Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default collapsing banquet table frame to cut plywood sheets - File 2 of 2 - IMG_2807 [800x600].JPG (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
collapsing banquet table frame to cut plywood sheets - File 2 of 2 - IMG_2807 [800x600].JPG (1/1)-img_2807-%5B800x600%5D-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

that will be a heavy table.
I made one similar and just used 1x2 framing, and lightweight ply on top,
glued and stapled.
It is used for camping, and shop work. Very light and easy to store.
I painted the top too, and it came out great.
john

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"jloomis" wrote in
:

that will be a heavy table.
I made one similar and just used 1x2 framing, and lightweight ply on
top, glued and stapled.
It is used for camping, and shop work. Very light and easy to store.
I painted the top too, and it came out great.
john
"Han" wrote in message

That'll be my next one ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message ...

IMHO, You do not have enough strength in the long 2 x's on the outside. That will be the weak point, by far.

The 2 x's could be strengthened by standing one up fastened to the one on the side. Either that, or some 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/16" angle iron on the sides of them.
--
Jim in NC
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Morgans" wrote in
:

IMHO, You do not have enough strength in the long 2 x's on the
outside. That will be the weak point, by far.

The 2 x's could be strengthened by standing one up fastened to the
one on the side. Either that, or some 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/16" angle
iron on the sides of them.

It's just to support a 4x8 ft sheet while doing preparatory cuts. It's not
designed to support 15 people grin.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote

It's just to support a 4x8 ft sheet while doing preparatory cuts. It's
not
designed to support 15 people grin.

I see that, now.

Move along, people. Nothing to see, here. g
--
Jim in NC

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message

I made this totally collapsable cutting stand with 2 Stanley folding saw
horses, which I already had, and 4- 2x4's. All 2x4's come appart and fit
together with half lap joints..

I would have provided a real life picture but it is supposting and is hidden
by 20+ maple 1" x 8" x 8' boards at the moment.

Swingman and I recently used the set up to cut some 15-20 sheets of plywood.

See attached PDF.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cutting stand.pdf (229.2 KB, 88 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Leon" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message

I made this totally collapsable cutting stand with 2 Stanley folding
saw horses, which I already had, and 4- 2x4's. All 2x4's come appart
and fit together with half lap joints..

I would have provided a real life picture but it is supposting and is
hidden by 20+ maple 1" x 8" x 8' boards at the moment.

Swingman and I recently used the set up to cut some 15-20 sheets of
plywood.

snip

The advantage of this is multipurpose and total collapsability (sp?). The
advantage of setups like mine is that it is a 1-piece contraption, and can
be used to "flip" sheet on its top by placing it next to 4x8 sheets
standing on edge. DAMHIKT in a good way!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Han" wrote in message

I made this totally collapsable cutting stand with 2 Stanley folding saw
horses, which I already had, and 4- 2x4's. All 2x4's come appart and fit
together with half lap joints..

I would have provided a real life picture but it is supposting and is
hidden by 20+ maple 1" x 8" x 8' boards at the moment.

Swingman and I recently used the set up to cut some 15-20 sheets of
plywood.

See attached PDF.

Looks good Leon.

The only problem I see with it is that it can be totally lost some place.
As it is so collapsible, that it won't look like a cutting table!

Does that notch on the bottom board secure well to the top of the sawhorse?
I assume it would be OK if snug enough.

Kudos for practical and low tech. Often, simple is best.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message

I made this totally collapsable cutting stand with 2 Stanley folding
saw horses, which I already had, and 4- 2x4's. All 2x4's come appart
and fit together with half lap joints..

I would have provided a real life picture but it is supposting and is
hidden by 20+ maple 1" x 8" x 8' boards at the moment.

Swingman and I recently used the set up to cut some 15-20 sheets of
plywood.

snip

The advantage of this is multipurpose and total collapsability (sp?). The
advantage of setups like mine is that it is a 1-piece contraption, and can
be used to "flip" sheet on its top by placing it next to 4x8 sheets
standing on edge. DAMHIKT in a good way!

Ah yes, yours would make it easier to place a full sheet up there ny your
self.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
b.com...

Looks good Leon.

The only problem I see with it is that it can be totally lost some place.
As it is so collapsible, that it won't look like a cutting table!

Yeah 6 2x4's can get lost if you have a lot of that material around the
shop. ;~)

Does that notch on the bottom board secure well to the top of the
sawhorse? I assume it would be OK if snug enough.

Yes it does hold well. Two things though, the actual boards have 1/2"
dowels sticking out of the bottoms that engage the holes in the saw horses
once you remove the rubber pads. In real life I find myself skipping that
step and simply let the notches do the work. The rubber pads on the saw
horse holds every thing well enough. I have never had it slip off.

Kudos for practical and low tech. Often, simple is best.

..
Not totally my design, I tweeked one I saw in a magazine a bit. I
appreciate the fact that it can be a large cutting area that sets up quickly
and disappears when not in use.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Actually numbering each piece with a Sharpie at the joint is working
out well. ;~)

--------------------
Great minds run in the same gutterG

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 16 Jan 2011 12:59:29 GMT, Han wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in
:

IMHO, You do not have enough strength in the long 2 x's on the
outside. That will be the weak point, by far.

The 2 x's could be strengthened by standing one up fastened to the
one on the side. Either that, or some 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/16" angle
iron on the sides of them.

It's just to support a 4x8 ft sheet while doing preparatory cuts. It's not
designed to support 15 people grin.

I'd feel _much_ more comfortable about it if the thread title was
"folding banquet table..." rather than "collapsing..."

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Actually numbering each piece with a Sharpie at the joint is working out
well. ;~)

You mean you didn't build it with enough precision for it to fit together no
mater what piece you pick up?

Shirley not!
--
Jim in NC

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote in message

Actually numbering each piece with a Sharpie at the joint is working out
well. ;~)

You mean you didn't build it with enough precision for it to fit together
no mater what piece you pick up?

Shirley not!
--
Jim in NC

Actually all the joints were cut using a KerfMaker jig and later assembled.
The pieces will all fit in different locations but not quite as easily.
Construction lumber tends to change shape when you cut joints and I test
fitted before deciding on which combination was the smoothest to assemble
and disassemble.