitah

Default Delta 580 or Ridgid Planer?

I've more or less made up my mind, but wanted to get a quick read of
what people in the NG thought.....Both planers are very highly rated

Ridgid 13" Planer

Pros:
$300 includes 2 sets of knives, stand, and dust hood
"Lifetime" warrantee thru the Borg
66 cuts per inch at 26 fpm feed speed
$29 for a set of knives
Repeat-a-cut feature
Cons:
Borg
Proprietary knives
Emerson - OWT switcheroo

Delta 580

Pros:
Delta name, reputation.
2 feed speeds - 60 / 96 CPM
Blade zero feature

Cons:
Fast feed speed is 24 fpm
2 year warrantee
$309 includes planer only, plus rebate crap
$39 for a set of knives
Gotta go Saturday plus return the Ridgid, which is still sitting
in the box.

Thanx

Edwin Pawlowski

"Yitah" wrote in message
Delta 580

Cons:
2 year warrantee

Check the fine print of the Ridgid. It is only manufacturers defects. Not a
big deal.

$309 includes planer only, plus rebate crap

You consider that a con? It was $459

$39 for a set of knives

Not at Lowes. $29.

Yitah

Actually, it's a lifetime service warranty for any purchased from
about Sept 30 to the end of the year. Still, would you rather drive a
Hyundai with a 10 year warranty, or a BMW 3 series with a 3 year
warranty?

I meant that $309 is a negative only in that it costs more if I buy a
stand and a dust collector hood.

All the same, Woodcraft called me today and it's in. The sale is
Saturday, but when I called them on Tuesday, they said they could
order it over the phone and I'd get it in a couple of weeks.

Loaded the Ridgid in the truck tonight, it's going bact to the Borg
tomorrow after work, on my way to Woodcraft.

Thanks for the tip on the blades - I'll look to get some at Lowes next
time.

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:00:31 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Yitah" wrote in message
Delta 580

Cons:
2 year warrantee

Check the fine print of the Ridgid. It is only manufacturers defects. Not a
big deal.

$309 includes planer only, plus rebate crap

You consider that a con? It was $459

$39 for a set of knives

Not at Lowes. $29.

Charlie Self

Yitah asks:

Actually, it's a lifetime service warranty for any purchased from
about Sept 30 to the end of the year. Still, would you rather drive a
Hyundai with a 10 year warranty, or a BMW 3 series with a 3 year
warranty?

Sell the beemer, buy 2 Hyundais and bank the remaining 10-15 grand.

Charlie Self

"In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains."
Dwight D. Eisenhower