Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Casements around wide entry opening question??

Question asked in rec.woodworking? Also posted pics of Dinning room Wainscot
I just finished. I don't particularly like high wainscot but it seems its
back in style. Customer is always right, right.

see picture roundedcorner.jpg the rest are just extra's

Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Attached Thumbnails
Casements around wide entry opening question??-dining1-jpg  Casements around wide entry opening question??-dining2-jpg  Casements around wide entry opening question??-dining3-jpg  Casements around wide entry opening question??-roundedcorner-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
PHT PHT is offline

On Sun, 04 May 2008 15:21:28 +0000, evodawg wrote:

Question asked in rec.woodworking? Also posted pics of Dinning room Wainscot
I just finished. I don't particularly like high wainscot but it seems its
back in style. Customer is always right, right.

see picture roundedcorner.jpg the rest are just extra's

Rich

Looks very good. This type of wall treatment I seem to remember seeing in
some old farm houses, without the top piece. Probably not called Wainscot,
but reminds me very much of styles I have seen in very old farm house's
before.

Paul T.
--
The only dumb question, is the one not asked

http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

PHT wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2008 15:21:28 +0000, evodawg wrote:

Question asked in rec.woodworking? Also posted pics of Dinning room
Wainscot I just finished. I don't particularly like high wainscot but it
seems its back in style. Customer is always right, right.

see picture roundedcorner.jpg the rest are just extra's

Rich

Looks very good. This type of wall treatment I seem to remember seeing in
some old farm houses, without the top piece. Probably not called Wainscot,
but reminds me very much of styles I have seen in very old farm house's
before.

Paul T.

I'm not sure what they call it, but it is an old style. The top piece
(narrow shelf) is for displaying stuff. I see more and more of it going in,
seems to be a new trend.

Thanks,
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

evodawg wrote:

Question asked in rec.woodworking? Also posted pics of Dinning room
Wainscot I just finished. I don't particularly like high wainscot but it
seems its back in style. Customer is always right, right.

see picture roundedcorner.jpg the rest are just extra's

I like the way you handled the rounded corner. That style of drywalling
is very prevalent here in AZ.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

evodawg wrote:

Question asked in rec.woodworking? Also posted pics of Dinning room
Wainscot I just finished. I don't particularly like high wainscot but it
seems its back in style. Customer is always right, right.

see picture roundedcorner.jpg the rest are just extra's

I like the way you handled the rounded corner. That style of drywalling
is very prevalent here in AZ.

Thanks, but my problem is another customer wants a similar application but
they want me to come around that wall that has the curved edge treatment
and encase the door opening. I posted my problem in rec.woodworking. But
I'm having a hard time trying to explain what the customer wants or folks
aren't understanding what I'm trying ask. Think its a FAILURE TO
COMMUNICATE on my side. How do I make that curve in wood or MDF?
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

evodawg wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

evodawg wrote:

Question asked in rec.woodworking? Also posted pics of Dinning room
Wainscot I just finished. I don't particularly like high wainscot but it
seems its back in style. Customer is always right, right.

see picture roundedcorner.jpg the rest are just extra's

I like the way you handled the rounded corner. That style of
drywalling
is very prevalent here in AZ.

Thanks, but my problem is another customer wants a similar application but
they want me to come around that wall that has the curved edge treatment
and encase the door opening. I posted my problem in rec.woodworking. But
I'm having a hard time trying to explain what the customer wants or folks
aren't understanding what I'm trying ask. Think its a FAILURE TO
COMMUNICATE on my side. How do I make that curve in wood or MDF?

As I said, that style of drywall is very prevalent here in AZ. I can't
think of ever seeing that curve cased. The only things even close would be
the rounded archways with curved molding where the molding might have a
roundover. Does your customer have any style or home decor magazines that
show such an application?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

evodawg wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

evodawg wrote:

[...]

No this customer is pretty clueless. And I told her I could incase it but
with a right angle. She didn't think that's what she wanted. I told her I
would get back to her when I figured out how to do it. I might end up
having to make it. Sometimes these people have more money than BRAINS! But
its custom work so $$$$ can be charged.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

evodawg wrote:
Mark & Juanita wrote:

evodawg wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

evodawg wrote:

[...]

There are corner mouldings available at the Borgs that are made to fit
the rounded drywall corners. Predrilling before nailing is a must. My
house has the rounded corners, but the base moulding wraps around the
corner with a small pieces or the straight base set at 45 degrees, all
the cuts being 22.5 degrees. Builders apparently do the fine finishing
on the top edge with caulk...
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

If they are just after a roundover on the casing two methods come
to mind.

Use a large roundover bit on built up MDF or solid stock. These
are readily available to at least 1 1/4" radius.

