James Roadman

Default Help with Craftsman 15" lathe

I thought I was getting a good deal on a used 15" craftsman lathe but it
turns out the drive belt was slipping and in tatters. I removed the
belt (cut it) and the gear underneath (connected to the motor shaft) is
cracked and wobbles on the motor shaft. Has anyone had this problem?
The Sears service center will not accept it for repair and a house call
by their technicians is a bit expensive.

The folks at Sears have taken customer service and job knowledge to a
new low. I couldn't even talk to a technician that knew what a lathe is
or does. I'm not convinced it would be worth the house call to get the
fix.

James
Barry N. Turner

Did those guys give a reason for not accepting the lathe for repairs? Too
old? Can't get parts? Too messed up? Maybe the cost of repair would
exceed the value of the lathe when repaired. I'd want to know. Maybe you
asked too near quitting time. I'd probably try to talk with a supervisor,
even if the answer was still no.

Barry

"James Roadman" wrote in message
I thought I was getting a good deal on a used 15" craftsman lathe but it
turns out the drive belt was slipping and in tatters. I removed the
belt (cut it) and the gear underneath (connected to the motor shaft) is
cracked and wobbles on the motor shaft. Has anyone had this problem?
The Sears service center will not accept it for repair and a house call
by their technicians is a bit expensive.

The folks at Sears have taken customer service and job knowledge to a
new low. I couldn't even talk to a technician that knew what a lathe is
or does. I'm not convinced it would be worth the house call to get the
fix.

James

J. Clarke

James Roadman wrote:

I thought I was getting a good deal on a used 15" craftsman lathe but it
turns out the drive belt was slipping and in tatters. I removed the
belt (cut it) and the gear underneath (connected to the motor shaft) is
cracked and wobbles on the motor shaft. Has anyone had this problem?
The Sears service center will not accept it for repair and a house call
by their technicians is a bit expensive.

The folks at Sears have taken customer service and job knowledge to a
new low. I couldn't even talk to a technician that knew what a lathe is
or does. I'm not convinced it would be worth the house call to get the
fix.

If you know the model number then you should be able to find out if parts
are available from http://www3.sears.com/

James

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
James Roadman

In article ,
"Barry N. Turner" wrote:

[...]

I have since taken the lathe apart but I cannot find a model number
anywhere and I don't have the manual. If anyone has this model would
you share your model number? It is a Craftsman 15" variable speed which
has a small toothed belt running from the motor to a secondary pully.
The secondary pully adjusts the speed via a rotating knob by increasing
and decreasing the tension on another toothed v-belt. Hopefully I can
find a diagram with the model number to get the right parts.

Any held would be appreciated.

James