Default No more Jet tools for me

I just got off the phone with the Jet tools Customer service dept. I
needed a belt for my 9x20 metal lathe. Their price was $27.95 for a v
belt that weighs 1/4 oz (that is what a pencil weighs). OK I am stupid
enough to buy this POS lathe, I have to pony up for the parts. Then
they told me that the shipping was a flat rate of $19.95 for parts
costing over $20.00. That's almost $48.00 for a v belt! I got a
supervisor on the line who told me the same old "I don't make the rules,
I just live by them" and then offered to do a one time special deal just
for me since I was so upset of only $9.95 shipping. I told her to tell
the bean counting MBA's upstairs to quit ripping people off and trying
to back door profits by jacking the shipping costs. I told her I just
sent a part across the US that weighs 28 times what the belt does for
$3.85 USPS Priority mail. I told her forget it, and told her I will
never buy another Jet tool. I called Grizzly and the CSR told me the
price was $25.00 for the belt (the 9x20 lathes are all the same). I got
an email from them last week that quoted the price at $20.00. They went
up YESTERDAY 25% on this part. I also told them no thanks. I looked at
my bookshelf and spotted the Enco catalog. Called them and got a price
of $14.xx for the belt and about $5.00 shipping. Done deal, ordered two
so I wouldn't have to do this again.

I hear about how Jet tools are a lot like Delta. Maybe, but their parts
are getting the same also, and that is not a good thing.

Jamie Norwood............cooling down as I am writing this.

Log

Goto an autoparts store and I am sure you can find a belt there to help you
out or add a pully and use a longer one..

-- Log

Macgyverize it works for me

wrote in message
[...]

Bob G.

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 23:05:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

*Somebody* must make a compatible belt - I doubt that JET and Grizzly make
their own.

I'd try vacuum cleaner and sewing machine repair shops. I wonder if you
could make one by splicing "O" ring material?

To charge $20 for shipping a belt is pushing the S & H thing quite a bit.

============================
Good suggestion on vacuum cleaner stores... from experience they have
a TON of belts ...
But I would grab an old pair of my wives panty hose and attempt to
make my own belt before I dropped close to 50 bucks for a belt and
shipping....

Bob Griffiths

It's not who makes them, it's who sells them, they are hard to find. I
could have ordered one from a dealer and waited until he had enough Jet
parts to put in an order, but with the Internet, why bother. Jet
charges shipping based on the amount of the order, not on actual
shipping charge from UPS, or even by weight. I told her I could order a
%15.00 bowling ball (if they sold them) and it would be shipped to me
for half what the 1/4oz belt would cost, make that make sense to me, she
couldn't. She said they couldn't track USPS shipments, and it cost to
process the order. Blah, Blah, Blah. Just another ripoff.

wrote:

*Somebody* must make a compatible belt - I doubt that JET and Grizzly make
their own.

I'd try vacuum cleaner and sewing machine repair shops. I wonder if you
could make one by splicing "O" ring material?

To charge $20 for shipping a belt is pushing the S & H thing quite a bit.

============================
Good suggestion on vacuum cleaner stores... from experience they have
a TON of belts ...
But I would grab an old pair of my wives panty hose and attempt to
make my own belt before I dropped close to 50 bucks for a belt and
shipping....

Bob Griffiths

Greg O

wrote in message
It's not who makes them, it's who sells them, they are hard to find. I
could have ordered one from a dealer and waited until he had enough Jet
parts to put in an order, but with the Internet, why bother. Jet charges
shipping based on the amount of the order, not on actual shipping charge
from UPS, or even by weight. I told her I could order a %15.00 bowling
ball (if they sold them) and it would be shipped to me for half what the
1/4oz belt would cost, make that make sense to me, she couldn't. She said
they couldn't track USPS shipments, and it cost to process the order.
Blah, Blah, Blah. Just another ripoff.

Not to defend Jet, but I worked for a large wholesale house and their cost
to process an order was $50. Jet probably would lose money on your belt
purchase.
Greg

Roy Smith

"Greg O" wrote:
Not to defend Jet, but I worked for a large wholesale house and their cost
to process an order was $50. Jet probably would lose money on your belt
purchase.

I'm sure that's true. Enter an order into the system, track it through
shipping, mail a bill, receive the payment, match it up with the invoice in
the A/R dept, deposit the check, blah, blah, blah.