Build 3/4" casement so inside corners just touch and use 3/4" 1/4
round at the joint.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"evodawg" wrote in message
Question asked in rec.woodworking? Also posted pics of Dinning
room Wainscot
I just finished. I don't particularly like high wainscot but it
seems its
back in style. Customer is always right, right.

see picture roundedcorner.jpg the rest are just extra's

Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

DanG wrote:

If they are just after a roundover on the casing two methods come
to mind.

Use a large roundover bit on built up MDF or solid stock. These
are readily available to at least 1 1/4" radius.

Build 3/4" casement so inside corners just touch and use 3/4" 1/4
round at the joint.

yeah that was my thinking to. I figured I'd have to make them. Its a painted
application so should not be to big a deal. But then someone said they sell
some kind of moldings at the borg. I have never seen this but I never
really looked for it either. If I don't need it I don't window shop. I'll
have to check out HD or Lowes. Make a trip to the my supplier and see what
they got. This is the first time I've been asked to build this and it was a
bit of a brain teaser.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:

evodawg wrote:
Mark & Juanita wrote:

evodawg wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

evodawg wrote:

[...]

Yeah I have done the base moldings that way in the past. I'm just trying to
figure how to do the encasements and rounding the corners. Guess I'll have
to route them or take a trip to HD like you said and see what they have.I
doubt they have what I'm looking for though.

Thanks.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

While I claim no rights to being in your level of capability my gut reaction
would be 3/4 round molding between the baseboard and your top rail, with
workmanship I see in these pictures I assume you could make the top rail fit
around the curved corner.

Sorry probably not much help.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"evodawg" wrote in message
Question asked in rec.woodworking? Also posted pics of Dinning room
Wainscot
I just finished. I don't particularly like high wainscot but it seems its
back in style. Customer is always right, right.

see picture roundedcorner.jpg the rest are just extra's

Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

asmurff wrote:

While I claim no rights to being in your level of capability my gut
reaction would be 3/4 round molding between the baseboard and your top
rail, with workmanship I see in these pictures I assume you could make the
top rail fit around the curved corner.

Sorry probably not much help.

Yeah the top rail should not be a problem. I'm just worried about the curved
part of the wall. It's a real brain teaser for me. I'm just thinking about
butt jointing to pieces and using a large round over bit.
btw it was not that big a deal building that room. When you have been doing
this kind of work for awhile you pick up ideas that make things easier and
faster.

You might want to have a look at my website for other stuff I've done.

http://rentmyhusband.co.nr/

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Okay maybe I'm being obtuse, but couldn't you bring the beadboard or what
ever material you used for wainscot as close to the edge as possible then
add 3/4 round molding, the gap top and bottom should be hidden if the wall
side of the 3/4 isn't available for bullnose corners by the top rail and the
baseboard.

You may not think it's a big deal building that room, but even if I'm a
novice at this stuff I can still spot workmanship. Without sounding corny
that type of workmanship like my grandfathers, yours, others in the group,
Norm etc have been what always made me want to learn woodworking, I just
never had the time until I was forced into retirement by health issues.

--
"evodawg" wrote in message
asmurff wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 2008-05-04 20:39:12 -0700, evodawg said:

asmurff wrote:

Okay maybe I'm being obtuse, but couldn't you bring the beadboard or what
ever material you used for wainscot as close to the edge as possible then
add 3/4 round molding, the gap top and bottom should be hidden if the wall
side of the 3/4 isn't available for bullnose corners by the top rail and
the baseboard.

Yes that is an option. But this is a different job I'm talking about. Their
wanting a frame and panel or raised panel casement on a wall/door opening
similar to the one I showed in the picture.

You may not think it's a big deal building that room, but even if I'm a
novice at this stuff I can still spot workmanship. Without sounding corny
that type of workmanship like my grandfathers, yours, others in the group,
Norm etc have been what always made me want to learn woodworking, I just
never had the time until I was forced into retirement by health issues.

Thanks, to be put into the same sentence as Norm is an honor. Ive never been
good at taking a compliment. Watching shows like New Yankee Workshop has
done wonders for my skills. Well, now that your forced into retirement Get
To It! I'm retired to and when I had my regular business I never had the
time to dwell into this even though I always wanted to. I wish I had
started as a kid. But it's never to late.

Thanks again,
Rich

It might be a little fer from ya but you might try here.
http://www.whitebrothersmill.com/
They've been around for over 100 years.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Vidkid26 wrote:

It might be a little fer from ya but you might try here.
http://www.whitebrothersmill.com/
They've been around for over 100 years.

Good resource. I have something similar here in Southern Cal called
Cherokee Lumber. It's where I get all my moldings and furniture lumber.
Thanks
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"