Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
alexy alexy is offline

Default Blanket chest made from southern yellow pine.. - 3 attachments

DCH wrote:

alexy wrote in

I hope that SYP, particularly on the top, is very well seasoned--those
are pretty wide boards.

They came from home depot about two years ago,

In that case, I'd say the most difficult part of your project was
lumber selection. Finding that much SYP that clear at HD is no mean
feat!

I planned them down to
about 1 1/8 and let them settle for about 18 months indoors...

That should do the trick as long as your shop environment is similar
to the final destination. I planed then aged the SYP for my bench a
similar time, and while I don't have as wide a board, have had zero
warpage since building it a couple of years ago.

snip

I like your treatment of the legs. By joining them in a bevel, it
gives the impression of 4x4's at the corner, shouting "I'm stout!".

Weeeeeellll, they really are solid chunks...3x3's, much of this stock
was picked out and reused from Railcar dunnage.

Interesting. I guess you found some squares with growth rings going
diagonally. Most 4x4s I have seen have flat grain on at least one
side, which is why I assumed these were two 1-bys joined at the
corner. Nicely done.