Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Fancy noise making barrel

I don't see too many photos of home-made musical instruments posted here
so I feel kinda out of place with this post, but there was a fair amount
of "wood dorking" involved in this little project so perhaps you guys
will find it more than mildly interesting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7604599305593/

In case you were wondering what size lathe was required to make such an
animal, the answer is: None. I don't own one... :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
. ..
I don't see too many photos of home-made musical instruments posted here so
I feel kinda out of place with this post, but there was a fair amount of
"wood dorking" involved in this little project so perhaps you guys will
find it more than mildly interesting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7604599305593/

In case you were wondering what size lathe was required to make such an
animal, the answer is: None. I don't own one... :-)

Talk about just squeaking by with barely enough wood!

It is lovely to look at as well.

Being a non musician, I need to ask. Do musicians appreciate nice wood on
musical instruments? Or is it just a sound thing for them?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
. ..
I don't see too many photos of home-made musical instruments posted here so
I feel kinda out of place with this post, but there was a fair amount of
"wood dorking" involved in this little project so perhaps you guys will
find it more than mildly interesting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7604599305593/

In case you were wondering what size lathe was required to make such an
animal, the answer is: None. I don't own one... :-)

Talk about just squeaking by with barely enough wood!

It is lovely to look at as well.

Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised at the results as well.

Being a non musician, I need to ask. Do musicians appreciate nice wood on
musical instruments? Or is it just a sound thing for them?

I see a lot of appreciation for fine woodworking craftsmanship in the
musicians that I've met. It seems to make them more proud of their
instruments, and perhaps that pride helps them to think the instrument
sounds better even if there is no real proof that it does. Wood has
that magical effect on a lot of people! :-)

And most drummers I know want at least one snare drum made from each
type of exotic wood known to man. :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

As a dulcimer builder, both looks and sound are important. The
satisfaction comes when a beautiful wood also gives beautiful sound.

Here are four of the 45 I have made.

Walter.

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
. ..
I don't see too many photos of home-made musical instruments posted here so
I feel kinda out of place with this post, but there was a fair amount of
"wood dorking" involved in this little project so perhaps you guys will
find it more than mildly interesting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7604599305593/

In case you were wondering what size lathe was required to make such an
animal, the answer is: None. I don't own one... :-)

Talk about just squeaking by with barely enough wood!

It is lovely to look at as well.

Being a non musician, I need to ask. Do musicians appreciate nice wood on
musical instruments? Or is it just a sound thing for them?

Attached Thumbnails
Fancy noise making barrel-aug18%5E16-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote

Being a non musician, I need to ask. Do musicians appreciate nice wood on
musical instruments? Or is it just a sound thing for them?

Except for maybe the headbanging crop, you will often hear musicians refer
to a certain "woody tone" that is prized in many different types of
instruments, even those relying upon amplification to be heard.

Although looks are important, on a dark stage sound is the main thing.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Walter Johnson" wrote in message
As a dulcimer builder, both looks and sound are important. The
satisfaction comes when a beautiful wood also gives beautiful sound.

Here are four of the 45 I have made.

Very nice. You have lots of options in terms of different species of wood,
combining them, etc.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

I don't see too many photos of home-made musical instruments posted here
so I feel kinda out of place with this post, but there was a fair amount
of "wood dorking" involved in this little project so perhaps you guys
will find it more than mildly interesting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7604599305593/

In case you were wondering what size lathe was required to make such an
animal, the answer is: None. I don't own one... :-)

You don't see a lot of home-made musical instruments posted here because
it is a somewhat less pursued hobby. My understanding is that it requires
much higher levels of precision and craftsmanship. Your project certainly
demonstrates a high degree of both. Very nice looking and great recovery
in getting it to work with the limitations on the amount of wood you had.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in
:

"Lee Michaels" wrote

Being a non musician, I need to ask. Do musicians appreciate nice
wood on musical instruments? Or is it just a sound thing for them?

Except for maybe the headbanging crop, you will often hear musicians
refer to a certain "woody tone" that is prized in many different types
of instruments, even those relying upon amplification to be heard.

Although looks are important, on a dark stage sound is the main thing.

Greetings...as a younger man I was ( I guess you always are ) in a
band....and I think the acoustic types love nice wood.....I was of the
headbanging crop, and had a paul reed smith with a beautiful quilted maple
top, and more than once I heard, Dude....that top is sick....so maybe a few
of us liked the nice wood as well....

