Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Wood ID Please - 3 attachments

I was able to get my hands on a couple of pieces of log that I thought was
oak just by looking at the bark. ( it still winter here in Minnesota, so no
leaves). When I cut it open I am not so sure. The heartwood has the
coloration of oak, but the grain is wide and coarse. The sap wood is plain
and white, with straight grain. My guess is that this is a type of oak and
from my researching around the net, it may be bur oak. Can anyone verify
this for me? thank in advance for your input.

Attached Thumbnails
Wood ID Please - 3 attachments-dscn1393-jpg  Wood ID Please - 3 attachments-dscn1392-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1391.JPG (47.8 KB, 51 views)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"KarlB" wrote in message
I was able to get my hands on a couple of pieces of log that I thought was
oak just by looking at the bark. ( it still winter here in Minnesota, so
no
leaves). When I cut it open I am not so sure. The heartwood has the
coloration of oak, but the grain is wide and coarse. The sap wood is plain
and white, with straight grain. My guess is that this is a type of oak and
from my researching around the net, it may be bur oak. Can anyone verify
this for me? thank in advance for your input.

I don't know the wood, but that heartwood is just beautiful. I hope you have
something special planned for it.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

KarlB wrote:
I was able to get my hands on a couple of pieces of log that I thought was
oak just by looking at the bark. ( it still winter here in Minnesota, so no
leaves). When I cut it open I am not so sure. The heartwood has the
coloration of oak, but the grain is wide and coarse. The sap wood is plain
and white, with straight grain. My guess is that this is a type of oak and
from my researching around the net, it may be bur oak. Can anyone verify
this for me? thank in advance for your input.

I haven't seen the inside, but I have two pin oaks that match the bark
pretty well. They are about 40 ft and are as straight as an arrow.

Dave