Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Blanket chest made from southern yellow pine.. - 3 attachments

Greetings All...

This was commisioned by the Mrs. as a wedding present for a freind of
ours...I will be taking it to Springfeild MO to live in the next day or so,
I was was cutting the deadline close...

Anyways, its all SYP about 20" wide 20" deep and 40" long, The lid was so
heavy I installed those spring loaded lifters to help hold it up...these
are some smaller photos so everyone should be able to see them..

Questions and comments welcome

DCH

Attached Thumbnails
Blanket chest made from southern yellow pine.. - 3 attachments-test-030-jpg  Blanket chest made from southern yellow pine.. - 3 attachments-test-022-jpg  Blanket chest made from southern yellow pine.. - 3 attachments-test-023-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"DCH" wrote in message
8...
Greetings All...

This was commisioned by the Mrs. as a wedding present for a freind of
ours...I will be taking it to Springfeild MO to live in the next day or
so,
I was was cutting the deadline close...

It is big, but is it big enough to live in? G

Anyways, its all SYP about 20" wide 20" deep and 40" long, The lid was so
heavy I installed those spring loaded lifters to help hold it up...these
are some smaller photos so everyone should be able to see them..

It is looks good! What kind of finish are you going to put on it?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

DCH wrote in
8:

Greetings All...

This was commisioned by the Mrs. as a wedding present for a freind of
ours...I will be taking it to Springfeild MO to live in the next day
or so, I was was cutting the deadline close...

Anyways, its all SYP about 20" wide 20" deep and 40" long, The lid was
so heavy I installed those spring loaded lifters to help hold it
up...these are some smaller photos so everyone should be able to see
them..

Questions and comments welcome

DCH

Beautiful!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

DCH wrote:
Greetings All...

This was commisioned by the Mrs. as a wedding present for a freind of
ours...I will be taking it to Springfeild MO to live in the next day or so,
I was was cutting the deadline close...

Anyways, its all SYP about 20" wide 20" deep and 40" long, The lid was so
heavy I installed those spring loaded lifters to help hold it up...these
are some smaller photos so everyone should be able to see them..

Questions and comments welcome

DCH

That thing's gonna look great with some Krylon on it!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

DCH wrote:

Greetings All...

This was commisioned by the Mrs. as a wedding present for a freind of
ours...I will be taking it to Springfeild MO to live in the next day or so,
I was was cutting the deadline close...

Anyways, its all SYP about 20" wide 20" deep and 40" long, The lid was so
heavy I installed those spring loaded lifters to help hold it up...these
are some smaller photos so everyone should be able to see them..

Questions and comments welcome

DCH

Very nice looking. I bet that top is HEAVY. Do the spring-loaded
lifters work well for you?

I hope that SYP, particularly on the top, is very well seasoned--those
are pretty wide boards.

I, too, would like to hear your finish plans. I think it would look
good with milk paint or a dark shellac.

I like your treatment of the legs. By joining them in a bevel, it
gives the impression of 4x4's at the corner, shouting "I'm stout!".

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

DCH wrote:
Greetings All...

This was commisioned by the Mrs. as a wedding present for a freind of
ours...I will be taking it to Springfeild MO to live in the next day or so,
I was was cutting the deadline close...

Anyways, its all SYP about 20" wide 20" deep and 40" long, The lid was so
heavy I installed those spring loaded lifters to help hold it up...these
are some smaller photos so everyone should be able to see them..

Questions and comments welcome

DCH

The chest looks great!

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but if you haven't already,
consider putting a slight bevel on the bottom of the legs to help
prevent chip-out in the event the chest is dragged across the floor.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very nice. I too would be interested in the finish.
I make one similar. Glued a 2inch X 2inch piece on the bottom
of each leg sticking down less than half an inch with a slight bevel
on the bottom. Put self sticking plastic slides from Lowes on the
bottom of this. Sinks down in the carpet so slides are almost
invisible but can be moved by my wife very easily when she vacuums.

On Wed, 14 May 2008 14:20:16 GMT, Nova wrote:

DCH wrote:
Greetings All...

This was commisioned by the Mrs. as a wedding present for a freind of
ours...I will be taking it to Springfeild MO to live in the next day or so,
I was was cutting the deadline close...

Anyways, its all SYP about 20" wide 20" deep and 40" long, The lid was so
heavy I installed those spring loaded lifters to help hold it up...these
are some smaller photos so everyone should be able to see them..

Questions and comments welcome

DCH

The chest looks great!

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but if you haven't already,
consider putting a slight bevel on the bottom of the legs to help
prevent chip-out in the event the chest is dragged across the floor.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

alexy wrote in
:

DCH wrote:

Greetings All...

