LRod

On 7 Apr 2005 21:02:57 -0700, "brianlanning"
wrote:

I'm considering a trip to misourri this summer for the grizzly tent
sale.

[snip irrelevant stuff]

My wife says that it must be a good sale for that many sane men to
stand in line at 4am. :-)

I think that's all you need to know about it.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

brianlanning

Default Grizzly Tent Sale

I'm considering a trip to misourri this summer for the grizzly tent
sale. I've always wanted to see the store anyway. And since I'm
gearing up to add some machines to the new gar... shop, I figured the
tent sale would be a good time to go. It's July 16 this year.

SWMBO shocked me today by suggesting that it may make more sense to get
all the machines I want in one shot. The idea being to get a flat bed
uhaul trailer and make the trek there and bring back a shop full of
tools ourselves to avoid the shipping costs. Even with having to pay
sales tax, it could be a significant savings. I immediately thought of
the tent sale.

So I was wondering if anyone had been to one of their tent sales. I'm
sure it's an exercise in insanity. How does it work with the larger
machines? Do you put your name on it or something? What is the sales
tax at the springfield store? Is the sale worth going to or do 10,000
people show up for 10 machines? What kind of discounts are generally
offered? Are we talking half off or only like 10%? And is there a
wide variety of machines or just what's on the outlet link of their
site? If parts are broken or missing, are they good about replacing
them or do you have to pay for the parts because everything is as-is?

I'd like to take a flat bed trailer since I'm after the new 21" band
saw. But if I have to take the machines to the trailer onsey-twosey,
then leave them to go back in, I'd have to get the closed trailer so I
could lock it up. Do they assemble a watched group of tools in a

My wife says that it must be a good sale for that many sane men to
stand in line at 4am. :-)

brian

Mark & Juanita

wrote:

I'm considering a trip to misourri this summer for the grizzly tent
sale. I've always wanted to see the store anyway. And since I'm
gearing up to add some machines to the new gar... shop, I figured the
tent sale would be a good time to go. It's July 16 this year.

While you are there, make sure you spend some time at BassPro as well --
very cool place.

.... snip
My wife says that it must be a good sale for that many sane men to
stand in line at 4am. :-)

How does she know they are sane? ;-)

[Haven't been to the tent sale, have been to the store several times
(in-laws live in that area)]

brian

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Lee Michaels

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have had a couple friends go to these tent sales.

Total insanity is a good description. All good deals vanish in the first few
munites with 20 angry, excited men trying to buy each good deal. It makes
christmas shoo\pping look tame by comparison.

I stay away.

But if you go to the store, you may get a good deal on some stratch and dent
machines. I got a good deal on a metal bandsaw and some handtools this way.

Joe Wells

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:02:57 -0700, brianlanning wrote:

I'm considering a trip to misourri this summer for the grizzly tent sale.

Missouri, son, Missouri. You can pronounce it seventeen different ways,
but there's only one way to spell it.

I've always wanted to see the store anyway. And since I'm gearing up to
add some machines to the new gar... shop, I figured the tent sale would
be a good time to go. It's July 16 this year.

SWMBO shocked me today by suggesting that it may make more sense to get
all the machines I want in one shot.

She's a keeper.

The idea being to get a flat bed
uhaul trailer and make the trek there and bring back a shop full of
tools ourselves to avoid the shipping costs. Even with having to pay
sales tax, it could be a significant savings.

I've done similar. One nice thing about Grizzly's web site is they have
the dimensions of the boxes the machines are in. I'm so obsessive that I
actually measured the cargo dimensions of my Durango and figured out how
best to load all of the stuff. I came home with a contractor's saw, long
rails for the fence, a 6" jointer, a bench-top drill press, a dust
collector, and a small compressor in one trip.

I immediately thought of
the tent sale.

You poor *******.

So I was wondering if anyone had been to one of their tent sales.

My son and I go every year.

I'm
sure it's an exercise in insanity.

Man, you ain't kiddin'. Sometimes it takes over an hour just for the
cashier's line.

How does it work with the larger
machines? Do you put your name on it or something?

They're tagged. If you want something, you take the top copy to the
cashier.

What is the sales
tax at the springfield store?

Last year it was 6.6%.

Is the sale worth going to or do 10,000
people show up for 10 machines?

Oh, it's much more than 10 machines. Of course, a fair percentage of those
are large-shop type iron. There are usually three large tents just for the
machines.

What kind of discounts are generally
offered? Are we talking half off or only like 10%?

It depends on what's wrong with the machine. The discounts on
good-enough-to-run gear are good, but not breath taking.

And is there a wide
variety of machines or just what's on the outlet link of their site?

It runs the gamut of their entire line. Generally, whatever they can't
sell as new.

If
parts are broken or missing, are they good about replacing them or do
you have to pay for the parts because everything is as-is?

It's all as-is. Their parts department is pretty good, but I've never
tried to get parts on the day of the tent sale. I have a feeling that
they get rather overwhelmed.

I'd like to take a flat bed trailer since I'm after the new 21" band
saw. But if I have to take the machines to the trailer onsey-twosey,
then leave them to go back in, I'd have to get the closed trailer so I
could lock it up.

Who do you think is going to walk off with your 21" bandsaw? There will be
plenty of trailers and pickups full of unattended iron.

Do they assemble a watched group of tools in a

My wife says that it must be a good sale for that many sane men to stand
in line at 4am. :-)

Well, it's a lot of fun besides the deals. There are usually some
trucks/tents from other manufacturers like DeWalt, PC and so forth and
they generally have good sales as well.

But all of that aside, how many places have stuffed bears, lathes, an
indoor fish pond, saws, suits of armor, jointers, swords, mills, guns,
sanders, and guitars under one roof? I mean besides Tom Watson's place.

--
Joe Wells

LRod

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:09:19 -0500, Joe Wells
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:02:57 -0700, brianlanning wrote:

I'm considering a trip to misourri this summer for the grizzly tent sale.

Missouri, son, Missouri. You can pronounce it seventeen different ways,
but there's only one way to spell it.

I thought there were only two ways to pronounce it: Mizzuree and
Missourah. A coworker of mine and I once had an argument about it as
he continually mispronounced it. I asked him how many "a"s there were
in Missouri. He promptly replied, "the same number as there are 'e's."

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Lawrence L'Hote

wrote:

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:02:57 -0700, brianlanning wrote:

I'm considering a trip to misourri this summer for the grizzly tent
sale.

Missouri, son, Missouri. You can pronounce it seventeen different ways,
but there's only one way to spell it.

I thought there were only two ways to pronounce it: Mizzuree and
Missourah. A coworker of mine and I once had an argument about it as
he continually mispronounced it. I asked him how many "a"s there were
in Missouri. He promptly replied, "the same number as there are 'e's."

....and different parts of the state have different preferences. FWIW some
town names suffer the indignity of mispronunciation. Like Auxvasse, Mo. or
Hayti, Mo. to name just a few.
Larry
--
Columbia, MO
www.llhote.com

Joe Wells

wrote:

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:02:57 -0700, brianlanning wrote:

I'm considering a trip to misourri this summer for the grizzly tent
sale.

Missouri, son, Missouri. You can pronounce it seventeen different ways,
but there's only one way to spell it.

I thought there were only two ways to pronounce it: Mizzuree and
Missourah. A coworker of mine and I once had an argument about it as he
continually mispronounced it. I asked him how many "a"s there were in
Missouri. He promptly replied, "the same number as there are 'e's."

Well, OK, maybe not seventeen. But along with Missouree and Missourah I
sometimes hear Misery and Miserah.

--
Joe Wells