Keith Young

Default Question / Bealle Buffing System

Hi

Newbie here!

When preparing an object for the Bealle system, should the fininish be
sanded to 200 or 400 grit before applying the bealle system. Reason for
asking is that I,m trying to eliminate as much sanding as possible.

Sincerely

Keith
Newfoundland
Canada

George Saridakis

Hi Keith,
Depends on the look you are trying to achieve. I still saw sanding swirls
that the Beall system would not remove at 320, 400, and 600 final grits, so
I now sand all work to 800 grit before applying finish and buffing.
George

"Keith Young" kyoung@no spam nl.rogers.com wrote in message
Hi

Newbie here!

When preparing an object for the Bealle system, should the fininish be
sanded to 200 or 400 grit before applying the bealle system. Reason for
asking is that I,m trying to eliminate as much sanding as possible.

Sincerely

Keith
Newfoundland
Canada

Derek Andrews

Keith Young wrote:
When preparing an object for the Bealle system, should the fininish be
sanded to 200 or 400 grit before applying the bealle system. Reason for
asking is that I,m trying to eliminate as much sanding as possible.

I have never heard of anyone sanding the finish before buffing. The
tripoli will take off any small blemishes in the finish, or at least in
danish oil. YMMV if you use something another finish. About the only
time I need to sand the finish is if I find some oil has leaked out of
an orifice somewhere, such as in a burl.

For the record, here is how I finish most of my decorative pieces:

Sand the wood to 400 or 800 according to nature of the grain.

Apply a generous coat of oil, leave for 30 minutes, wipe off excess,
leave to cure 24 hours.

Apply succesive coats as required to build a finish, according to
porosity of the wood.

Allow 36 hours minimum to cure before buffing.

Buff with tripoli until the piece looks and feels smooth all over. Check
that there are no areas that need more oil.

Buff with white diamond to polish.

I don't use the carnauba wax as I found it to be not very durable.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

George

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message
Keith Young wrote:
When preparing an object for the Bealle system, should the fininish be
sanded to 200 or 400 grit before applying the bealle system. Reason for
asking is that I,m trying to eliminate as much sanding as possible.

I have never heard of anyone sanding the finish before buffing. The
tripoli will take off any small blemishes in the finish, or at least in
danish oil. YMMV if you use something another finish. About the only
time I need to sand the finish is if I find some oil has leaked out of
an orifice somewhere, such as in a burl.

Difference between leveling and smoothing is why folks sand. The paper,
especially properly backed, will take out minor finish imperfections,
leaving a surface ready to be smoothed or polished.

Chuck

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 05:57:48 -0330, "Keith Young" kyoung@no spam
nl.rogers.com wrote:

When preparing an object for the Bealle system, should the fininish be
sanded to 200 or 400 grit before applying the bealle system.

Always sand Finns to 600 grit, with the Danes you can get away with
200 grit.

: )
--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Ray Sandusky

Keith

If you want to eliminate some sanding time, try getting your final cuts to
be as near perfect as possible and then start sanding at 180 grit. That is
what I do - start at 180, then 220, 320 and 400 - I get good results from
the Beale system this way.

Also, never use a Varnish - like Waterlox - under the Beale system - it will
make the finish look like crap - but it will look great at first then turn
just aweful after a bout 3 weeks - FWIW. A natural oil, like 100% Tung or
Boiled Linseed Oil works fine!

Ray

"Keith Young" kyoung@no spam nl.rogers.com wrote in message
Hi

Newbie here!

When preparing an object for the Bealle system, should the fininish be
sanded to 200 or 400 grit before applying the bealle system. Reason for
asking is that I,m trying to eliminate as much sanding as possible.

Sincerely

Keith
Newfoundland
Canada

Tom Puskar

I just got the Bealle system and was wondering how fast it should be turning
during use. Do most users adjust the speed based upon the wood species or
is it just done by trial and error and feel?

I got both the three wheels and bowl/goblet buffs.

Thanks

Tom Puskar

"Keith Young" kyoung@no spam nl.rogers.com wrote in message
Hi

Newbie here!

When preparing an object for the Bealle system, should the fininish be
sanded to 200 or 400 grit before applying the bealle system. Reason for
asking is that I,m trying to eliminate as much sanding as possible.

Sincerely

Keith
Newfoundland
Canada

Derek Andrews

Tom Puskar wrote:
I just got the Bealle system and was wondering how fast it should be turning
during use. Do most users adjust the speed based upon the wood species or
is it just done by trial and error and feel?

I got both the three wheels and bowl/goblet buffs.

The recommended speed for the standard buff is 1700 rpm. The important
thing is the it runs fast enough to make the wheels stiff. As they get
smaller through wear I think they should run faster than this, but I run
them on a standard motor without any real problem.

Can't speak for the goblet buff.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

Derek Hartzell

I use feel and I get the 8" wheels inside 5 and 6" bowls by spinning them
slower and then speeding them up once they're inside. They seem to work
better than my 3" buffs.

Derek

caster system question Chris Carruth Woodworking 5 March 9th 06 05:53 PM
basic plumbing question - identifying water system Josh UK diy 1 February 21st 05 09:02 PM
Sprinkler system question - clearing the lines of water Home Repair 1 October 14th 04 12:25 PM
A quick question. Ian UK diy 12 February 29th 04 10:34 AM
Central A/C cooling fine but humidity seems high D- Home Repair 6 July 3rd 03 08:40 PM