Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Built-ins help

I am trying to make builtins for my family room.

My dear wife requested those

http://picasaweb.google.com/shifrbv/...ey=nK_MAsbhHbM

I am in great need of some expert help to figure out how
those where maid.

Picture 2.
What was used as a baseboard moulding? Standard moulding, multi?

How exactly those columns where maid? Are those raised panels?
How thick in you opinion are they?

Shelf-edge?

Picture 1.

What are those columns?

How to make top crowns?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Check the New Yankee Workshop archives.

http://www.newyankee.com/index.shtml

Norm build a similar wall unit. His video tapes are
available for a reasonable and nominal charge.

John Flatley
Jacksonville, Florida
--

wrote in message
oups.com...
| I am trying to make builtins for my family room.
|
| My dear wife requested those

http://picasaweb.google.com/shifrbv/...ey=nK_MAsbhHbM

| I am in great need of some expert help to figure out
how
| those where maid.
|
| Picture 2.
| What was used as a baseboard moulding? Standard
moulding, multi?

| How exactly those columns where maid? Are those
raised panels?
| How thick in you opinion are they?
|
| Shelf-edge?
|

| Picture 1.
|
| What are those columns?
|
| How to make top crowns?
|
| Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.newyankee.com/index.shtml

Nothing there of any use... Basic bookcases with styles/rails,

nothing I could find had details, like I am looking for...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 16, 4:05 pm, wrote:
http://www.newyankee.com/index.shtml

Nothing there of any use... Basic bookcases with styles/rails,

nothing I could find had details, like I am looking for...

You might try to research who built the cabinets in the photos and ask
them how they were made. There are hundreds of moulding profiles
available and thus probably thousands of possible combinations of
profiles. If it's not possible to contact the builder of the
bookshelves in the photos then go to a moulding supplier and get a
catalog or look at what they have in stock. Some of the profiles made
be custom made as well. Router bit manufacturers or shaper knife
manufacturers usually have photos that show the profiles that their
bits will cut. Try doing some mock ups with short lengths to try to
match the photos. I don't know your skill level but built-ins like
those in the pictures require advanced skills.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 Apr 2007 04:57:24 -0700, wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/shifrbv/...ey=nK_MAsbhHbM

Picture 2.
What was used as a baseboard moulding? Standard moulding, multi?

Looks like a standard baseboard molding we see around here. Should be
available in paint grade poplar or MDF.

How exactly those columns where maid?

Hard to tell.. My guess is plywood (or mdf) box with rail and stiles
added to the front perhaps routed or molded inside. It's possible
that the lower units are actually a few inches apart as the columns
on the lowers look to be added or applied to the face of the cabinets.

Are those raised panels?

No.

How thick in you opinion are they?

Again, hard to tell but you need enough width to get the rails and
stiles for the panels. I'd say 6-8"

Shelf-edge?

Some kind of rounded edge that we would probably make with a router or
shaper.

Picture 1.

What are those columns?

If you notice the upper cabinet on the left, the shelves do no go very
far behind the column. My guess is that the boxes (bookcases) are
built and the column face is added to separate the bookcase units.

How to make top crowns?

It seems to me as though the top of the columns are wrapped with what
looks to be a chair rail molding or similar. The ceiling crown may be
more than one piece but..... did I mention it's a little hard to
tell.;-) You should be able to buy the crown and or pieces to get
the look.

One thing to remember when trying to build something from a
picture....you don't have to construct it exactly as the one you see.
Your goal is to make it look like the picture. Use the materials and
the skills you have to reproduce the look.
I've had a lot of customers hand me a picture of a fireplace surround
or an entertainment center they want me to duplicate. I don't care
how it's constructed......chances are I won't build it the same way
that guy did anyway. When it's finished, it will look like the
picture...then I can go out back and make a little bon fire out of
their pictures.;-)

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Try taking a look at several of the books that detail the making of
fireplace mantels. Or google "making fireplace mantels". Those columns look
very similar to some of the design components that go into fireplsace
mantels.
wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to make builtins for my family room.

My dear wife requested those

http://picasaweb.google.com/shifrbv/...ey=nK_MAsbhHbM

I am in great need of some expert help to figure out how
those where maid.

Picture 2.
What was used as a baseboard moulding? Standard moulding, multi?

How exactly those columns where maid? Are those raised panels?
How thick in you opinion are they?

Shelf-edge?

Picture 1.

What are those columns?

How to make top crowns?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

My guess is the at the "columns" are faux columns put on afterwards. The
basic recipe is easy, and if I had photos, I'd point to the similar one I
made for the livingroom. It consists of two boxes, with two more sitting on
top. The bottom ones are cabinets with inset panel doors. The are fastened
together, and fastened to the wall. The shelves above were built as two
complete units, then slid into place between the ceiling and the tops of the
lower cabinets. All the finish trim was applied afterwards.

Bob

"John Flatley" wrote in message
news
Check the New Yankee Workshop archives.

http://www.newyankee.com/index.shtml

Norm build a similar wall unit. His video tapes are
available for a reasonable and nominal charge.

John Flatley
Jacksonville, Florida
--

wrote in message
oups.com...
| I am trying to make builtins for my family room.
|
| My dear wife requested those

http://picasaweb.google.com/shifrbv/...ey=nK_MAsbhHbM

| I am in great need of some expert help to figure out
how
| those where maid.
|
| Picture 2.
| What was used as a baseboard moulding? Standard
moulding, multi?

| How exactly those columns where maid? Are those
raised panels?
| How thick in you opinion are they?
|
| Shelf-edge?
|

| Picture 1.
|
| What are those columns?
|
| How to make top crowns?
|
| Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
DLB DLB is offline

On Apr 16, 7:57 am, wrote:
I am trying to make builtins for my family room.

My dear wife requested those

http://picasaweb.google.com/shifrbv/...ey=nK_MAsbhHbM

I am in great need of some expert help to figure out how
those where maid.

Picture 2.
What was used as a baseboard moulding? Standard moulding, multi?

How exactly those columns where maid? Are those raised panels?
How thick in you opinion are they?

Shelf-edge?

Picture 1.

What are those columns?

How to make top crowns?

Thanks

Check out Tom Plamann's project, it may help you:

http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/bedr...view_all.nhtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

Try looking at the library. They usually have some pretty good books. Some
of the Older ones have more projects with elaborate detail than newer books.
Also check them out for "Fine Woodworking" or "Fine Homebuilding" magazines.
Some great info in those two books and usually pretty highbrow styles.

GL,

Byrd

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.newyankee.com/index.shtml

Nothing there of any use... Basic bookcases with styles/rails,

nothing I could find had details, like I am looking for...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Built-ins help - Tom Plamann's Step By Step ******

Tom Plamann has a great step by step

http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/bedroomwallunit/