Patriarch

"Vic Baron" wrote in
m:

I am planning to build a free standing liquor cabinet for myself. The
finish will be a painted one. The wood that I have available is
walnut, mahogany, white oak and hard maple. I prefer not to use
plywood if at all possible and the thought of painting the wood I have
on hand doesn't please me. I'm guessing that pine might be too soft.

So I was thinking of alder, birch, ash, basswood and poplar. Other
than birch I haven't worked he other woods much, if at all.
Considering that cost is also a factor - anyone have any suggestions
on what would give me the best result/cost?

In the SF Bay Area, poplar is about $2.15/bf, give or take, and soft maple
is about $3.10/bf, same dealer, same volumes, 4/4, s3s. I've used both for
paint grade projects. I also did one in birch, just to see how the wood
worked. At least that variety, and those couple of boards weren't an
invitation to try again. YMMV.

Poplar is relatively uniform, and easier to work, but also easier for me to
ding in the shop. If the project is small, I'll almost always use soft
maple, becasue there will invariably be a couple of pieces with really nice
grain that I can put in the storage rack for a later project, which will
get shellac or Waterlox, and show off. If there is a lot of material to
buy, or the project is on someone else's nickel, I let them make the
choice. I'd just as soon work maple as poplar.

SWMBO is trying to decide if she wants a maple or a painted vanity in the
bathroom remodel. I told her I didn't want to do red oak again anytime
soon.

Patriarch