Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Mahogany side table

My wife said the TV table next to the couch where I sit had to go so I
built this.
It’s mahogany with a tiger maple drawer font. The secondary wood is
poplar and I made support rails out of maple.
The finish is spar varnish (you can take the boy out of the boat shop
but you can’t take the bat shop out of the boy).
Two spit coats, 50-50 varnish and thinner, then two full strength coats
with sanding in between.
No pore filler or shellac first just the spar varnish. For the draw
front I added a little stain to make it pop a little more.

I get a bunch of my tiger maple from my local Home Depot. Every time I
pick through their maple selection I find 1 or 2 pieces of nice tiger.
That’s where the drawer front came from.

Attached Thumbnails
Mahogany side table-before-jpg  Mahogany side table-parts-jpg  Mahogany side table-dryfit-jpg  Mahogany side table-drawer-jpg  Mahogany side table-drawerin1-jpg

Mahogany side table-inplace-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Mahogany side table...more

A couple more.

Attached Thumbnails
Mahogany side table-finishedonbench-jpg  Mahogany side table-draweropen-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Mahogany side table...a couple more

Attached Thumbnails
Mahogany side table-finishedonbench-jpg  Mahogany side table-draweropen-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I really like it with the exception of the brass pull. Love the tapered
legs and the contrast of the drawer front.

Your home depot sells maple? Lucky! All mine sells is poplar, pine and red
oak.

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:
I really like it with the exception of the brass pull. Love the tapered
legs and the contrast of the drawer front.

Your home depot sells maple? Lucky! All mine sells is poplar, pine and red
oak.

I kind of agree with you on the brass pull. I thought it would be fine
but it's just not right.
I'm looking for a better one.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I think that would be true but for the maple drawer front. In my opinion the
drawer front gives the piece a contemporary feel and in turn the simple
brass knob looks the part .

Overall the piece is very nice ,the proportions the constuction the
materials all are good ....mjh

"Kevin" wrote in message
Stoutman wrote:
I really like it with the exception of the brass pull. Love the tapered
legs and the contrast of the drawer front.

Your home depot sells maple? Lucky! All mine sells is poplar, pine and
red oak.

I kind of agree with you on the brass pull. I thought it would be fine but
it's just not right.
I'm looking for a better one.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mapdude wrote:
Nice table....but when are you gonna hang those picture frames in the
background?

Haaaa. I knew I should have moved them.
I just changed jobs and those were in my office.
You're right I need to hang those somewhere.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Your wife made a wise decision. Beautiful table but the brass nob does not
to it justice. It really needs a handmade knob... maybe ebony or something
on that order. Canarywood would also look nice. The piece is very well made
and looks very nice. Enhance it with a different knob that will really set
it off.

Tim

"Kevin" wrote in message
. ..
My wife said the TV table next to the couch where I sit had to go so I
built this.
It’s mahogany with a tiger maple drawer font. The secondary wood is
poplar and I made support rails out of maple.
The finish is spar varnish (you can take the boy out of the boat shop
but you can’t take the bat shop out of the boy).
Two spit coats, 50-50 varnish and thinner, then two full strength coats
with sanding in between.
No pore filler or shellac first just the spar varnish. For the draw
front I added a little stain to make it pop a little more.

I get a bunch of my tiger maple from my local Home Depot. Every time I
pick through their maple selection I find 1 or 2 pieces of nice tiger.
That’s where the drawer front came from.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kevin" wrote in message
. ..
My wife said the TV table next to the couch where I sit had to go so I
built this.

It is really nice, but the old table was more versatile. Women, they can
spoil the simplest things.

The tiger maple makes for a nice accent!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 13 May 2007 13:03:51 -0400, Kevin wrote:

My wife said the TV table next to the couch where I sit had to go so I
built this.
It’s mahogany with a tiger maple drawer font. The secondary wood is
poplar and I made support rails out of maple.
The finish is spar varnish (you can take the boy out of the boat shop
but you can’t take the bat shop out of the boy).
Two spit coats, 50-50 varnish and thinner, then two full strength coats
with sanding in between.
No pore filler or shellac first just the spar varnish. For the draw
front I added a little stain to make it pop a little more.

I get a bunch of my tiger maple from my local Home Depot. Every time I
pick through their maple selection I find 1 or 2 pieces of nice tiger.
That’s where the drawer front came from.

Oh yeah, that's nice! Clean, elegant, and nice grain.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Calvin wrote:
I like the drive by showing that clamp collection.....

I've been kinda eyeing one of those Rikon 14" bandsaws myself... I have
a 16" Minimax which is great, but I'd sure like to avoid doing the blade
swap shuffle all the time. Keeping a resaw blade on the Minimax and a
1/4" blade on the Rikon would be a lot more productive.

Oh and btw Kevin, the table looks very nice. :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
Calvin wrote:
I like the drive by showing that clamp collection.....

I've been kinda eyeing one of those Rikon 14" bandsaws myself... I have
a 16" Minimax which is great, but I'd sure like to avoid doing the blade
swap shuffle all the time. Keeping a resaw blade on the Minimax and a
1/4" blade on the Rikon would be a lot more productive.

Oh and btw Kevin, the table looks very nice. :-)

So far I really like the band saw. It's a site better than the one I
had, and old Craftsman 12" that had run it's course. I only wish I had
waited for the 14" Deluxe with the taller throat.

....and thanks for the compliment.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Mahogany side table..thanks everyone...

On to the next project.
A small bench for my wife for her to sit on while weaving, she's a fiber
artist and spins and weaves.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kevin" wrote in message
. ..
On to the next project.
A small bench for my wife for her to sit on while weaving, she's a fiber
artist and spins and weaves.

Just cut down the legs on your original side table - that should work.

BTW, nice job on the new one bt I agree the brass knob should go.

Vic

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin wrote:

On to the next project.
A small bench for my wife for her to sit on while weaving, she's a fiber
artist and spins and weaves.

Like this?

Attached Thumbnails
Mahogany side table-070516-07-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin wrote:

On to the next project.
A small bench for my wife for her to sit on while weaving, she's a fiber
artist and spins and weaves.

Sorry for hi-res picture posting.

Like this?

Attached Thumbnails
Mahogany side table-070516-07-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Larry Spitz wrote:

Sorry for hi-res picture posting.

Like this?

Yup Larry very much like that.
BTW The wife like the loom.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Larry Spitz wrote in news:134k9gis8qrple3
@corp.supernews.com:

Kevin wrote:

On to the next project.
A small bench for my wife for her to sit on while weaving, she's a fiber
artist and spins and weaves.

Sorry for hi-res picture posting.

Like this?

Thirty five years ago, there was one of those in my apartment living room.
Made it hard to watch baseball.

She's a quilter now, and has 2.5 of the 4 bedrooms in the house full of
stuff. Oh, and several of the tall shelves in the garage/shop, too.

Patriarch