Apteryx

Default Making a flat strong collapsing table

I fashioned myself a nifty wee table for holding my pint etc. whilst gigging
in the band (I got fed up with the number of pints being kicked over on
stage!). It needed to be strong, rigid and stable, yet fold as flat as
possible to fit in my instrument case with no raised screwheads etc. I
ended up using 3 pieces of 4mm 3-ply wood to make a table 40cm x 26 x 32
(high). Each leg piece has a hinged triangle which folds under the table to
lock the legs in place. The two leg sections fold one over t'other, under
the table to give a flat height of just 17mm! Whoo hoo!

Looks like this:

=========================
| / =====
|! / \ |
| / \ !|
| \ |
| |
| |

=============
| | / |
| |! / |
| | / |
| |
| |
|_____________ |

! = hinge

Problem is, I'd used Araldite glue to attach the metal hinges rather than
screws. Most of the construction seems strong enough and lasted for a few
weeks, but one hinge was taking a bit more load than the others and has come
loose twice.

Is there a better way to secure these hinges without increasing the flat
height?
Is there a better material to use than 4mm 3-ply that's fairly cheap?
Is there a better construct?

Thanks in anticipation

Drew

Apteryx

Thanks Steve

The Ikea folding legs seem a good idea. I've searched their website but
can't find anything but trestle legs. Can you give a me a link?

Cheers

Drew

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
Apteryx wrote:

Is there a better way to secure these hinges without increasing the flat
height?

Screws, or since the material is very thin, machine screws (nut and
"bolt") with a countersunk head put through from top of the table and
then through the holes in the hinge. Use countersunk heads so that the
scre sits flush with the surface.

Is there a better material to use than 4mm 3-ply that's fairly cheap?

No, 4mm 3ply sounds too thin TBH.

Is there a better construct?

A cheap and easy solution is to use the folding legs from Ikea. These
can be attached to any bit of material to use as a table top. The legs
are lightweight and have a stay to hold them in place when folded out.

I've made several folding tables for my wife this way using 9mm ply.

friendly advice in a flame-free environment.

N. Thornton

"Apteryx" wrote in message ...
I fashioned myself a nifty wee table for holding my pint etc. whilst gigging
in the band (I got fed up with the number of pints being kicked over on
stage!). It needed to be strong, rigid and stable, yet fold as flat as
possible to fit in my instrument case with no raised screwheads etc. I
ended up using 3 pieces of 4mm 3-ply wood to make a table 40cm x 26 x 32
(high). Each leg piece has a hinged triangle which folds under the table to
lock the legs in place. The two leg sections fold one over t'other, under
the table to give a flat height of just 17mm! Whoo hoo!

Looks like this:

=========================
| / =====
|! / \ |
| / \ !|
| \ |
| |
| |

=============
| | / |
| |! / |
| | / |
| |
| |
|_____________ |

! = hinge

Problem is, I'd used Araldite glue to attach the metal hinges rather than
screws. Most of the construction seems strong enough and lasted for a few
weeks, but one hinge was taking a bit more load than the others and has come
loose twice.

Is there a better way to secure these hinges without increasing the flat
height?
Is there a better material to use than 4mm 3-ply that's fairly cheap?
Is there a better construct?

Thanks in anticipation

Drew

I think araldite is not flexible enough, and ISTR doesnt bond that
well to wood. I'm unsure what to suggest, but might try a good
no-nails thing?

The bigger thing though is you need several hinges, not just 1 or 2.
Then each takes only a fraction of the load - also if one or 2 drop
off, the table still works fine. They must all be lined up perfectly
though - or even use a piano hinge.

Regards, NT
Apteryx

Alas, my original spec. (40cm x 26 x 32, to fit in the case) doesn't allow
for such large legs. The machine screws may be the way forward.

Thanks

Apteryx wrote:

The Ikea folding legs seem a good idea. I've searched their website but
can't find anything but trestle legs. Can you give a me a link?

Yeh, what you want is Vika Fälle, leg frame foldable £32 for a pair.

http://tinyurl.com/4ypmc

Or search for "leg" on the Ikea website and it is on page 15. Law of Sod
says it would be the 15th out of 16 pages.

friendly advice in a flame-free environment.