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:

I don't see too many photos of home-made musical instruments posted here
so I feel kinda out of place with this post, but there was a fair amount
of "wood dorking" involved in this little project so perhaps you guys
will find it more than mildly interesting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7604599305593/

In case you were wondering what size lathe was required to make such an
animal, the answer is: None. I don't own one... :-)

You don't see a lot of home-made musical instruments posted here because
it is a somewhat less pursued hobby. My understanding is that it requires
much higher levels of precision and craftsmanship. Your project certainly
demonstrates a high degree of both. Very nice looking and great recovery
in getting it to work with the limitations on the amount of wood you had.

Thanks! One of the trickiest parts is getting the angle on the mating
surface of each stave *exactly* correct. The setting of the tablesaw
blade is critical, and you can bet that any margin of error multiplied
by twenty is going to show up BIG TIME when you try to pull those babies
together into a cylinder!

I've always had a hankerin' to push my limits and to try new things; I'm
thinking of trying an acoustic bass guitar sometime in the near future
(I've got all the plans and books, and the advice of a few friends
who've done it before), but the only thing is: I don't play guitar! I
guess I won't have any excuse not to learn once it's done... :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
I don't see too many photos of home-made musical instruments posted here
so I feel kinda out of place with this post, but there was a fair amount
of "wood dorking" involved in this little project so perhaps you guys
will find it more than mildly interesting:

Steve, as an old time drummer from the 60's, I can tell you your work
gave me chills. Even with the lights out, I would have killed to be on
stage with something that nice. I often thought of making a set of
drums, but it sure was great getting to look at your work. Great job.

Next time, take some pictures along the way, and post them here.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
I don't see too many photos of home-made musical instruments posted
here so I feel kinda out of place with this post, but there was a fair
amount of "wood dorking" involved in this little project so perhaps
you guys will find it more than mildly interesting:

Steve, as an old time drummer from the 60's, I can tell you your work
gave me chills. Even with the lights out, I would have killed to be on
stage with something that nice. I often thought of making a set of
drums, but it sure was great getting to look at your work. Great job.

Next time, take some pictures along the way, and post them here.

Thanks Jack! That means a lot to me. I'm hoping at some point to build
a full set, if I can just decide what kind of wood to make it from (and
if I can get some of these honey-do's off my list!). I think I have
some more pictures that I took during the construction process; I'll try
to scare them up and post them.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"DCH" wrote
"Swingman" wrote in

"Lee Michaels" wrote

Being a non musician, I need to ask. Do musicians appreciate nice
wood on musical instruments? Or is it just a sound thing for them?

Except for maybe the headbanging crop, you will often hear musicians
refer to a certain "woody tone" that is prized in many different types
of instruments, even those relying upon amplification to be heard.

Although looks are important, on a dark stage sound is the main thing.

Greetings...as a younger man I was ( I guess you always are ) in a
band....and I think the acoustic types love nice wood.....I was of the
headbanging crop, and had a paul reed smith with a beautiful quilted maple
top, and more than once I heard, Dude....that top is sick....so maybe a

few
of us liked the nice wood as well....

LOL! ... but, but PRS instruments are sorta famous among musicians for their
"woody tone" ... not that many headbangers would still have the hearing to
notice. g

... good wood, usually also nice to look at, imparts a tone to just about
any instrument, even "those relying upon amplification to be heard".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks Kate!

Yes, those metal parts are called "lugs", and they each accept a
"tension rod" that passes through a hole in the rim. Tightening the
tension rods draws the rim down against the metal collar on the drum
head, thus tightening the head and changing its pitch. Many drummers
put *significant* tension on their drum heads; the shell has to be able
to withstand that force and that's one reason I added the laminated
maple reinforcing rings. Not all drums have those.

I have a fair amount of spalted Texas Pecan leftover from one of my
rocking chair projects (which can be seen elsewhere on my page) that I'm
starting to section up into staves for another snare drum of a similar
design. If I can sneak it past my honey-do radar any time soon I hope
to build a snare drum from that wood as well. I'll try to take better
pictures of the process this time around.

Kate wrote:
Steve, that is amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Are the metal parts on the outside for tuning?

Kate

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
. ..
I don't see too many photos of home-made musical instruments posted here
so I feel kinda out of place with this post, but there was a fair amount
of "wood dorking" involved in this little project so perhaps you guys
will find it more than mildly interesting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7604599305593/

In case you were wondering what size lathe was required to make such an
animal, the answer is: None. I don't own one... :-)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

I have a fair amount of spalted Texas Pecan leftover from one of my
rocking chair projects (which can be seen elsewhere on my page) that I'm
starting to section up into staves for another snare drum of a similar
design.

