Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default built-ins

A few times a year I do some commission work on nights and weekends - this
time around it was another set of built-in bookcases (seems like everyone
wants built-ins these days). These were my largest to date - 10' wide and a
little over 10' tall.

These are made of birch ply, poplar, and MDF. Primed with white
shellac-based primer and sprayed with a water based lacquer topcoat.

The center unit is large to accomodate a big flatscreen TV.

In the photos there are some unusual reflections from the flash - next time
the flash will be turned off!

Thanks for looking.

Eric

Attached Thumbnails
built-ins-dsc01799_small-jpg  built-ins-dsc01796_small-jpg  built-ins-dsc01797_small-jpg  built-ins-dsc01798_small-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:26:47 -0500, "Eric Yancey"
wrote:

A few times a year I do some commission work on nights and weekends - this
time around it was another set of built-in bookcases (seems like everyone
wants built-ins these days). These were my largest to date - 10' wide and a
little over 10' tall.

These are made of birch ply, poplar, and MDF. Primed with white
shellac-based primer and sprayed with a water based lacquer topcoat.

The center unit is large to accomodate a big flatscreen TV.

In the photos there are some unusual reflections from the flash - next time
the flash will be turned off!

Thanks for looking.

Eric

Nice detail work, Eric...
The overall job is fantastic, but the details in the trim and such just ties
everything in... bravo!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very Colonial..(is that a style)
Lots of tedious work and with attention to crown mold and all.
I agree with the others.
Very well done.
jloomis
"Eric Yancey" wrote in message
A few times a year I do some commission work on nights and weekends - this
time around it was another set of built-in bookcases (seems like everyone
wants built-ins these days). These were my largest to date - 10' wide and
a little over 10' tall.

These are made of birch ply, poplar, and MDF. Primed with white
shellac-based primer and sprayed with a water based lacquer topcoat.

The center unit is large to accomodate a big flatscreen TV.

In the photos there are some unusual reflections from the flash - next
time the flash will be turned off!

Thanks for looking.

Eric

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks mac! The design with the trim details took quite awhile - Google
sketchup really helped.

One day maybe I'll get away from these big units and try my hand at some
turning, although I don't know if I have the patience to do the kind of
beautiful work you do!

Eric

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Garage_Woodworks" .@. wrote in message

"Eric Yancey" wrote in message
A few times a year I do some commission work on nights and weekends - this
time around it was another set of built-in bookcases (seems like everyone
wants built-ins these days). These were my largest to date - 10' wide and
a little over 10' tall.

These are made of birch ply, poplar, and MDF. Primed with white
shellac-based primer and sprayed with a water based lacquer topcoat.

The center unit is large to accomodate a big flatscreen TV.

In the photos there are some unusual reflections from the flash - next
time the flash will be turned off!

Thanks for looking.

Eric

Nice! Very impressive. Not sure I'm ready to tackle a project like that
yet.

--
www.garagewoodworks.com

Thanks! From the looks of your site, you could definitely build these
built-ins. The worst part is the space requirements in the shop for
applying the finish and assembling. My shop has 10' + ceilings so that
really helps. The moldings were definitely the worst part as I'm not that
good at trim carpentry. I usually glue-up as much crown as I can in the
shop and then put it all together onsite. This time though I had to do just
about all of it onsite which was a real bear because of uneven ceilings,
etc. Not to mention lugging around all the tools required.

Thanks again!

Eric

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you. It really helps to have a good trim carpentry book that goes
over the details of greek architecture. That's where I got the idea for the
little astragal wraps just below the arches. A little detail like that goes
a long ways towards improving the overall appearance.

I tried to match the existing trim in the 100 yr old house so it would tie
in well. The panels and edge detail around the panels match existing panels
in the foyer of the house almost exactly - most wouldn't notice it really
helps the unit blend in with its surroundings.

Eric

"jloomis" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:07:04 -0500, "Eric Yancey"
wrote:

Nice detail work, Eric...
The overall job is fantastic, but the details in the trim and such just
ties
everything in... bravo!

mac

Thanks mac! The design with the trim details took quite awhile - Google
sketchup really helped.

One day maybe I'll get away from these big units and try my hand at some
turning, although I don't know if I have the patience to do the kind of
beautiful work you do!

Eric

Thanks, Eric... but you've obviously got a lot more patience than I do..
I gave up flat work cuz I hate things that are supposed to be square and
aren't..
When ya turn, it HAS to get round..lol