dogpoint

Default Hardinge lathe help needed

I have Hardinge TFB lathe (won't cut threads) and I need to remove the
spindle. I assume that it is same an HLV lathe, so I was hoping another
owner might be able to help me out. BTW, the machine has the tapered nose
NOT the threaded nose.

What I have done:

1. Removed the collet closer no problem there. The tooth gear (part of
closer) remains on the left end spindle.

2. Removed the three cap screws in the ring around the nose, moved the ring
about 1/8 " from the housing.

3. Removed a set screw from the tapered nose only to find it only fits in
the 5C collet groove (no help).

4. Wash my hands and turned on the computer.

If any one has a parts manual for this machine perhaps we can make a deal
(buy, borrow,.something)

TIA,

Richard

jim rozen

In article , dogpoint says...

I have Hardinge TFB lathe (won't cut threads) and I need to remove the
spindle.

Of course my first question is 'why?' It's my understanding
that once you remove the spindle you pretty much ruin the
bearing set, and then this has to be replaced. So maybe
you are changing the bearings because they're bad anyway.

The person you need to talk to is Gunner here, he will probably
reply. If you perform a google search, he has detailed the
exact steps to change HLVH bearings, in a former post of about
two years ago.

I've had the smaller hardinge lathe spindles apart, but
the HLVH headstock is somewhat different (uses a preload
cylinder, which slides over the spindle OD) and more
finicky.

Jim

please reply to:

Gunner

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 13:01:37 -0800, "dogpoint"
wrote:

I have Hardinge TFB lathe (won't cut threads) and I need to remove the
spindle. I assume that it is same an HLV lathe, so I was hoping another
owner might be able to help me out. BTW, the machine has the tapered nose
NOT the threaded nose.

What I have done:

1. Removed the collet closer no problem there. The tooth gear (part of
closer) remains on the left end spindle.

2. Removed the three cap screws in the ring around the nose, moved the ring
about 1/8 " from the housing.

3. Removed a set screw from the tapered nose only to find it only fits in
the 5C collet groove (no help).

4. Wash my hands and turned on the computer.

If any one has a parts manual for this machine perhaps we can make a deal
(buy, borrow,.something)

TIA,

Richard

Does your TFB have the access plate at the rear of the headstock? Are
the belts in the middle of the spindle or at the ass end of the
spindle?
Ill email you a poor gif of the procedure if its the center belt type.
If its the later end belt, Its easy, but remember..you will probably
wind up replaceing the $pindle bearings on the later model if you pull
the spindle.

Why are you pulling the spindle btw?
Check your email later tonight.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry
Gunner

On 2 Nov 2003 14:01:41 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , dogpoint says...

I have Hardinge TFB lathe (won't cut threads) and I need to remove the
spindle.

Of course my first question is 'why?' It's my understanding
that once you remove the spindle you pretty much ruin the
bearing set, and then this has to be replaced. So maybe
you are changing the bearings because they're bad anyway.

The person you need to talk to is Gunner here, he will probably
reply. If you perform a google search, he has detailed the
exact steps to change HLVH bearings, in a former post of about
two years ago.

I've had the smaller hardinge lathe spindles apart, but
the HLVH headstock is somewhat different (uses a preload
cylinder, which slides over the spindle OD) and more
finicky.

Jim

Jim is correct. The early model TFBs (and chuckers) could remove the
spindle at least to change the belts without blowing out the
bearings..but the later models dont need to pull the spindle to
replace the belts. Any removal of the spindle of the later model
machines, with the belt at the rear of the spindle, WILL result in
blowing out the bearings, unless you have a box seat at the Vatican.

Superprecision bearings for the Hardinge will set you back around $350
for the pair, if you buy them from Alpine Bearing in Boston, Mass..the
cheapest place Ive found...email me for a discount trick.

I emailed you a rather poor gif of the procedure for belt changing on
the older mid spindle belt models. Ill have to find the manuals and
scan them one of these days.