Chris Carruth

Default caster system question

In ShopNotes #50, it shows a leveraged caster system meant for mobile
cabinets. Casters are mounted to a pivoting wood crosspiece, which is
controlled with a sliding lever that comes through the side of the cabinet.
Pull it, press down, and slide over, and it moves wheels into contact with
ground, clearing corner posts.

I am thinking of using the same thing on a Shaker style work bench, but am
concerned about the weight. top is 1 3/4 thick scrap oak reinforced with
cleats, so fairly light compared to the massive tops on others. Cabinet will
be 3/4 oak plywood, with drawers. I assume total weight to be around 400
lbs.

Q: How can I figure out if the approach shown in ShopNotes will support my
bench? I have not engineering skills, no tables, etc. Hard to explain
without looking at the mag (ShopNotes #50, pg. 22). Anyone out there that
can figure this out? Thanks!

Chris Carruth

Advantage of this method is that the casters are out of sight. When you
lower the system, they are within the body of the cabinet. In addition,
there is not limits in terms of size (LxW).

"Slowhand" I'm@work wrote in message
[...]

igor

That back issue of Shopnotes is out. Do you know what the plan is called
so maybe I can buy it as a "plan" or could you reply with the verbatim
title? TIA. -- Igor

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:06:43 GMT, "Chris Carruth"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tuffy Nix

Table Saw Cabinet Kit 6850-150 $179.95

To place an order call: 1-800-347-5105, (keycode SN 50)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:04:27 GMT, "Chris Carruth"
wrote:

[...]

basic plumbing question - identifying water system Josh UK diy 1 February 21st 05 09:02 PM
Sprinkler system question - clearing the lines of water Home Repair 1 October 14th 04 12:25 PM
Delta method good enough to fail entire A/C system? ComboverFish Home Repair 13 August 3rd 04 11:30 PM
A quick question. Ian UK diy 12 February 29th 04 10:34 AM
Central A/C cooling fine but humidity seems high D- Home Repair 6 July 3rd 03 08:40 PM