Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default How can I make this?

I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg angle (I
think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and bottoms
should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off).

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various other
common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this makes
sense!

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
How can I make this?-post-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message
I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg angle
(I
think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and bottoms
should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off).

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various other
common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this makes
sense!

Thanks.

Actually it appears the angles would be 36 deg all the way around, a decagon
is the shape I am after:

Attached Thumbnails
How can I make this?-150px-decagon-svg%5B1%5D-png
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message
I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg angle
(I think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and
bottoms should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off).

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various other
common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this makes
sense!

Sure, make a jig to hold the piece and support the router, then face off the
offending portions. Wouldn't be a lot different than any fluting jig. You
do the search.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in
:

"Locutus" wrote in message
I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg
angle (I
think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and
bottoms should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off).

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various
other common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this
makes sense!

Thanks.

Actually it appears the angles would be 36 deg all the way around, a
decagon is the shape I am after:

begin 666 150px-Decagon.svg[1].png
Attachment decoded: 150px-Decagon.svg[1].png
`
end

You do realize that making a decagon would require you to face all 10
sides, including those parallel to the original post faces? If you make
a sketch, you'll see that the distance between opposite faces of a
decagonal prism cut from a true 4x4 is only 3 1/4(or a little shy); if
the 4x4 is actually 3 1/2 x 3 1/2, the distance between opposite faces
is a little shy of 2 7/8. The octagon would be a lot easier to lay
out...
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jim Willemin" wrote in message
"Locutus" wrote in
:

"Locutus" wrote in message
I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg
angle (I
think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and
bottoms should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off).

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various
other common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this
makes sense!

Thanks.

Actually it appears the angles would be 36 deg all the way around, a
decagon is the shape I am after:

begin 666 150px-Decagon.svg[1].png
Attachment decoded: 150px-Decagon.svg[1].png
`
end

You do realize that making a decagon would require you to face all 10
sides, including those parallel to the original post faces?

hmmm, maybe I am missing something, but it looks like 2 sides would be left
unfaced? (left and right sides in the pic)

The octagon would be a lot easier to lay out...

True, but that's not the look I am going for.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Remember that the distance between the points you show at the top and the
bottom cannot exceed the dimension of the material and all of the parallel
faces must be the same distance apart. Thus if the points are 4", the faces
must be less than 4".

I would suggest building a jig that would allow you to support the post
between centers (like on lathe) with an indexing disk, and support a router
above the post such that the router bit can be lowered to come in contact
with the post. Using an indexing disk with 10 equally spaced holes around
the diameter, rotate the post, lock it in place and use a dado bit to
flatten each face. The jig should be pretty straight forward to build.
Start with a 2x8 longer than your post and a couple of saw horses. Then
most of the rest can be built of sheet goods. I think it might be easier to
allow the centers to move up and down rather than trying to make the router
support platform adjustable.

Good luck and send us some pictures when you get everything worked out.

"Locutus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Locutus" wrote in message

You do realize that making a decagon would require you to face all 10
sides, including those parallel to the original post faces?

hmmm, maybe I am missing something, but it looks like 2 sides would be

left
unfaced? (left and right sides in the pic

He's right. You'll have to face every side.