Wow! I hadn't noticed the other projects on flickr when I was last
there. You are an awesome woodworker and that Rocking chair is super.
If you play the drums as well as you work wood, and I'm betting you do,
your are awesome for sure. Your pictures are great as well... Thanks
for sharing. You should take some pictures of your shop and post them
here. Everyone loves looking at wood shops.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Of the 45 I have made, no two sound alike because of several factors,
type of wood, quality of wood, length of strings (VSL), shape (teardrop
or hourglass) , internal volume defined as width, thickness, length of
sound chamber, and many other factors. As a rule, they sound better the
longer they are played for the first 100 years. To hear them, go to:
http://www.dulcitunes.com/tunes1.php

Walter.

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
. ..
I don't see too many photos of home-made musical instruments posted here
so
I feel kinda out of place with this post, but there was a fair amount of
"wood dorking" involved in this little project so perhaps you guys will
find it more than mildly interesting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7604599305593/

In case you were wondering what size lathe was required to make such an
animal, the answer is: None. I don't own one... :-)

Talk about just squeaking by with barely enough wood!

It is lovely to look at as well.

Being a non musician, I need to ask. Do musicians appreciate nice wood on
musical instruments? Or is it just a sound thing for them?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks for the link, and the music Walter.
I enjoyed it

I guess I have heard one, just never realized it. I'm not really a Bluegrass
fan, that might explain it.
The high pitched tones of Bluegrass hurt my ears, literally... go figure.

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
. ..
I don't see too many photos of home-made musical instruments posted here
so
I feel kinda out of place with this post, but there was a fair amount of
"wood dorking" involved in this little project so perhaps you guys will
find it more than mildly interesting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7604599305593/

In case you were wondering what size lathe was required to make such an
animal, the answer is: None. I don't own one... :-)

Talk about just squeaking by with barely enough wood!

It is lovely to look at as well.

Being a non musician, I need to ask. Do musicians appreciate nice wood
on
musical instruments? Or is it just a sound thing for them?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kate" wrote

I guess I have heard one, just never realized it. I'm not really a

Bluegrass
fan, that might explain it.
The high pitched tones of Bluegrass hurt my ears, literally... go figure.

Don't look now, Kate, but, as the BG Nazi's are wont to say, with a frown,
in this age of pedantic attitudes, "that ain't "Bluegrass""!

.... you normally wouldn't find a dulcimer ("Appalachian/Mountain, or
hammered) in a Bluegrass band. Not to say that it's not ever done, but they
are usually in an "Old Time" or "Mountain Music" ensemble, or, in the case
of a hammered dulcimer, "Celtic" music.

Bill Monroe, the acknowledged "Father of Bluegrass" had a lineup of himself
on mandolin, Earl Scruggs on 5 string banjo, Lester Flatt on acoustic
flattop guitar, Chubby Wise on fiddle, and Howard Watts on dog house bass.

To this day mandolin, banjo, bass, guitar, and fiddle is the _traditional_
"Bluegrass" band lineup of instruments, with a dobro often thrown in to
boot. (Check out the likes of Alison Krause and Union Station for a more
modern example)

Any departure from the above gasp is frowned upon by the Bluegrass Nazi's
who frequent most BG festivals in this day and age. As one who played both
banjo and bass in a working/traveling BG band in his youth, DAMHIKT!

... particularly when I first played an ***electric bass *** heaven
forbid! at the GlenRose Bluegrass festival in North Texas many, many years
ago as a member of one of the headline acts, and almost didn't live to tell
about it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman,

In keeping with the subject matter (vaguely) on this discussion group
you hit the nail right on the head in Dulcimers not relating to
Bluegrass. Thanks for your comments.

Walter.

Swingman wrote:
"Kate" wrote

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote
.... you normally wouldn't find a dulcimer ("Appalachian/Mountain, or
hammered) in a Bluegrass band.

---
*snip*
---
Geeze....
That shows you how little I know!
I looked at the site, chose a couple of non-gosple type songs and it struk
me much the same as bluegrass.
I primarily listen to country, but all of it modern, since about the 80's.

Got my music lesson for the day, no I'm going back under my rock.

K.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Walter Johnson" wrote in message
Swingman,

In keeping with the subject matter (vaguely) on this discussion group
you hit the nail right on the head in Dulcimers not relating to
Bluegrass. Thanks for your comments.

