Patriarch

Default help with finishing

"Sam the Cat" wrote in
:

I am looking for any thought on what else to try -- if sanding /
scraping is the way to go then so bit it, just want to make sure I am
not missing anything.

VM&P Naptha, in a well ventilated shop. Use lots of rags, and hang them to
dry, outside if possible. You want to remove the wax most of all, first,
and the naptha should do that. You shouldn't need more than that.

BTW, some cherry is going to blotch anyway. What you have may be prone to
that. DAGS on cherry + oil finish, and or look over at Jeff Jewitt's site,
www.homesteadfinishing.com

Patriarch
dadiOH

Sam the Cat wrote:
I have a piece of cherry furniture that I am (re)working due to finish
problems.

Original finish was 3 coats full strength pure tung oil (lee valley).
On the top I added a coat of furniture wax.

I thought I gave the tun oil plenty of time to cure in the process
(about 2 weeks), but evidently not. The oil and the wax reacted and
the surface became very rough and blotchy -- even places where I did
not use the wax became rough as well.

Hate to ask but you did thoroughly wipe off the tung oil that remained
on the surface after applying each coat, right? I ask because my lame
father in law tried to put it on like varnish, wound up a pretty mess.
Also a sticky one

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Sam the Cat

"dadiOH" wrote in message news:_Wg3e.62$Jn2.9@trnddc09...
Hate to ask but you did thoroughly wipe off the tung oil that remained
on the surface after applying each coat, right? I ask because my lame
father in law tried to put it on like varnish, wound up a pretty mess.
Also a sticky one

Sure did -- I have also used tung oil full strength before as well, but it
was a different brand

Dave Balderstone

In article , Sam the Cat
wrote:

I am looking for any thought on what else to try -- if sanding / scraping is
the way to go then so bit it, just want to make sure I am not missing
anything.

When you say scrape, are you meaning with a cabinet scraper? I had to
remove wax from a maple CD shelf recently and a sharp scraper with a 5
degree hook did a great job.

George

"Sam the Cat" wrote in message

I have tried using pure mineral siprits to cut through the wax and it did
not seem to help. I am currently trying to sand / scrape my way through

the
finish. Its getting a bit frustrating as I am loading up sanding pads on
the order 1/sqft of wood with caked on gunk (I assume finish)

I am looking for any thought on what else to try -- if sanding / scraping

is
the way to go then so bit it, just want to make sure I am not missing
anything.

Try a woven pad that you can rinse out periodically. Alternative is wet
sanding with SiC.