Michael Lehmann

Default D'oh.....(I cant be on my own)

I have this log I got from a friend and chopped it up into bowl blamks. It
made insipid looking blanks.
I rough turned one today and it had spalting all through it and yellows and
such (not much grain but)
So I roughs it down and am starting to get become very pleased with the
results when the bowl falls off the chuck because I cut too far.
I should have taken more care, but...

I'm sure there are others guilty of similarly large acts of silliness?

um? d'oh

Mick

George

"Michael Lehmann" wrote in message
I have this log I got from a friend and chopped it up into bowl blamks. It
made insipid looking blanks.
I rough turned one today and it had spalting all through it and yellows

and
such (not much grain but)
So I roughs it down and am starting to get become very pleased with the
results when the bowl falls off the chuck because I cut too far.
I should have taken more care, but...

I'm sure there are others guilty of similarly large acts of silliness?

um? d'oh

OK, members of the worshipful order of funnelmakers, fess up!

Steven Raphael

Been There done that I have what is left of a walnut bowl on top of my
computer. It flew off of the chuck that I had it on and broke. so instead of
throwing the whole piece away I remounted it and turned it into a stand for
a purpleheart sphere. One of these days I will have to get a pic of it and
post on my site.
Steven Raphael
Ithaca MI
http://www.geocities.com/steven_raph...turnings1.html
"Michael Lehmann" wrote in message
I have this log I got from a friend and chopped it up into bowl blamks. It
made insipid looking blanks.
I rough turned one today and it had spalting all through it and yellows
and such (not much grain but)
So I roughs it down and am starting to get become very pleased with the
results when the bowl falls off the chuck because I cut too far.
I should have taken more care, but...

I'm sure there are others guilty of similarly large acts of silliness?

um? d'oh

Mick

Derek Andrews

George wrote:
"Michael Lehmann" wrote in message
So I roughs it down and am starting to get become very pleased with the
results when the bowl falls off the chuck because I cut too far.

OK, members of the worshipful order of funnelmakers, fess up!

...it happens.

I have a roughed out salad bowl in the workshop that is going to need
screw holes filling. I forgot it was on a faceplate rather than a chuck.
Looking on the bright side, I won't be able to sell it, so we will at
last be the proud owners of a wooden salad bowl

On another ocassion the base turned out tissue thin, so I filled the
dovetail recess with epoxy to reinforce it. Another keeper

If you go all the way through a base there are options, such as "Bowl
Reconstructed", mount it on a foot of other material, or cut the walls
up to make several shallow bowls.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

Darrell Feltmate

I think it is really cool when that last cut leaves the rim spinning around
the tool shaft and bouncing off the tool rest a bit. Not cool enough to do
it on purpose, but cool :-)

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Arch

Hi Derek, I bet you _can sell that 'exposed fastening art' bowl. Maybe
your sense of truth won't allow it and, of course, you can't sell it to
fellow turners. The gospel that bottoms and backs need to be more
beautiful than tops and sides is a long standing, but IMO questionable
verity that has been instilled in all of us. I refer to turned objects;
human anatomy is a private call.

I'm not advocating rough unfinished ugly bottoms. I do wonder tho, if
neatly exposed or corrected holding methods can be just as honest and
acceptable as compulsively decorated nether parts. Many successful
painters, silversmiths, potters, and furniture makers seem to think so.
Just a small dissenting voice that will neither be heard or agreed with.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

mac davis

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:12:44 +1000, "Michael Lehmann"
wrote:

I have this log I got from a friend and chopped it up into bowl blamks. It
made insipid looking blanks.
I rough turned one today and it had spalting all through it and yellows and
such (not much grain but)
So I roughs it down and am starting to get become very pleased with the
results when the bowl falls off the chuck because I cut too far.
I should have taken more care, but...

I'm sure there are others guilty of similarly large acts of silliness?

um? d'oh

Mick

not me.. never made a mistake like that.. *g*

TWICE this week, while feeding my addiction of Darrell's angel wing bowls, I
forgot that the chuck tenon wasn't cut on the lathe, but with a forstner...

The wife likes the thin one's I've been making, so TWICE on the last smoothing
cut I went deep enough to open the hole from the brad point on the forstner..
*sigh*

"experience is the ability to recognize your mistakes when you repeat them"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Derek Andrews

Arch wrote:
Hi Derek, I bet you _can sell that 'exposed fastening art' bowl. Maybe
your sense of truth won't allow it and, of course, you can't sell it to
fellow turners. The gospel that bottoms and backs need to be more
beautiful than tops and sides is a long standing, but IMO questionable
verity that has been instilled in all of us. I refer to turned objects;
human anatomy is a private call.

I'm not advocating rough unfinished ugly bottoms. I do wonder tho, if
neatly exposed or corrected holding methods can be just as honest and
acceptable as compulsively decorated nether parts. Many successful
painters, silversmiths, potters, and furniture makers seem to think so.
Just a small dissenting voice that will neither be heard or agreed with.

