Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kate[_3_] Kate[_3_] is offline

Default Fancy noise making barrel

I'm looking forward to seeing them, and thanks for the "drum lesson" :-D

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
t...
Thanks Kate!

Yes, those metal parts are called "lugs", and they each accept a
"tension rod" that passes through a hole in the rim. Tightening the
tension rods draws the rim down against the metal collar on the drum
head, thus tightening the head and changing its pitch. Many drummers
put *significant* tension on their drum heads; the shell has to be able
to withstand that force and that's one reason I added the laminated
maple reinforcing rings. Not all drums have those.

I have a fair amount of spalted Texas Pecan leftover from one of my
rocking chair projects (which can be seen elsewhere on my page) that I'm
starting to section up into staves for another snare drum of a similar
design. If I can sneak it past my honey-do radar any time soon I hope
to build a snare drum from that wood as well. I'll try to take better
pictures of the process this time around.

Kate wrote:
Steve, that is amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Are the metal parts on the outside for tuning?

Kate

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
. ..
I don't see too many photos of home-made musical instruments posted here
so I feel kinda out of place with this post, but there was a fair amount
of "wood dorking" involved in this little project so perhaps you guys
will find it more than mildly interesting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7604599305593/

In case you were wondering what size lathe was required to make such an
animal, the answer is: None. I don't own one... :-)