Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default Fancy noise making barrel

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
. ..
I don't see too many photos of home-made musical instruments posted here so
I feel kinda out of place with this post, but there was a fair amount of
"wood dorking" involved in this little project so perhaps you guys will
find it more than mildly interesting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7604599305593/

In case you were wondering what size lathe was required to make such an
animal, the answer is: None. I don't own one... :-)

Talk about just squeaking by with barely enough wood!

It is lovely to look at as well.

Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised at the results as well.

Being a non musician, I need to ask. Do musicians appreciate nice wood on
musical instruments? Or is it just a sound thing for them?

I see a lot of appreciation for fine woodworking craftsmanship in the
musicians that I've met. It seems to make them more proud of their
instruments, and perhaps that pride helps them to think the instrument
sounds better even if there is no real proof that it does. Wood has
that magical effect on a lot of people! :-)

And most drummers I know want at least one snare drum made from each
type of exotic wood known to man. :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.