Mike S.

Default Old Craftsman Lathe face plate needed

I picked up a old Craftsman lathe last week, model # 149.23871. I got it
pretty cheap and appears to work ok. turned a few spindles on it with no
problems.
I ordered the manual from Sears and it listed a faceplate with a order # of
9HT23865. Sears doesn't carry this anymore and has no substitute for it. I
was wondering if anyone had one laying around they aren't using that they'd
be willing to part with.
Thanks, Mike

Walt Conner

I would think the only thing you really need to know is what is the thread?
I am guessing it is 3/4" by 16, if so, I may have one or two. If not, there
are different places I have seen advertise which have, or will make a
variety of face plates.

Walt Conner

Sears doesn't carry this anymore and has no substitute for it.

John

I have an old Dunlap (sold by Sears years ago) and found a face plate at
home depot (Ridgid Brand)that fit the threads.It would be worth a try as
their return policy is very liberal Qlty

Doug Miller

In article , "Mike S." wrote:
I picked up a old Craftsman lathe last week, model # 149.23871. I got it
pretty cheap and appears to work ok. turned a few spindles on it with no
problems.
I ordered the manual from Sears and it listed a faceplate with a order # of
9HT23865. Sears doesn't carry this anymore and has no substitute for it. I
was wondering if anyone had one laying around they aren't using that they'd
be willing to part with.

If the headstock uses the 3/4 x 16 threads that most Craftsman lathes do,
Sears still sells faceplates that fit (although apparently with a different
part number). So do a lot of other places.

Even if it's some other diameter and thread pitch, you still shouldn't have
any problem finding something that will fit. Who says it has to come from
Sears? Google is your friend.

Here are a couple of places to try as a start:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/ca...aceplates.html
http://www.packardwoodworks.com - click Accessories, then Faceplates

--
Regards,

George

"Mike S." wrote in message
. com...
I picked up a old Craftsman lathe last week, model # 149.23871. I got it
pretty cheap and appears to work ok. turned a few spindles on it with no
problems.
I ordered the manual from Sears and it listed a faceplate with a order #

of
9HT23865. Sears doesn't carry this anymore and has no substitute for it. I
was wondering if anyone had one laying around they aren't using that

they'd
be willing to part with.

Couple of suggestions of 3/4. If so, get a fine and a coarse thread nut of
the same diameter and try. Then go to someplace like www.grizzly.com for a
suitable faceplate.

Mike S.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll check into all the suggestions. I'm new to
turning and swapped a old delta benchtop table saw for the lathe. Figured it
would be something to learn on and eventually if I enjoy turning as much as
I think I will I'll save up some and get a newer lathe.
Thanks, Mike

Leo Lichtman

Bill Noble likes to make faceplates by welding a washer to a nut, and he
sells them pretty cheap--I mean inexpensive. Look back through this NG, and
you'll find numerous postings by him.

dan cordes

Hi Mike,

Here are a couple links to help you out. I purchased soe from Bill Nible.
They work great.

http://www.wbnoble.com/

These from Mink are real pretty :-) And look real nice too.
http://www.minkcrafts.com/minkcraft_machined_items.html

Hope this helps you out.

Dan
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
Bill Noble likes to make faceplates by welding a washer to a nut, and he
sells them pretty cheap--I mean inexpensive. Look back through this NG,
and you'll find numerous postings by him.

Tom Puskar

I make "temporary" faceplates by imbedding a nut into a 1.2 inch block of
maple and turning it round. Although I have a Jet which uses 1" by 8tpi, I
imagine you could find 3/4 by 16 tpi nuts with little trouble. By drilling
a hole in the backside of the maple block to be just a bit snug for the nut,
you can get quite a few jobs out of one of these. When it gets loose or
sloppy, just drill another block--or epoxy it in.

You can attach stuff to the block with glue and turn it back to flat once
you part off the workpiece.

Works well for me and the beauty is they're dirt cheap!

Tom Puskar

"Mike S." wrote in message
. com...
I picked up a old Craftsman lathe last week, model # 149.23871. I got it
pretty cheap and appears to work ok. turned a few spindles on it with no
problems.
I ordered the manual from Sears and it listed a faceplate with a order #
of 9HT23865. Sears doesn't carry this anymore and has no substitute for
it. I was wondering if anyone had one laying around they aren't using that
they'd be willing to part with.
Thanks, Mike

Steven Raphael

Sears carries 4" and 8" facplates both of which come in 3/4" 16tpi and 1"
8tpi. I have two of the 4" faceplates but I prefer to use the 3" faceplate
from my delta.

Steven Raphael
Ithaca MI
http://www.geocities.com/steven_raphael/woodturnings1

william_b_noble

and, although I'd be happy to sell you welded ones (www.wbnoble.com) , you
can drill a hole (for 3/4 inch X 16, I'd drill 11/16 inch hole) in hard
maple or other hard wood, wax the spindle thread, and with a twist/untwist
motion, work the wood onto the thread - you will use your own spidle to form
the threads into the wood - this will hold up for a while and is really
cheap

bill