Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default 3D step 1 - Vanity With Doors and Drawers 1.pdf

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vanity With Doors and Drawers 1.pdf (4.0 KB, 44 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Sketchup!

If you don't have it, send me a dimensioned front elevation .dwg and I'll
pop it in for you.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:52:58 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Sketchup!

If you don't have it, send me a dimensioned front elevation .dwg and I'll
pop it in for you.

Swing, I'm not quite sure why you'd want me to use Sketchup on this.
What you see in the pdf was drawn using AutoDesk Inventor.

I'm intending to animate and render that drawing and then show the
various drawings of the subcomponents.

The little bit of playing around with Sketchup that I've done makes me
think that it is a decent rapid design sketch tool but is not really
in the same league with Inventor, SolidWorks, ProE, etc.

I'm not being dismissive of its abilities, particularly because I may
not fully understand them.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote

The little bit of playing around with Sketchup that I've done makes me
think that it is a decent rapid design sketch tool but is not really
in the same league with Inventor, SolidWorks, ProE, etc.

I agree ... it took me about three passes at it (thinking all the while it
seemed more worthy of comic strip work) before it finally dawned on me
exactly how really astounding the program is for it's quickness in allowing
you to get your point across to a client.

I'm not being dismissive of its abilities, particularly because I may
not fully understand them.

I understand perfectly. However, I've since learned, in a relatively short
time, to do everything from quickly 3 D modeling a project, to building a
house with the assistance of the free version of Sketchup ... that's a
pretty good ROI for the utility gained.

I also liked the relatively gentle learning curve over the high priced
competitors ... although I still have a lot to learn before I consider
myself as proficient with Sketchup as with my old 2d CAD programs.

That said, I find myself becoming more evangelical about SU every time I do
something with it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default 3D step 1 - Vanity With Doors and Drawers 1.pdf - 45291.pdf (0/1)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 07:34:47 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

That said, I find myself becoming more evangelical about SU every time I do
something with it.

The Hettich pro website makes pre made 3D objects available in various
file formats.

The attachment shows a drawing of the Inventor object.

I don't know if you're into that sort of thing but you might want to
see if there is something that you can import directly into Sketchup.

http://www.hettich.com/en/carpenter/832.php

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default 3D step 1 - Vanity With Doors and Drawers 1.pdf - 45291.pdf (1/1)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 45291.pdf (32.2 KB, 38 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote

The Hettich pro website makes pre made 3D objects available in various
file formats.

The attachment shows a drawing of the Inventor object.

I don't know if you're into that sort of thing but you might want to
see if there is something that you can import directly into Sketchup.

http://www.hettich.com/en/carpenter/832.php

Many company's do the same for Sketchup. For example, Kohler is big with
their models of plumbing fixtures, plus countless others, from cabinetry to
architectural shapes. For just a tip of the 3d model iceberg:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...a6e9&ct= hpr2

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:17:30 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

For just a tip of the 3d model iceberg:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...a6e9&ct= hpr2

Very cool.

Thanks.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Tom, Did you learn on AutoCad or Inventor? I've heard others prefer
Inventor of AutoCAD for its ability to resize in 3D and particularly for
cabinet drawings. I have AutoCAD now and plan to take a class on using its
3D abilities. Unfortunately not available until next Spring. I watched the
instructor create quickly in 3D with AutoCAD and am hesitant to learn and
spend the additional money on inventor or even Sketchup before seeing what
it can do..
Just wondering what you thought of Inventor and if you've used AutoCAD is
the advantages great enough to go the additional expense.. Thanks..

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Sketchup!

If you don't have it, send me a dimensioned front elevation .dwg and I'll
pop it in for you.

Swing, I'm not quite sure why you'd want me to use Sketchup on this.
What you see in the pdf was drawn using AutoDesk Inventor.

I'm intending to animate and render that drawing and then show the
various drawings of the subcomponents.

The little bit of playing around with Sketchup that I've done makes me
think that it is a decent rapid design sketch tool but is not really
in the same league with Inventor, SolidWorks, ProE, etc.

I'm not being dismissive of its abilities, particularly because I may
not fully understand them.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've downloaded Sketchup a couple times
and it always starts off telling me I have "..480 minutes left in the
evaluation". I'm assuming after the evaluation period you have to pony up
to the counter with $500.

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Tom Watson" wrote

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:28:11 -0700, "Jim Hall"
wrote:

Tom, Did you learn on AutoCad or Inventor? I've heard others prefer
Inventor of AutoCAD for its ability to resize in 3D and particularly for
cabinet drawings. I have AutoCAD now and plan to take a class on using its
3D abilities. Unfortunately not available until next Spring. I watched the
instructor create quickly in 3D with AutoCAD and am hesitant to learn and
spend the additional money on inventor or even Sketchup before seeing what
it can do..
Just wondering what you thought of Inventor and if you've used AutoCAD is
the advantages great enough to go the additional expense.. Thanks..

Jim:

Most of my 2D drawing has been in TurboCad. I'm really not very good
at AutoCad.

I started using Inventor four or five years ago because they were
beginning to use it where I was working.

I heard many of the AutoCad guys bitching about switching over and, in
fact, most of them continued to use AutoCad when they had to do
something quickly.

