John Pilhoefer

Default Copy Attachments

Will a copy attachment work with large bowls, or only with spindles ,
legs.....

Does any one make a bowl copier.

Thanks,
John

Bill Rubenstein

Not that I know of except for commercial bowl production. There are
businesses here in Missouri which crank out really poorly made walnut
bowls by the thousands.

Bill

John Pilhoefer wrote:
Will a copy attachment work with large bowls, or only with spindles ,
legs.....

Does any one make a bowl copier.

Thanks,
John

Leo Lichtman

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote: (clip) There are businesses here in Missouri
which crank out really poorly made walnut bowls by the thousands.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Besides, I don't believe those machines are really copying. They are
performing a set of programmed steps to produce a bowl. The characteristics
of the bowl are probably chosen to make the operation feasible. Hand that
machine a different shape to "copy" and it will be helpless.

Even spindle copiers are regarded as poor performers. Many turners have
reported that they can more successfully produce duplicates by programming
their brains than by struggling with the shortcomings of a copy attachment.

George

"John Pilhoefer" wrote in message
Will a copy attachment work with large bowls, or only with spindles ,
legs.....

Does any one make a bowl copier.

If you read the sales pitch, you'll find that some are capable of making
shallow bowls. Limit is the travel of the cutter.

Of course, the bowl saver sets will produce consistent results. They ought
to, as they basically duplicate the process by which bowls were made "back
when."

mac davis

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:24:04 GMT, "John Pilhoefer" wrote:

Will a copy attachment work with large bowls, or only with spindles ,
legs.....

Does any one make a bowl copier.

Thanks,
John

The closest thing that I've seen to that would be a bowl corer..
http://www.oneway.on.ca/coring/large_coring.htm
That would give you a uniform size and shape ad leave the creative part to
you... and produce more bowls and less shavings from large blanks..

Yeah, I'm suffering from coring envy.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Arch

Bill, are those mass produced walnut bowls cheap yet suitable bowl
blanks...or is that against the rules? In my wickedness and vice, I
thought about re-turning some bowls and platters from Target & WalMart,
but Far East wood is too identifiable and..... Oh the humiliation! if
the public prefers original Target over my 'artistic upgrades'.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Roger

Wouldn't that violate the moral rights of the original "artist" and set
off a whole 'nother copyright thread?

Those bowls are thick enough to try to refine a reasonable shape out of
them. Sadly they're cut with no regard to grain direction or color. I
thought about doing just what you suggest every time I drove past that
big "Walnut Bowls" sign on I-80. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than a
bowl blank at the woodcraft.

Roger

Arch wrote:
Bill, are those mass produced walnut bowls cheap yet suitable bowl
blanks...or is that against the rules? In my wickedness and vice, I
thought about re-turning some bowls and platters from Target & WalMart,
but Far East wood is too identifiable and..... Oh the humiliation! if
the public prefers original Target over my 'artistic upgrades'.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

WillR

Roger wrote:
Wouldn't that violate the moral rights of the original "artist" and set
off a whole 'nother copyright thread?

No.

It would just embarrass Arch and there are no laws on that issue. Well
-- none that apply here anyway.

Considering the potential source of the wood material perhaps we should
have a thread on "immoral rights" -- and all that stuff. :-)

Unless you wanna insist the copy machine is an artist.... LOL

Those bowls are thick enough to try to refine a reasonable shape out of
them. Sadly they're cut with no regard to grain direction or color. I
thought about doing just what you suggest every time I drove past that
big "Walnut Bowls" sign on I-80. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than a
bowl blank at the woodcraft.

Roger

I always said to people if you make a copy Michelangelo's "David" from a
pile of crud, you still have the crud -- no matter the form.

Arch wrote:

Bill, are those mass produced walnut bowls cheap yet suitable bowl
blanks...or is that against the rules? In my wickedness and vice, I
thought about re-turning some bowls and platters from Target & WalMart,
but Far East wood is too identifiable and..... Oh the humiliation! if
the public prefers original Target over my 'artistic upgrades'.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Consider yerself humiliated you common Walmart copier you. ROTFLMAO.

Will
Occasional Techno-geek
WillR

Roger wrote:
Wouldn't that violate the moral rights of the original "artist" and set
off a whole 'nother copyright thread?

Just to be serious for one mad moment...

Yes it is a violation. Assuming there was an "original artist(s). If it
was something sorta close to what was intended by a CNC programmer who
wasn't really sure (and likely did not care) what it should look like --
it's still a violation -- but you would be violating the butt of a joke
-- and who _would_ care?

Now if you threw yourself at the feet of the Walmart lawyers, confessed
and insisted they prosecute -- to preserve your sense of morality -- I
am sure they could get you on trespassing and make it stick if you
barged into their offices without a formal invite.

....Or they could turn you over to their Taiwanese manufacturer -- who
would then try to cut a direct deal and get rid of Walmart (the
middleman) so they could make more money from you...

Whew! Got that of my chest. ROTFLMAO

There will be a short quiz on tomorrow's postings. :-))

Those bowls are thick enough to try to refine a reasonable shape out of
them. Sadly they're cut with no regard to grain direction or color. I
thought about doing just what you suggest every time I drove past that
big "Walnut Bowls" sign on I-80. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than a
bowl blank at the woodcraft.

Roger

Wonder if they got 'em here he muses...

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Leo Lichtman

"Roger" wrote: (clip) I thought about doing just what you suggest every
time I drove past that big "Walnut Bowls" sign on I-80. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Where on I-80? I live within 1 1/2 mi of it, but it's kinda long. (Are you
sure they're not selling gift bowls of wawlnuts?) :-)

Roger

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Roger" wrote: (clip) I thought about doing just what you suggest
every time I drove past that big "Walnut Bowls" sign on I-80. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Where on I-80? I live within 1 1/2 mi of it, but it's kinda long.
(Are you sure they're not selling gift bowls of wawlnuts?) :-)

Sorry, brain cramp--it's been a few years. The place I was thinking of
was actually on I-44, near Lebanon, MO, though there were also signs on
I-70. Drove by it on the way to fishing at Bennett Spring. I don't know
whether they made the bowls on site, but they had a very interesting
barrel making operation there. Apparently produced a lot of the oak
barrels for California wineries.

Roger
mac davis

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:10:27 -0400, WillR
wrote:

Roger wrote:
[...]

Walmart would probably encourage you to make lots and lots of bowls, since they
are selling you the "blanks"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
George

"Roger" wrote in message
Sorry, brain cramp--it's been a few years. The place I was thinking of
was actually on I-44, near Lebanon, MO, though there were also signs on
I-70. Drove by it on the way to fishing at Bennett Spring. I don't know
whether they made the bowls on site, but they had a very interesting
barrel making operation there. Apparently produced a lot of the oak
barrels for California wineries.

Yep, took the tour. They do make the bowls there.

I imagine they make whiskey for those barrels, as the California estate
types are only too quick to mention the "French" oak in their barrels.

WillR

mac davis wrote:
Walmart would probably encourage you to make lots and lots of bowls, since they
are selling you the "blanks"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Geez I was on a roll there.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Copy attachment? Camoman Woodturning 1 March 5th 05 07:01 PM
Craftsman 12"lathe copy crafter [email protected] Woodworking 1 February 20th 05 07:01 PM
Pls Help - cannot get copy of DVD to work on DVD player [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 December 12th 04 10:43 PM
For a copy of The Embedded Newsletter Chris Stephens Electronics 0 June 9th 04 12:44 PM
10K vs 10L Taper Attachments Artemia Salina Metalworking 5 November 20th 03 08:31 AM