A lot of big companies handle this by just dropping some small item into an
envelope and giving you a freebie. Sometimes it's marked "engineering
sample" to get around stupid internal regs which prevent them from giving
away freebies. Chalk it up to good customer relations.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg O" wrote in message

Not to defend Jet, but I worked for a large wholesale house and their cost
to process an order was $50. Jet probably would lose money on your belt
purchase.
Greg

I you set up a small parts department properly, you can handle small orders
efficiently. Not free, but less than $50. If this is a common part for
replacement, they can be put into mailing envelopes in a bin ready to go.
Slap a label, affix the postage, and off it goes.

To operate a business it must make a profit in order to satisfy customers,
but if you go too far and lose sales, the losses are greater than the gains.
The OP will never buy a Jet tool so the profit on a lost sale of a bandsaw,
DC, whatever, far exceeds the loss on the belt sale.

FWIW, the minimum order for my company is $300.

USENET READER

$50 bucks to process an order? Who did they have working this place - a
buncha snails?

Now I know that many other costs are factored in here - Social Security,
Workman's Comp, all taxes (federal, state, property taxes, etc.), but
that sounds ridiculous. How long a period of time did they figure it
took to process that order?

Greg O wrote:
wrote in message

It's not who makes them, it's who sells them, they are hard to find. I
could have ordered one from a dealer and waited until he had enough Jet
parts to put in an order, but with the Internet, why bother. Jet charges
shipping based on the amount of the order, not on actual shipping charge
from UPS, or even by weight. I told her I could order a %15.00 bowling
ball (if they sold them) and it would be shipped to me for half what the
1/4oz belt would cost, make that make sense to me, she couldn't. She said
they couldn't track USPS shipments, and it cost to process the order.
Blah, Blah, Blah. Just another ripoff.

Not to defend Jet, but I worked for a large wholesale house and their cost
to process an order was $50. Jet probably would lose money on your belt
purchase.
Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

"USENET READER" wrote in message
news
$50 bucks to process an order? Who did they have working this place - a
buncha snails?

Now I know that many other costs are factored in here - Social Security,
Workman's Comp, all taxes (federal, state, property taxes, etc.), but that
sounds ridiculous. How long a period of time did they figure it took to
process that order?

Depends on the product. Many of our orders cost $100 to $300 to process as
shipment with billing of $200 to $7000. You can't speak in generalities.
Big mail order firms process hundreds, maybe thousands of orders a day while
Boeing may handle one. A big shipping day for us is 8 orders and it can
take four people most of the day to get them out the door.

Greg O

"USENET READER" wrote in message
news
$50 bucks to process an order? Who did they have working this place - a
buncha snails?

Salesman places the order, enters into the computer. Order is picked,
shipped or loaded on one of their many delivery trucks. Driver drops off the
product, gets packing list signed. An order entry clerk confirms all was
shipped, and corrects the bill and back orders any products not shipped.
Another body prepares and sends out a bill, then at months end a statement.
I probably have missed a step or two, including the person that placed the
stock order to stock the warehouse shelve, the person that received the
product into the warehouse and put it on the shelve.
Do the math and every step adds a few seconds to several minutes to the
process. Before you know it you have an hour or more spent just doing work
caused from processing an order. Small orders are quick, large orders take
more time.
All the steps are caused one way or another from a customer's order.
Greg

Lobby Dosser

"Greg O" wrote:

[...]

Profits are caused by repeat business and word of mouth.
Jim & Sharon

try a google search you would be amazed at what you will find
experiment with different words in your search, for example length of
belt, size,type what it is for, etc etc etc.

George

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:46:11 -0500, Bob G.
wrote:

But I would grab an old pair of my wives panty hose and attempt to
make my own belt before I dropped close to 50 bucks for a belt and
shipping....

You could buy a new and unused pair and still save a bunch of money.

Why does everyone always use OLD panty hose, toothbrushes, wiper
blades, etc... when new ones only cost a few bucks?

They smell better?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ba r r y" wrote in message

Why does everyone always use OLD panty hose, toothbrushes, wiper
blades, etc... when new ones only cost a few bucks?

Barry

Old pantyhose have character and a nice patina.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Profits are caused by repeat business and word of mouth.

Profits are caused by selling at a higher amount than your costs.

O D

$50.. Good lord. How much does the company figure it cost them when an
employee goes to take a dump? Or do they have to use the restroom on
their own time or break time?

Edwin Pawlowski

"O D" wrote in message
$50.. Good lord. How much does the company figure it cost them when an
employee goes to take a dump? Or do they have to use the restroom on
their own time or break time?