It seemed pretty intuitive to me and I thought that was because the
basics of the program seemed to have a thought process kind of like a
cabinetmaker. You make the slab and then you form edges, joinery and
penetrations. Then you snap them together using constraints.

Inventor is not a RAD tool, it's forte is tying together the design
process from the point where a 3D prototype would be made, through to
the manufacturing process. Once you make the parts and assemblies in
the program the rest of your drawings are basically a matter of
formatting. It will even give output that can be used by CNC
equipment.

That said, Inventor is by no means the top dog in its category.
AutoDesk got into the game late and SolidWorks and ProE have more
installed seats out there.

Inventor is also expensive.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I keep looking for you on the golf channel as you told us all you were
retired a couple of years ago. As far as the pdfs go when I open them all I
see is some barely legible sketches with little biddy squares all over
them........mjh

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 21:04:26 -0400, "mike hide"
wrote:

I keep looking for you on the golf channel as you told us all you were
retired a couple of years ago. As far as the pdfs go when I open them all I
see is some barely legible sketches with little biddy squares all over
them........mjh

You are a serious pain in my ass, as I would have you use the pictures
to berate me for my lacking.

If I might have the temerity to ask, could you possibly give me an
email addy, so that I might flood you with enough ammuntion for you to
disrespect me on a more personal level.

(glad to see you're still around mikey -- keeps you out of the boozer)

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mike hide" wrote in message
retired a couple of years ago. As far as the pdfs go when I open them all

see is some barely legible sketches with little biddy squares all over
them........mjh

You're probably viewing them at modified size so they fit your screen. Try
increasing the size of the image or go to view and select 100%.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've downloaded Sketchup a couple times
and it always starts off telling me I have "..480 minutes left in the
evaluation". I'm assuming after the evaluation period you have to pony

up
to the counter with $500.

Download the free version, not the "pro" version. What I have been able to
glean about the SU marketing methodology, there is no difference in
"functionality" between the two, with the exception that the "pro" version
has additional export/presentation features for those who would use it for
presentation to clients on a more polished scale than your basic
woodworker/furniture/cabinetmaker.

That said, I'm quite comfortable with the fact that if my assumption above
is not correct to the minutest degree, that fact will be pounced upon
rigorously, and at lightspeed.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote

You are a serious pain in my ass, as I would have you use the pictures
to berate me for my lacking.

If I might have the temerity to ask, could you possibly give me an
email addy, so that I might flood you with enough ammuntion for you to
disrespect me on a more personal level.

(glad to see you're still around mikey -- keeps you out of the boozer)

ROTFLMAO ... a masterful bit of prose, Mr. Watson. You may well have missed
your calling!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" revealed to us all

That said, I'm quite comfortable with the fact that if my assumption above
is not correct to the minutest degree, that fact will be pounced upon
rigorously, and at lightspeed.

blinking eyes slowly

Rigorously, .................. lightspeed?

Whacha talkin' bout man?

scratchin the ole noggin

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
news

"Swingman" revealed to us all

That said, I'm quite comfortable with the fact that if my assumption

above
is not correct to the minutest degree, that fact will be pounced upon
rigorously, and at lightspeed.

blinking eyes slowly

Rigorously, .................. lightspeed?

Whacha talkin' bout man?

"Sir!, not be informed to the highest degree of accuracy, I hesitate to
articulate, for fear that I may deviate, from the true course of rectitude.
In short, sir, I am a dumb Fish and do not know, Sir!"

(What we, as Aggie freshman ("Fish" in days of yore), were required to
quote, within the space of five, oft timed seconds, in response to an
upperclassmen's request for information when we had even the slightest doubt
of the accuracy of our response (all responses to such requests were
assumed, as a matter of course, to require accuracy to the nth degree)).

Look it up ... but, it's pretty well a given that you "had to be there".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Tom Watson" wrote

You are a serious pain in my ass, as I would have you use the pictures
to berate me for my lacking.

If I might have the temerity to ask, could you possibly give me an
email addy, so that I might flood you with enough ammuntion for you to
disrespect me on a more personal level.

(glad to see you're still around mikey -- keeps you out of the boozer)

ROTFLMAO ... a masterful bit of prose, Mr. Watson. You may well have

missed
your calling!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

whatsa email addy ?an email address, if so it is included in the post.. But
then again for those who forget to sign their cards, it"s
.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

There ain't no book readin that is a good substitute for experience.

Still not able to get free version of that blasted Sketchup program to load
on my computer. Maybe it doesn't like Vista operating sys.. Old versions
won't load and current non Pro version from Goggle sight has limited time.
No big deal.

Thanks for info..

"Swingman" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks, Tom. I just checked and appears Autodesk no longer sells student
version of Inventor Pro for $400+.. only a 13 month term student version for
~$150.. Student version of SolidWorks is ~$140 and that one is taught at
local Junior College too.. First, I'll see what this AutoCAD 2008 version
can do in 3D next spring.. and go from there..

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jim Hall" wrote

Still not able to get free version of that blasted Sketchup program to
load on my computer. Maybe it doesn't like Vista operating sys.. Old
versions won't load and current non Pro version from Goggle sight has
limited time. No big deal.

I don't think it's Vista. My laptop runs Vista Business and SU 6 runs faster
on it than any other computer in the office. AAMOF, I prefer to work on it
with SU because of the performance, even with the smaller screen.

FWIW ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08