Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Maple step stool

Many moons ago, Mark Johnson posted pictures of his step stool which I
really liked. I liked it enough to try to copy it that is. Well a lot got
lost or changed in translation.

I built a prototype based on the dimensions that Mark used but my wife found
it was too tall for her to sit on comfortably, so though I preferred the
proportions of Mark's I had to increase the angle of the back of the post
from 12 to 17.5 degrees as well as leave off the footrest in order to lower
the seat height.

Here it is, both sitting in the middle of our kitchen floor and in its
normal location at the desk.

Larry

Attached Thumbnails
Maple step stool-desk-jpg  Maple step stool-stool1-jpg  Maple step stool-stool3-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very cool stool! (although it almost seems to defy the laws of physics
to think the top level would be stable)

Very unusual but beautiful cabinets as well. Did you make them?
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

Very cool stool! (although it almost seems to defy the laws of physics
to think the top level would be stable)

I find it quite stable on the top step. I did not design it for standing on
the seat but my wife did not know that and she has stood on the seat
without problems.

Very unusual but beautiful cabinets as well. Did you make them?

I designed the maple and walnut cabinets, but a friend of mine, a
professional cabinet maker, did the lion's share of the fabrication. If I
had tackled the cabinets the project would have lingered on for years!

Larry

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Larry Spitz" wrote in message
Many moons ago, Mark Johnson posted pictures of his step stool which I
really liked. I liked it enough to try to copy it that is. Well a lot got
lost or changed in translation.

I built a prototype based on the dimensions that Mark used but my wife
found
it was too tall for her to sit on comfortably, so though I preferred the
proportions of Mark's I had to increase the angle of the back of the post
from 12 to 17.5 degrees as well as leave off the footrest in order to
lower
the seat height.

Here it is, both sitting in the middle of our kitchen floor and in its
normal location at the desk.

Larry

Very nice work, but I'd be afraid to step on it. How critical is the angle?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Larry Spitz" wrote in message
Many moons ago, Mark Johnson posted pictures of his step stool which I
really liked. I liked it enough to try to copy it that is. Well a lot got
lost or changed in translation.

I built a prototype based on the dimensions that Mark used but my wife
found
it was too tall for her to sit on comfortably, so though I preferred the
proportions of Mark's I had to increase the angle of the back of the post
from 12 to 17.5 degrees as well as leave off the footrest in order to
lower
the seat height.

Here it is, both sitting in the middle of our kitchen floor and in its
normal location at the desk.

Larry

Very nice work, but I'd be afraid to step on it. How critical is the
angle?

Left-right: I'm 5'11", 190lbs. I too thought it might be unstable but when I
built the 12 degree prototype I found the physical stability to be just
fine, apart from the psychological apprehension inherent in the steps being
supported at the center only. I was concerned that my feet might slip off
the outside edges but there does not seem to be any tendency to do so
(shoes, stocking feet, barefoot).

Front-back: When I went to 17.5 degrees, I moved the post back on the base
so that the center of gravity would still be directly above the base, and
there is no problem with standing on the top step. So front to back
stability has not been a problem at either angle.

I did not calculate geometry planning on anyone standing on the top (seat),
just as most of us do not stand on the top of a step ladder. My wife, not
realizing this, and without my seeing her, did stand on the seat, also
without problems.

So as far as I am concerned the problems are visual, not physical.

Perhaps Mark Johnson would comment on his experience.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

That is absolutely amazing.
Not only an incredible piece of art, but a functional piece of furniture.

Makes me wish I had one!

Kate

"Larry Spitz" wrote in message
Many moons ago, Mark Johnson posted pictures of his step stool which I
really liked. I liked it enough to try to copy it that is. Well a lot got
lost or changed in translation.

I built a prototype based on the dimensions that Mark used but my wife found
it was too tall for her to sit on comfortably, so though I preferred the
proportions of Mark's I had to increase the angle of the back of the post
from 12 to 17.5 degrees as well as leave off the footrest in order to lower
the seat height.

Here it is, both sitting in the middle of our kitchen floor and in its
normal location at the desk.

Larry

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Looks good Larry. The proportions change the look a bit, but I still like
it. It's neat to see an alternate design option without having to build
another prototype.

Did you change the joints any? Any mechanical fasteners at the steps or
foot?

-MJ

"Larry Spitz" wrote in message
Many moons ago, Mark Johnson posted pictures of his step stool which I
really liked. I liked it enough to try to copy it that is. Well a lot got
lost or changed in translation.

I built a prototype based on the dimensions that Mark used but my wife
found
it was too tall for her to sit on comfortably, so though I preferred the
proportions of Mark's I had to increase the angle of the back of the post
from 12 to 17.5 degrees as well as leave off the footrest in order to
lower
the seat height.

Here it is, both sitting in the middle of our kitchen floor and in its
normal location at the desk.

Larry

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Larry Spitz" wrote in message

Very nice work, but I'd be afraid to step on it. How critical is the
angle?

Perhaps Mark Johnson would comment on his experience.

My prototype was built out of 2x stock (planed to 1 3/8"), and wobbled
considerably left-to-right. The final is maple and red oak at 2" for the
leg, and is very rigid. If the kids try to climb the wrong side (using the
foot rest as a step and hanging off of the seat) it will tip forward, but
for the intended use it is very stable. I wouldn't recommend standing on
the top with the longer neck, but since the steps only run half way up the
back it's not easy to do. I also made the steps deeper for the final
version. They were 4" tapering to 3" at the outside in the prototype, but
that didn't leave enough surface. I think the final is 5" deep at the leg,
giving a better standing platform.

-MJ

Attached Thumbnails
Maple step stool-help03-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mark Johnson" wrote in message

My prototype was built out of 2x stock (planed to 1 3/8"), and wobbled
considerably left-to-right. The final is maple and red oak at 2" for the
leg, and is very rigid. If the kids try to climb the wrong side (using
the foot rest as a step and hanging off of the seat) it will tip forward,
but for the intended use it is very stable. I wouldn't recommend standing
on the top with the longer neck, but since the steps only run half way up
the back it's not easy to do. I also made the steps deeper for the final
version. They were 4" tapering to 3" at the outside in the prototype, but
that didn't leave enough surface. I think the final is 5" deep at the
leg, giving a better standing platform.

Good lookin' step stools.

Totally cute kids.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mark Johnson wrote:

Looks good Larry. The proportions change the look a bit, but I still like
it. It's neat to see an alternate design option without having to build
another prototype.

Did you change the joints any? Any mechanical fasteners at the steps or
foot?

-MJ

I'm glad you like it. And again my public thanks for your original posting
and subsequent answers to my questions.

The joints at the steps are basically the same as yours. I used a single
tenon at both the base and the seat in contrast to your double tenons.

There are no mechanical fasteners for the steps. I did put in two screws
though the base into the the tenon on the bottom of the post, but one of
the screws broke and the joint seems to be adequately strong with just one,
and I guess, would be OK with none.

Larry

I used the Domino to build a step stool Leon Woodworking 9 June 28th 07 02:59 PM
Yet Another Step Stool Stoutman Woodworking 16 May 20th 07 09:17 PM
Step Stool Project Rocky Woodworking 3 February 27th 07 02:33 AM
Another step stool Stoutman Woodworking 3 July 19th 06 10:50 PM
New Step Stool Stoutman Woodworking 18 July 18th 06 02:36 AM