Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Using up cut-offs (DC on the cheap)

Bob the Tomato wrote:

| Okay. Gotcha. Are you going to cyclone in a helical shape down the
| sides of a cylinder? That way you wouldn't need a cone shape... I
| imagine you could shape a spiral flange guide out of flat sheet
| metal and pop rivet it to the sides of the cylinder. Love to see a
| pic when you finish it up and hear how it works.

Not even. I'm going to make a flat lid to fit on top of a small steel
drum.

It's a single drum version of the lash-up shown at the top of the page
at the link below, scaled down for a wimpy 2+hp DeWalt router and a
6hp (advertized) Shop-Vac. BTW, the separators shown in the photo have
worked well enough that after 5+ years of sucking up the dust from the
ShopBot, there's less than 2" of dust in the bottom bag of my DC.

The Shop-Vac does an adequate job of collecting the debris, but fills
up (both the container and the filter) too rapidly. I'm hoping that
this crude little DC will save me time and effort, and allow the
Shop-Vac to run with a cleaner filter.

Even if it doesn't do any of the above, I'll still have managed to
shrink the scrap pile. If it works /really/ well, I'll see how well
they work together for normal clean-up operations. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar