Terry G

Default Craftsman 101.07403 12" Lathe

Ok, I have been looking all day for info on this lathe and I just came
across a nice link. http://earth.prohosting.com/brdgprt/atlas.htm

According to the cover sheet of this link, It looks a if this lathe does
indeed have a 42" bed (hence the 40" measurement) and it is 30" between
centers (exactly why he measured).

Any other comments on this lathe?

Thanks.

"Terry G" wrote in message
newsuv5c.37951$506.16113@fed1read05...
I am picking up a craftsman model 101.07403 12" lathe tomorrow and I am a
bit confused on the actual bed length, and the 'between centers'

dimension.

I searched the web and newsgroups for this model lathe and found it to be
called a 12"x24" and a 12"x36" lathe. Does it come in two sizes?

The person I am purchasing it from actually measured the distance between
the front of the 3 jaw chuck (mounted on the headstock) and the front tip

of
the tailstock without anything installed into it. It measured at around
30". So you can see why I am confused. Is this lathe considered to have
24" or 36" between centers. He also stated it has a 40" bed, but I think
he is measuring with a tape measure and not quite sure where to measure

from
since I believe these only came in 42" and 54" beds. The lathe is mounted
on a 60" long table, with about 4 to 6 inches of exposed table (length).
So this leads me to believe the overall length of the lathe is around 54".
I am really confused now.

The only problem with the lathe (which he doesn't consider a problem) is
that the threads on the feedscrew right near the headstock are starting to
show a little wear. He said it should not affect anything, but wanted to
disclose every thing he noticed. Also, there is a bit of backlash on the
carriage. He said by slightly tightening the gibs he can eliminate that
problem. I priced a new leadscrew from sears, just in case it was

really
bad, and they want $543.33. Is there any other source or way to replace
this item if needed.

One last question, I want to put a quick change gearbox on it. Will this
adapt to this lathe since it did not originally come with it?

Thanks for the help. If it looks clean and everything works as stated, I
will be happy. He is letting it go for $600.00. I think it is a fair
price.

Keith Marshall

Try this page for info:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/index.html

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Terry G" wrote in message
[...]

Ken Cutt

Terry G wrote:
[...]

Howdy Terry

I have this same lathe . Remove the chuck and put in a center then
measure between this center and the one in the tailstock to get the 36
inches . Or close to it anyway . I have not checked out prices at Sears
but these lathes were made by Atlas and still supported to some extent by

http://www.clausing-industrial.com/index.htm

They are not cheap either . I only bought new half nuts from them and
these were pretty reasonable , shipped same day and they also sent some
useful info on parts and accesories available . Look on Ebay as well as
there is always a lot of parts listed there under Craftsman and Atlas
Just do a search

http://business.listings.ebay.com/Me...tingIt emList

Manuals can still be had and contain a lot of good info . I was lucky
and Dan Caster sent me a copy he had found but I think still available
from Clausing and Ebay . Check both as sometimes Ebay is not cheaper . I
do not have a QC gearbox , wish I did but in truth I don't change gears
very often unless threading . There are a lot of belt changes available
for reg turning to keep me happy . Also many vendors sell parts very
reasonable for these lathes so post on RCM and no doubt they will
respond . Some well respected names there that will help you out . There
is also a forum for these lathes but I can not seem to find the URL
right now . Maybe Marty E will help you out as he started it . In any
event keep reading / posting to RCM with any questions you have . Luck

Ken Cutt