Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Using up cut-offs (DC on the cheap)

I have a router table with a behind-the-fence 2-1/4" port for
attaching a Shop-Vac. I've been thinking of inserting a cyclone
separator to avoid having to empty the Shop-Vac so frequently.

I have a small steel barrel about 19-1/4" in diameter, and it should
be no big deal to make a plywood lid. What I don't have are the
30-degree and 90-degree flanged fittings.

This evening, I realized that I could cut 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" squares from
cutoffs, drill a 2-1/4" hole in the center, and glue 'em together to
make a square "pipe" - then saw the pipe in half on the diagonal to
produce not one, but /two/ intake fittings. The result won't be
exactly 30-degrees, but it'll be "close enough".

My drawing shows four 2x pipe segments, but the segment thickness
doesn't matter.

I'm thinking of using a template and drilling four 1/4" holes so I can
use dowels to ensure alignment (and perhaps add a bit of strength),
but this extra work is purely optional.

A fifth 2x "pipe segment" will be used in the center of the lid as the
outlet connector for the Shop-Vac's hose.

I plan to position the two connectors and trace the holes with a
pencil - then drill and use a jig saw to cut matching holes in the
lid. When that's done I'll just glue my hose attachment fittings to
the lid.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the second one. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC_Inlet.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	896

Cheap phone cord (related to cheap extension cords) mm Home Repair 20 August 8th 06 04:04 AM
Anyone tried the Beverly shear knock-offs sold on ebay? Bert Metalworking 4 March 1st 06 06:54 PM
CNC on the cheap D Murphy Metalworking 6 October 14th 05 05:10 AM
Free Money Rip-Offs [email protected] Home Ownership 2 April 4th 05 12:14 AM
safety question - many short cut-offs using a stop igor Woodworking 16 November 21st 04 02:17 AM