Arch,
I could sell it for sure, but I have set my own personal standards of
workmanship which I stick to. Bottoms are not necessarily turned
beautifully, just good enough to suit the job in hand. I am usually
satisfied with something that feels and looks ok, typically with the
dovetail chamfered in the opposite direction, the recess neatly turned
and sanded reasonably well but not necessarily so thoroughly as
elsewhere. Sometimes I need to add a recessed bead or other feature.
Either way, it's only a few minutes work, especially if I am set up to
do a bunch at a time. Other turners set their own standards, higher or
lower than mine, and that is fine.

In the case of screw holes in a salad bowl that is going to get used and
washed frequently, there is a functionality / durability issue. I will
keep this one as a test piece to see how well my fix to the problem
works. If successful I may let future screw ups go on the shelf,
possibly as a second. Hopefully though I have learnt my lesson

Arch wrote:
[...]

Alun Saunders

Arch wrote:

I'm not advocating rough unfinished ugly bottoms. I do wonder tho, if
neatly exposed or corrected holding methods can be just as honest and
acceptable as compulsively decorated nether parts. Many successful
painters, silversmiths, potters, and furniture makers seem to think so.
Just a small dissenting voice that will neither be heard or agreed with.

Au contraire, Arch, mon brave! I agree with you on this one ... the vast
majority of folks haven't a clue as to how we hold things on lathes, or
even what a lathe is for that matter, so I've no problem leaving a
nicely sanded and finished recess on my bowls, and neither, apparently,
do any of the folks who have bought my stuff.

--
Alun Saunders
robo hippy

On one occasion when I did this (ripped out the bottom when removing a
core) to a really nice piece of Madrone burl, I sanded in out and
finished it and gave it to a friend who made a lamp shade out of it for
an accent light, low watt and low heat bulb. It looked really nice.
robo hippy

wrote:

[...]

Lobby Dosser

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote:

I think it is really cool when that last cut leaves the rim spinning
around the tool shaft and bouncing off the tool rest a bit. Not cool
enough to do it on purpose, but cool :-)

Or when there is a strange noise and you find yourself staring into a black
hole where the bottom of the piece would be had you not turned clear
through to the chuck. Got a couple nice art objects that way. )

just testing

Michael Lehmann

. I forgot it was on a faceplate rather than a chuck.

My excuse was that the first chucking was a little light and prone to come
off, so I reversed it and made a tennon inside the groove.
reversed again and this time with the chuck further in. I couldn't see it
properly and there isn't enought time tto stop the lathe to check.

That excuse workeed for me until I remembered that I had done a very similar
thing a week ago.

mick

Michael Lehmann

"Barry N. Turner"
Uhhhhh..........I think some might call it "professional development". Is
this the first mistake you've ever made?

Unfortunately it was the proverbial straw and I needed some catharsis.
Hearings other's tales of stupidity will help me realise that these learning
experiences are most useful.
I notice there is a name for it.. funnel making, so it must be a common
occurrence.
But I still have some of the wood left. It should be very similar and I will
take more care next time.
Cheers
Mick

Lobby Dosser

"Barry N. Turner" wrote:

I believe those pieces are called "funnels". :-)

For a while, I thought they'd be my signature piece.

Kevin Miller

Michael Lehmann wrote:
I have this log I got from a friend and chopped it up into bowl blamks. It
made insipid looking blanks.
I rough turned one today and it had spalting all through it and yellows and
such (not much grain but)
So I roughs it down and am starting to get become very pleased with the
results when the bowl falls off the chuck because I cut too far.
I should have taken more care, but...

I'm sure there are others guilty of similarly large acts of silliness?

um? d'oh

Mick

Nope. You're the first that ever happened to. None of us have *ever*
done that.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it! g

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Harry B. Pye

I believe those pieces are called "funnels". :-)

Or napkin rings.

Darrell Feltmate

Harry said
I believe those pieces are called "funnels". :-)

Or napkin rings.

Not in my case Harry. On the other hand if anyone needs a table cloth ring a
back yard tent ring or a car tarpaulin ring or .....

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

william_b_noble

if you really like the piece, you can always glue another piece of wood to
the bottom, and return the bottom - I did this with a walnut bowl (about 18
inch diameter) and while it was visible, the bowl sold for $300 or so if I
remember right - contrasting wood could be a good idea also.
"Harry B. Pye" wrote in message
groups.com...
I believe those pieces are called "funnels". :-)

Or napkin rings.

Ken Moon

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I think it is really cool when that last cut leaves the rim spinning around
the tool shaft and bouncing off the tool rest a bit. Not cool enough to do
it on purpose, but cool :-)

=========================
Just one of the beauties of negative wall thickness!! {:-)

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Barry N. Turner

Since it seems that going through the bottom of a bowl always occurs on the
"last cut", I suggest that we simply stop making that final cut. Problem
solved! :-)

Barry

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2005.03.12.05.14.31.862870@notarealserver .com...
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:38:40 +1000, Michael Lehmann wrote:

I notice there is a name for it.. funnel making, so it must be a common
occurrence.