I bill shop help at $50 an hour. How much does it cost to take a dump? At
five minutes per day, that is 20 hours per year or a half a week's vacation
time. How much does it cost to smoke? If you have one smoke an hour at 5
minutes, that is 40 minutes per day. 166 hour per year. Not a bad vacation.

Greg O

"O D" wrote in message
$50.. Good lord. How much does the company figure it cost them when an
employee goes to take a dump?

The boys with the calculators probably know!

Or do they have to use the restroom on
their own time or break time?

That was the preferred method!!
Greg

Lee DeRaud

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 13:01:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Profits are caused by repeat business and word of mouth.

Profits are caused by selling at a higher amount than your costs.

Amen. But the "lose a little on each sale, and make it up in volume"
myth is *very* appealing to some.

Lee

Greg O

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"O D" wrote in message
$50.. Good lord. How much does the company figure it cost them when an
employee goes to take a dump? Or do they have to use the restroom on
their own time or break time?

I bill shop help at $50 an hour. How much does it cost to take a dump?
At five minutes per day, that is 20 hours per year or a half a week's
vacation time. How much does it cost to smoke? If you have one smoke an
hour at 5 minutes, that is 40 minutes per day. 166 hour per year. Not a
bad vacation.

We just "laid off" a guy at our shop for that reason. He could not work with
out a cigarette burning. As there is no smoking allow inside businesses in
our city, (city ordinance), he had to go outside. Tough to get any work done
when you are a chain smoker! 5 minute breaks every 10 minutes are pretty
unproductive!
Greg

John DeBoo

Greg O wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...

"O D" wrote in message

$50.. Good lord. How much does the company figure it cost them when an
employee goes to take a dump? Or do they have to use the restroom on
their own time or break time?

I bill shop help at $50 an hour. How much does it cost to take a dump?
At five minutes per day, that is 20 hours per year or a half a week's
vacation time. How much does it cost to smoke? If you have one smoke an
hour at 5 minutes, that is 40 minutes per day. 166 hour per year. Not a
bad vacation.

We just "laid off" a guy at our shop for that reason. He could not work with
out a cigarette burning. As there is no smoking allow inside businesses in
our city, (city ordinance), he had to go outside. Tough to get any work done
when you are a chain smoker! 5 minute breaks every 10 minutes are pretty
unproductive!
Greg

There's a big difference between smoking (a choice) and dropping the
kids off at the pool (a necessity). I guess if one has the hershey
squirts their in real trouble.
John

Bob G.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 01:10:46 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

"Greg O" wrote:

Not to defend Jet, but I worked for a large wholesale house and their
cost to process an order was $50. Jet probably would lose money on
your belt purchase.
Greg

They just did.

===================
LOL.... As a retired retailer....you can sometimes MAKE money by not
selling something...

Why should the sell, pick,invoice,pack and ship
an item.... if they loose money.... I got a feeling they had better
institute some cost controls...

Bob Griffiths

Bob G.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 04:52:37 GMT, USENET READER
wrote:

$50 bucks to process an order? Who did they have working this place - a
buncha snails?

Now I know that many other costs are factored in here - Social Security,
Workman's Comp, all taxes (federal, state, property taxes, etc.), but
that sounds ridiculous. How long a period of time did they figure it
took to process that order?

Greg O wrote:

======================
Start a business and you will see... LOL
Even the ground that the building sits on costs a company....

Bob G.
Bob G.

Why does everyone always use OLD panty hose, toothbrushes, wiper
blades, etc... when new ones only cost a few bucks?

Just last week I replaced the wiper blades on my wives van (I very
rarely drive it)...and yesterday she walked in to my shop and
exciteltly..and very proud of herself .. told me she just had NEW
blades installed...

I kept my mouth shut...

BUT I did wonder why the kid who actually replaced the blades did not
notice they were brand new..never used ...never even saw any rain...
rubber was still shinny... lol

Bob G

Owen Lawrence

"Bob G." wrote in message
news

Why does everyone always use OLD panty hose, toothbrushes, wiper
blades, etc... when new ones only cost a few bucks?

Just last week I replaced the wiper blades on my wives van (I very

You put all your wives in one van?!

- Owen -

Mark

This is why you need a good machinery dealer.
Skarie in Baltimroe has shielded me on more than one occassion from a
manufacturer (including Jet - burned up a motor under warranty).
Mark

wrote in message
[...]

Lobby Dosser

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Profits are caused by repeat business and word of mouth.

Profits are caused by selling at a higher amount than your costs.

That too.

