Vic Baron

Default wood selection question

I am planning to build a free standing liquor cabinet for myself. The finish
will be a painted one. The wood that I have available is walnut, mahogany,
white oak and hard maple. I prefer not to use plywood if at all possible and
the thought of painting the wood I have on hand doesn't please me. I'm
guessing that pine might be too soft.

So I was thinking of alder, birch, ash, basswood and poplar. Other than
birch I haven't worked he other woods much, if at all. Considering that cost
is also a factor - anyone have any suggestions on what would give me the
best result/cost?

Thanx,

Vic Baron
--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

John

Popular would be a good choice, but if painting why not MDF? Machines
great, takes paint great. Only real downside is the weight.

John

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:05:01 GMT, "Vic Baron"
wrote:

I am planning to build a free standing liquor cabinet for myself. The finish
will be a painted one. The wood that I have available is walnut, mahogany,
white oak and hard maple. I prefer not to use plywood if at all possible and
the thought of painting the wood I have on hand doesn't please me. I'm
guessing that pine might be too soft.

So I was thinking of alder, birch, ash, basswood and poplar. Other than
birch I haven't worked he other woods much, if at all. Considering that cost
is also a factor - anyone have any suggestions on what would give me the
best result/cost?

Thanx,

Vic Baron

Patriarch

"Vic Baron" wrote in
m:

I am planning to build a free standing liquor cabinet for myself. The
finish will be a painted one. The wood that I have available is
walnut, mahogany, white oak and hard maple. I prefer not to use
plywood if at all possible and the thought of painting the wood I have
on hand doesn't please me. I'm guessing that pine might be too soft.

So I was thinking of alder, birch, ash, basswood and poplar. Other
than birch I haven't worked he other woods much, if at all.
Considering that cost is also a factor - anyone have any suggestions
on what would give me the best result/cost?

In the SF Bay Area, poplar is about $2.15/bf, give or take, and soft maple
is about $3.10/bf, same dealer, same volumes, 4/4, s3s. I've used both for
paint grade projects. I also did one in birch, just to see how the wood
worked. At least that variety, and those couple of boards weren't an
invitation to try again. YMMV.

Poplar is relatively uniform, and easier to work, but also easier for me to
ding in the shop. If the project is small, I'll almost always use soft
maple, becasue there will invariably be a couple of pieces with really nice
grain that I can put in the storage rack for a later project, which will
get shellac or Waterlox, and show off. If there is a lot of material to
buy, or the project is on someone else's nickel, I let them make the
choice. I'd just as soon work maple as poplar.

SWMBO is trying to decide if she wants a maple or a painted vanity in the
bathroom remodel. I told her I didn't want to do red oak again anytime
soon.

Patriarch
SonomaProducts.com

I agree with the Poplar for painting. Great to work with. Few knots to
deal with. Very little movement.

If you like the MDF idea you can use Armorcore (sp?). It is MDF
sandwiched over veneers of ply. A lot lighter than MDF proper. Of
course, this is ply like but honestly I don't see the problem with
using ply for a painted piece.

BW

Ron

Poplar gets my vote as well.

I've used it on several projects which were to be painted, including a set
of
kitchen cabinets.

Ron

toller

Use whatever is cheapest; what does it matter?
However... if it is close in price, ash is harder and stronger than poplar.

Vic Baron

Thanx for the input. Don't care for MDF so I've narrowed it down to two
scenarios. If I confirm that I'm going to do a paint finish, I'll go with
ply sides and use eother poplar or ash for the doors, drawers, etc. If I
decide to leave it unpainted, then I'm going to make it a good quality piece
and use either walnut or mahogany - leaning toward mahogany.

Have the design sketched out, just haven't decided if I'm going to make a
piece of furniture for myself or just something to hold my booze stash.
Since I have no SWMBO any longer, I get to make the decision all by my
lonesome.

Thanx again -

Vic

mac davis

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:17:54 GMT, "Vic Baron" wrote:

snip
Have the design sketched out, just haven't decided if I'm going to make a
piece of furniture for myself or just something to hold my booze stash.
Since I have no SWMBO any longer, I get to make the decision all by my
lonesome.

Thanx again -

Vic

Having been divorced twice, let me offer a suggestion... decide on the plan and
material BEFORE sampling the contents of the cabinet.. you can get some really
weird plans after a few drinks.. BTDT

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

TheNewGuy

Patriarch wrote:

SWMBO is trying to decide if she wants a maple or a painted vanity in

the
bathroom remodel. I told her I didn't want to do red oak again

anytime
soon.

Why is that, Patriarch?

-Chris

Max

"TheNewGuy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Patriarch wrote:

SWMBO is trying to decide if she wants a maple or a painted vanity in

the
bathroom remodel. I told her I didn't want to do red oak again

anytime
soon.

Why is that, Patriarch?

-Chris