Probably still hurts Kate's ears, either way.

Noticed you're a mountain dulcimer builder. I was privileged to have
recorded a number of "old time" music albums down through the years. One of
those groups that will always stand out in my mind is "The Wright Family",
with whom you may be familiar. Lloyd Wright, one of the sons of Margaret and
Jerry, won Winfield, IIRC, in 2000 in the mountain dulcimer competition ...
that's equivalent to "World Champion" mountain dulcimer player. I also
recorded/engineered Lloyd's solo album "Northfield" which has some hot
playing on it.

http://www.geocities.com/lloydfrank/index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/pickinwright/products.htm

A few years back I had a hoot recording a dulcimer "orchestra", with ten
plus mountain dulcimer, and three hammered dulcimers, going at once. (that
would have hurt Kate's ears, for sure!)

I think it is still going strong he

http://www.houstondulcimer.com/CD.htm

Have also recorded many Celtic/Irish groups with hammered dulcimers, and was
privileged to have worked with some of the best.
The dulcimer is a real "peoples" instrument. Margaret Wright used to bring
inner city kids into the studio that she had taught to play. Make the hair
on the back of your neck stand up and bring tears to your eyes to see such
joy and 'passion of music' in the eyes of these underprivileged children.

Peace to you, Bro ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman,

Yes, I know the Wrights, they have visited our club in Pittsburg, TX.
We use Margaret's 12 tune books a lot.
If you think a 12 dulcimer orchestra is loud, you should hear our club
playing with 40+ dulcimers. We are getting some younger ones now, 9-12
year olds and they are coming along really well. Thrilling to know that
the lowly dulcimer is becoming popular again and will likely continue
many years.

Sorry to hurt your ears, Kate.

w.

Swingman wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Walter Johnson" wrote

Yes, I know the Wrights, they have visited our club in Pittsburg, TX.
We use Margaret's 12 tune books a lot.

You're blessed ... I'm a big fan for a number of reasons.

Margaret, in particular, is responsible for injecting a good deal of joy
into other folk's lives, both through her music, and in her zeal as an
educator in helping countless other's learn to enjoy and participate in
'making music'.

Teachers of Margaret's ilk are National treasures ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:

I have a fair amount of spalted Texas Pecan leftover from one of my
rocking chair projects (which can be seen elsewhere on my page) that
I'm starting to section up into staves for another snare drum of a
similar design.

Wow! I hadn't noticed the other projects on flickr when I was last
there. You are an awesome woodworker and that Rocking chair is super.
If you play the drums as well as you work wood, and I'm betting you do,
your are awesome for sure. Your pictures are great as well... Thanks
for sharing. You should take some pictures of your shop and post them
here. Everyone loves looking at wood shops.

Aw shucks Jack, thanks for the kind words. :-) I've been playing drums
since I was 9 or 10 (which would be about 36 years now...), and I guess
I get along pretty good but I wouldn't claim to be any great talent. I
still play gigs with some pals of mine, but only often enough to where I
can still call it "fun" instead of "work"! Huffing a drum set all
around the countryside gets pretty OLD after a while. :-)

(You know, that's something I haven't see at any woodworking show or
event I've ever attended; woodworkers/musicians offering sideline
entertainment playing their own hand-made instruments... Hmm. :-) )

I don't think my wood shop is all that special really; I'm just a
regular guy stuck in suburbia making do with a three car garage, longing
for the day when I can talk the wife into getting out onto some acreage
where I can set up a REAL woodshop! I've got some pretty nice tools
though (mostly Delta), so I can't complain: a Unisaw, planer, jointer,
16" Minimax bandsaw, home-made router table with all the bells and
whistles, nice workbench with a front vise and a tail vise, etc. Oh
yeah, lots of yummy hand planes and spokeshaves too! :-) I love hand
tools, and I use them a lot on the rocking chairs.

I could prolly post some pictures, but I tend to be pretty lazy about
that kinda thing...

To reply, eat the taco.

AC Vent making noise Mike Home Repair 4 August 9th 07 02:12 PM
Cooperage - The Making Of A Wine Barrel J T Woodworking 0 July 3rd 07 06:53 PM
Fridge making noise. ghostwriter Home Repair 11 July 17th 06 06:26 AM
attic fan making noise John H. Home Repair 3 July 14th 05 04:59 AM
RCA TV making weird noise [email protected] Electronics Repair 10 May 25th 05 01:23 PM