This was commisioned by the Mrs. as a wedding present for a freind of
ours...I will be taking it to Springfeild MO to live in the next day
or so, I was was cutting the deadline close...

Anyways, its all SYP about 20" wide 20" deep and 40" long, The lid was
so heavy I installed those spring loaded lifters to help hold it
up...these are some smaller photos so everyone should be able to see
them..

Questions and comments welcome

DCH

Very nice looking. I bet that top is HEAVY. Do the spring-loaded
lifters work well for you?

It is heavy, I had to put the lifters on it, it was the first time I
used them, and I was surprised at how well they work....I was
lucky...the maker of the lifter is quite specific with the measurements,
or else they won't work....

I hope that SYP, particularly on the top, is very well seasoned--those
are pretty wide boards.

They came from home depot about two years ago, I planned them down to
about 1 1/8 and let them settle for about 18 months indoors...

I, too, would like to hear your finish plans. I think it would look
good with milk paint or a dark shellac.

The end user with do the final finish....so I am not sure how it will
turn out....

I like your treatment of the legs. By joining them in a bevel, it
gives the impression of 4x4's at the corner, shouting "I'm stout!".

Weeeeeellll, they really are solid chunks...3x3's, much of this stock
was picked out and reused from Railcar dunnage.

Thanks for asking about the chest....
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Nova wrote in news:AyCWj.2076$za1.1246@trndny07:

DCH wrote:
Greetings All...

This was commisioned by the Mrs. as a wedding present for a freind of
ours...I will be taking it to Springfeild MO to live in the next day
or so, I was was cutting the deadline close...

Anyways, its all SYP about 20" wide 20" deep and 40" long, The lid
was so heavy I installed those spring loaded lifters to help hold it
up...these are some smaller photos so everyone should be able to see
them..

Questions and comments welcome

DCH

The chest looks great!

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but if you haven't already,
consider putting a slight bevel on the bottom of the legs to help
prevent chip-out in the event the chest is dragged across the floor.

its slight.....but I did bevel the legs, I learned that the hard way years
ago...

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

DCH wrote:

alexy wrote in

I hope that SYP, particularly on the top, is very well seasoned--those
are pretty wide boards.

They came from home depot about two years ago,

In that case, I'd say the most difficult part of your project was
lumber selection. Finding that much SYP that clear at HD is no mean
feat!

I planned them down to
about 1 1/8 and let them settle for about 18 months indoors...

That should do the trick as long as your shop environment is similar
to the final destination. I planed then aged the SYP for my bench a
similar time, and while I don't have as wide a board, have had zero
warpage since building it a couple of years ago.

snip

I like your treatment of the legs. By joining them in a bevel, it
gives the impression of 4x4's at the corner, shouting "I'm stout!".

Weeeeeellll, they really are solid chunks...3x3's, much of this stock
was picked out and reused from Railcar dunnage.

Interesting. I guess you found some squares with growth rings going
diagonally. Most 4x4s I have seen have flat grain on at least one
side, which is why I assumed these were two 1-bys joined at the
corner. Nicely done.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

DCH wrote:
Greetings All...

This was commisioned by the Mrs. as a wedding present for a freind of
ours...I will be taking it to Springfeild MO to live in the next day or so,
I was was cutting the deadline close...

Anyways, its all SYP about 20" wide 20" deep and 40" long, The lid was so
heavy I installed those spring loaded lifters to help hold it up...these
are some smaller photos so everyone should be able to see them..

Questions and comments welcome

DCH

I want to know about the Panels. What method did you use to make them?
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Young Carpenter wrote in

DCH wrote:
Greetings All...

This was commisioned by the Mrs. as a wedding present for a freind of
ours...I will be taking it to Springfeild MO to live in the next day
or so, I was was cutting the deadline close...

Anyways, its all SYP about 20" wide 20" deep and 40" long, The lid
was so heavy I installed those spring loaded lifters to help hold it
up...these are some smaller photos so everyone should be able to see
them..

Questions and comments welcome

DCH

I want to know about the Panels. What method did you use to make
them?

The panels are made from a bookcase I started and never finished, some of
them are solid panels and some are edge glued, but all of them are fitted
into a groove inside the frames, just basic frame and panel
construction....

Nails or screws to fasten fence of pressure treated (ACQ) southern yellow pine lumber [email protected] Home Repair 7 April 21st 06 07:47 PM
NEW ENGLAND PINE BLANKET CHEST J T Woodworking 0 December 31st 05 01:30 AM
Old Heartwood Southern Yellow Pine Barry Woodworking 7 August 22nd 05 02:48 PM
NEW ENGLAND PINE BLANKET CHEST J T Woodworking 4 January 8th 05 03:09 PM
Woodbench top - Southern yellow pine Mike LaViolette Woodworking 10 October 24th 04 12:56 AM