Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default How to make make a 12-foot piece of ply?

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:
I need a 12-foot by 8.5" piece of 3/8" ply. The box stores only carry
8-foot ply stock. Already I have a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" ply. Is it
possible to make a 12-foot piece? I have most common tools.

Google for "scarf joint" and a jig for the same. There are a few ways
of cutting this. One of the easist & most common uses a jig and a hand held
power planer. I've seen different figures for the strenght of this joint
and it varies with the angle of the scarf, but it is strong enough
to be the standard method of making longer plywood panels for boat
building.