Tom Puskar

I make "temporary" faceplates by imbedding a nut into a 1.2 inch block of
maple and turning it round. Although I have a Jet which uses 1" by 8tpi, I
imagine you could find 3/4 by 16 tpi nuts with little trouble. By drilling
a hole in the backside of the maple block to be just a bit snug for the nut,
you can get quite a few jobs out of one of these. When it gets loose or
sloppy, just drill another block--or epoxy it in.

You can attach stuff to the block with glue and turn it back to flat once
you part off the workpiece.

Works well for me and the beauty is they're dirt cheap!

Tom Puskar

"Mike S." wrote in message
. com...
I picked up a old Craftsman lathe last week, model # 149.23871. I got it
pretty cheap and appears to work ok. turned a few spindles on it with no
problems.
I ordered the manual from Sears and it listed a faceplate with a order #
of 9HT23865. Sears doesn't carry this anymore and has no substitute for
it. I was wondering if anyone had one laying around they aren't using that
they'd be willing to part with.
Thanks, Mike