I call 'em cheese cutting boards. So far, I've only got one but it's a
lovely ash with beautiful grain.

I have never found the final 1/3 of the bowl sides so I'm not certain how
to make a funnel of it.

(Like a host of others, I got busted taking the proverbial "one more

cut".)

Bill

Bruce Ferguson

I had a teacher that said there are no mistakes in wood turning........only
design changes.
Bruce
"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:1110646848.a02de0c5566cfc8de5c24ebc6077c7dc@t eranews...
if you really like the piece, you can always glue another piece of wood to
the bottom, and return the bottom - I did this with a walnut bowl (about
18
inch diameter) and while it was visible, the bowl sold for $300 or so if I
remember right - contrasting wood could be a good idea also.
"Harry B. Pye" wrote in message
groups.com...
I believe those pieces are called "funnels". :-)

Or napkin rings.

Paul Griffiths

Michael Lehmann wrote:
I have this log I got from a friend and chopped it up into bowl blamks. It
made insipid looking blanks.
I rough turned one today and it had spalting all through it and yellows and
such (not much grain but)
So I roughs it down and am starting to get become very pleased with the
results when the bowl falls off the chuck because I cut too far.
I should have taken more care, but...

I'm sure there are others guilty of similarly large acts of silliness?

um? d'oh

Mick

Let's see, Mick. Watching the tool edge come through a goblet side
wall, forgetting to take into account how the hell I'm going to mount
the lid of a turned box to do the finial. Just 2 that come to mind
because they are both very recent (like today).

Paul.
Paul Griffiths

Anonymous wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:38:40 +1000, Michael Lehmann wrote:

I notice there is a name for it.. funnel making, so it must be a common
occurrence.

I call 'em cheese cutting boards. So far, I've only got one but it's a
lovely ash with beautiful grain.

I have never found the final 1/3 of the bowl sides so I'm not certain how
to make a funnel of it.

(Like a host of others, I got busted taking the proverbial "one more cut".)

Bill

Bill, is there any way that we can have the "one more cut" banned
forever? I must be responsible for more lathe related bad language than
just about anything else

Paul.
Derek Andrews

Paul Griffiths wrote:
Bill, is there any way that we can have the "one more cut" banned
forever?

It's often hard to judge when to call it quits and reach for the 80
grit That is just one more thing on the learning curve.

Of course there is a fine balance between getting the job done and
pushing one's limits a bit further as a skill building exercise. In some
cases the latter is best done on a practise piece that will end up as
shavings on the floor, thereby reducing the fear of failure and creating
a more relaxed learning environment.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

Derek Andrews

Paul Griffiths wrote:
....forgetting to take into account how the hell I'm going to mount
the lid of a turned box to do the finial.

When I started out I kept a note book to record how I did jobs, and what
worked and what didn't.

Even today I have a few products that I only make maybe once or twice a
year and for which the work sequence and mounting methods are too
convoluted for my ageing brain to recall in six months time. So I have a
sheet of instructions to remind me of the fine details and critical
measurements so that I can get straight on with the job and enjoying the
turning without any aggravation.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

Ken Moon

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message

SNIP .......
So I have a sheet of instructions to remind me of the fine details and
critical measurements so that I can get straight on with the job and
enjoying the turning without any aggravation.

=========================
Derek,
I bow to your mastery. So far I've only been able to enjoy the turning
with -- minimum -- aggravation. "Without ANY aggravation" is now my goal!
:-)

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Paul Griffiths

Yeh, but don't you find that you often look at the piece your working on
and think "one more pass over this curve/edge/face (whatever) and find
that its just gone too far. That's usually when the bad language starts
in my shed. But, regardless of this, still love turning and the odd
mistakes only add to the excitement.

Paul.
Paul Griffiths

Very good idea, Derek. Will deffinately look into it, but most of the
stuff I do is one-offs. I like to experiment and push my limits as much
as possible. Can be expensive on wood. (That's just given me an idea
for a sig).

Paul.
George

"Paul Griffiths" wrote in message
Very good idea, Derek. Will deffinately look into it, but most of the
stuff I do is one-offs. I like to experiment and push my limits as much
as possible. Can be expensive on wood. (That's just given me an idea
for a sig).

Do your experiments with firewood, then reach for that exotic.

Paul Griffiths

George wrote:
"Paul Griffiths" wrote in message

Very good idea, Derek. Will deffinately look into it, but most of the
stuff I do is one-offs. I like to experiment and push my limits as much
as possible. Can be expensive on wood. (That's just given me an idea
for a sig).

Do your experiments with firewood, then reach for that exotic.

Hey, how'd you know I used firewood. Yep have got some nice pieces that
were done from a firewood pile. Most of the wood I use is recycled
and fairly cheap so it's only the nuisance value of stuffing up a piece.
Have got some very good wood but saving for special and well planned
pieces.

Paul.

--
Stop wasting wood. Timber doesn't grow on trees you know!