Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Christmas present - painting frame

Happy new year all.

My sister called the week before Christmas to ask me to make a frame for a
watercolor painting that she wanted to give our grandmother. When she gave
me the dimensions, I found an off-cut of curly cherry that was the perfect
size - literally no waste aside from the planer shavings and mitered
corners.

She wanted something simple, so the frame is just a 10 deg bevel with a 1/4"
cove on the inside edge. Resawn from a width of 8/4 curly cherry (book
matched of course), 1 1/4" wide, finished with General Finishes Arm R Seal.
The first coat had a few drops of Trans Tint red mahogany and dark mission
brown to help pop the grain, subsequent coats were clear.

-MJ
www.mjhkstudios.com/woodwork
(new website in progress...)

Attached Thumbnails
Christmas present - painting frame-paintingframe01-jpg  Christmas present - painting frame-paintingframe03-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PaintingFrame02.jpg (36.4 KB, 35 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mark Johnson" wrote in message
. ..
Happy new year all.

My sister called the week before Christmas to ask me to make a frame for a
watercolor painting that she wanted to give our grandmother. When she
gave me the dimensions, I found an off-cut of curly cherry that was the
perfect size - literally no waste aside from the planer shavings and
mitered corners.

She wanted something simple, so the frame is just a 10 deg bevel with a
1/4" cove on the inside edge. Resawn from a width of 8/4 curly cherry
(book matched of course), 1 1/4" wide, finished with General Finishes Arm
R Seal. The first coat had a few drops of Trans Tint red mahogany and dark
mission brown to help pop the grain, subsequent coats were clear.

-MJ
www.mjhkstudios.com/woodwork
(new website in progress...)

Very nice frame Mark! Out of curiousity, is that painting a picture of your
grandmother in her heyday?? 23 Skiddoo! Oh, you kid! and all sorta stuff?
*G*

Leif

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mark Johnson" wrote in
:

Very nice.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

Very nice frame Mark! Out of curiousity, is that painting a picture of
your grandmother in her heyday?? 23 Skiddoo! Oh, you kid! and all sorta
stuff? *G*

Leif

That would have been nice, but she didn't have any real reference available
so it was just based on memory of some old pictures from the farmhouse.
Maybe next year?

-MJ

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"wonkat" wrote in message