Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to make make a 12-foot piece of ply?

I need a 12-foot by 8.5" piece of 3/8" ply. The box stores only carry
8-foot ply stock. Already I have a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" ply. Is it
possible to make a 12-foot piece? I have most common tools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:

I need a 12-foot by 8.5" piece of 3/8" ply. The box stores only carry
8-foot ply stock. Already I have a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" ply. Is it
possible to make a 12-foot piece? I have most common tools.

There are lots of ways depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Can you tolerate a seam?

Are you trying to bend the finished piece?

What is the application?

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phish . . .

Do you know how to make a SCARF ?

Another sheet, some care & attention, a few minutes with a plane, a
relatively flat place, a few brads, some GOOD glue, a bit of plastic wrap,
some clamps & scrap '2x's . . . and Bob's Your Uncle.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{PS - if you are unfamiliar with the word or process - drop me a line and
I'll give detailed info}

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I need a 12-foot by 8.5" piece of 3/8" ply. The box stores only carry
8-foot ply stock. Already I have a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" ply. Is it
possible to make a 12-foot piece? I have most common tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:
| I need a 12-foot by 8.5" piece of 3/8" ply. The box stores only
| carry 8-foot ply stock. Already I have a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" ply.
| Is it possible to make a 12-foot piece? I have most common tools.

I've spliced 3/4" Extira to make 12-foot sheets - and would guess than
the same method would work for ply. I routed a pair of 1/3-thickness
steps 3" wide on the edges to be mated and joined with epoxy - with
full-width clamping. You can see the clamping lash-up in the top two
photos at the link in my sig.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:23:11 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I need a 12-foot by 8.5" piece of 3/8" ply. The box stores only carry
8-foot ply stock. Already I have a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" ply. Is it
possible to make a 12-foot piece? I have most common tools.

Or you could buy 1/8 stuff, cut out extra bits from 3-4 sheets and
do a glue up to make a larger piece using staggered joints. Getting
a press to clamp it together might be an issue.

Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote in
:

I need a 12-foot by 8.5" piece of 3/8" ply. The box stores only carry
8-foot ply stock. Already I have a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" ply. Is it
possible to make a 12-foot piece? I have most common tools.

Strange. The plywood dealer I use has 12' stock. Maybe not in rift-sawn
Appalachian Cherry veneer, but in a number of very useful grades and types.

Check with another dealer, one who sells to a lot of cabinet chops. Maybe
you'll have better luck.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Patriarch wrote:
Phisherman wrote in
:

I need a 12-foot by 8.5" piece of 3/8" ply. The box stores only carry
8-foot ply stock. Already I have a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" ply. Is it
possible to make a 12-foot piece? I have most common tools.

Strange. The plywood dealer I use has 12' stock. Maybe not in rift-sawn
Appalachian Cherry veneer, but in a number of very useful grades and types.

Check with another dealer, one who sells to a lot of cabinet chops. Maybe
you'll have better luck.

Or check with local cabinet shops -- since he only needs an 8.5-inch strip,
it's barely possible there might be an offcut available. Doesn't seem real
practical to buy an entire 12' sheet for one strip.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ron Magen" wrote in message
Phish . . .

Do you know how to make a SCARF ?

You want him to knit the plywood?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 19, 10:52 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Ron Magen" wrote in message

Phish . . .

Do you know how to make a SCARF ?

You want him to knit the plywood?

Darn right.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Ron Magen" wrote in message
Phish . . .

Do you know how to make a SCARF ?

You want him to knit the plywood?

Dammit, Ed, you owe me a new keyboard.

I know enough to swallow the coffee before opening any of Buddy Matlosz's
posts, but you caught me unawares.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:23:11 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I need a 12-foot by 8.5" piece of 3/8" ply. The box stores only carry
8-foot ply stock. Already I have a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" ply. Is it
possible to make a 12-foot piece? I have most common tools.

DAGS "stitch and glue" process

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:
I need a 12-foot by 8.5" piece of 3/8" ply. The box stores only carry
8-foot ply stock. Already I have a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" ply. Is it
possible to make a 12-foot piece? I have most common tools.

Google for "scarf joint" and a jig for the same. There are a few ways
of cutting this. One of the easist & most common uses a jig and a hand held
power planer. I've seen different figures for the strenght of this joint
and it varies with the angle of the scarf, but it is strong enough
to be the standard method of making longer plywood panels for boat
building.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I need a 12-foot by 8.5" piece of 3/8" ply. The box stores only carry
8-foot ply stock. Already I have a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" ply. Is it
possible to make a 12-foot piece? I have most common tools.

I think I remember that 6:1 or some ration like that works. Make a ramped
jig that allows you to use a router.

Try these links.

http://www.boat-links.com/Scarfing.html

http://oneoceankayaks.com/stitchglue.../scarfjig2.htm

http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/tips/scarfjnt.htm

http://www.naese.com/scarfing.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

I need a 12-foot by 8.5" piece of 3/8" ply. The box stores only carry
8-foot ply stock. Already I have a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" ply. Is it
possible to make a 12-foot piece? I have most common tools.

http://www.eagleplywood.com/ says they make up to 5' x 12' panels (and
they're not the only one). Any good lumber yard (i.e. not Home Depot)
should be able to locate and order some for you. You might pay a premium
for it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:23:11 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I need a 12-foot by 8.5" piece of 3/8" ply. The box stores only carry
8-foot ply stock. Already I have a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" ply. Is it
possible to make a 12-foot piece? I have most common tools.

Thanks for all the replies. This is for a shelf inside a 12-foot
valance I'm making. I found some good info on scarfing ply which is
often used in boat building. After some thought, I decided to make
the shelf out of solid pine (1/2" thick) and attach it to the valance
sides using a split tenon with 1/16" space allowance in the mortises
for seasonal changes. With requests, I'll post some pictures in the
pictures group.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 7:35 pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:23:11 GMT, Phisherman wrote:
I need a 12-foot by 8.5" piece of 3/8" ply. The box stores only carry
8-foot ply stock. Already I have a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" ply. Is it
possible to make a 12-foot piece? I have most common tools.

Thanks for all the replies. This is for a shelf inside a 12-foot
valance I'm making. I found some good info on scarfing ply which is
often used in boat building. After some thought, I decided to make
the shelf out of solid pine (1/2" thick) and attach it to the valance
sides using a split tenon with 1/16" space allowance in the mortises
for seasonal changes. With requests, I'll post some pictures in the
pictures group.

-- After some thought, I decided to make the shelf out of solid pine
(1/2" thick)

Hollow pine would be lighter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

-- After some thought, I decided to make the shelf out of solid pine
(1/2" thick)

Hollow pine would be lighter.

It's tough to cut the pine so that it follows the hollow heart and still
ends up straight. Usually have to steam bent afterwards and plug at
least one end.

Better just to get a balsa plank and skin it with 3/8 pine for a
lightweight torsion box.

;-)

Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000758-3, 07/22/2007
Tested on: 7/22/2007 2:01:08 PM