O D

Guess you missed my point although it was not really clear. But maybe
the mfg should send spare parts that wear out.
They know the belt will wear so why not ust price the machine with
spares? Nooooo they have to **** off the customer like this.
Went to a chevron sa station 3 mos ago got $38 in gas then pulled over
to put some air in a tire. The machine said ..50 went inside and asked
and lady said yes everyone pays . Said just bought gas. Still have to
pay. Said thanks but this is the last time chevron goes in my truck.
Went to another station got free air. Have not put air n my tires in
over 30 yrs. Should be a cost of doing business or have a code a cust
can punch in like they do with the car wash. Hell no we need the .50 .
Now don't go tell me that the free air for one veh will be cost
prohibited. After they buy gas. People don't use air every time they
fill up. But you can get a coffee inside and help yourself to all the
mustard relish ketchup straws napkins etc. Now where is the logic. They
have a build in system to **** off the customer. Add a few buck send
along an extra belt and forget it. Better yet, what would robin Lee do?

George E. Cawthon

Greg O wrote:
[...]

So? If they get $10 an hour (wages, benefits,
etc.), it cost the company $10, not $20. I worked
where the estimated cost of letter was calculated
as $10, and processing a check (for jury duty)
cost the company way more than the check was worth.

Every one of those orders costs extra, right?
Nope, only for the most efficient business with
exactly the right number of employees. That
doesn't happen often. In many case, it doesn't
cost the company anything because the employees
would be sitting on the butts doing nothing, maybe
even doing something that cost the company a lot.

The only way to know how much it costs to process
orders is to divide the total cost by the total
number of orders. Does that mean that if the cost
averages $10 than another order would cost $10?
Probably not. It might just mean that the average
cost of the processing order just dropped slightly
when you average that next order in. There is no
strict answer as it depends on the company
operation.

It doesn't really matter. If a company is just
breaking even on mailing and handling costs, and
it costs $20 for a simple product always (or
should be always) in stock, then the company is
doing something wrong.

George E. Cawthon

Bob G. wrote:
Why does everyone always use OLD panty hose, toothbrushes, wiper
blades, etc... when new ones only cost a few bucks?

Just last week I replaced the wiper blades on my wives van (I very
rarely drive it)...and yesterday she walked in to my shop and
exciteltly..and very proud of herself .. told me she just had NEW
blades installed...

I kept my mouth shut...

BUT I did wonder why the kid who actually replaced the blades did not
notice they were brand new..never used ...never even saw any rain...
rubber was still shinny... lol

Bob G

Ah, lack of communication!
OTOH, "wives van?" Exactly how many wives do you
have?
Greg O

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
news

So? If they get $10 an hour (wages, benefits, etc.), it cost the company
$10, not $20. I worked where the estimated cost of letter was calculated
as $10, and processing a check (for jury duty) cost the company way more
than the check was worth.

A $10 per hour employee does not cost the company $10 per hour, probably
closer to
$15, maybe more.
You also forgot the cost of everything else, cost of the warehouse, heat,
lights, insurance....
It all goes into the cost of doing business.
Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

The only way to know how much it costs to process orders is to divide the
total cost by the total number of orders.

Very inaccurate. In my company, we can ship a single item that will cost
maybe $50 to process and minute later ship a triler of floor loaded product
that takes 3 people 90 minutes. Should I add the cost and divide by to to
get my actual cost per order? If the same exact process has to be gone throu
for each order, it will work, but if a $5000 order takes more time to
process, pull, pack, ship, than a $20 order, the average would be scewed.

In the case of the belt, they should have them to just drop in an envelope,
put on a label and stamp and it is done. That is far less than gathering
six items, packing them for a single shipment weiging and doing a UPS
shipment. How about a truckload order that takes over and hour load on the
trailer?

If a company is just breaking even on mailing and handling costs, and it
costs $20 for a simple product always (or should be always) in stock, then
the company is doing something wrong.

Agreed

Owen Lawrence

"O D" wrote in message
[...]

What would Robin Lee do? Tell you that the syringe tip that comes with that
$8 2oz bottle of Chair Doctor glue can be cleaned with water and reused
indefinitely, then charge an arm and a leg for a couple of replacement tips
when it glues shut anyway, inspite of a thorough cleaning immediately after
using it.

- Owen -

Tim and Steph

"Ba r r y" wrote in message

Why does everyone always use OLD panty hose, toothbrushes, wiper
blades, etc... when new ones only cost a few bucks?

Barry

Old pantyhose have character and a nice patina.

If they've got patina, penicillin should clear that right up.