Derek Andrews

Arch wrote:
Hi Derek, I bet you _can sell that 'exposed fastening art' bowl. Maybe
your sense of truth won't allow it and, of course, you can't sell it to
fellow turners. The gospel that bottoms and backs need to be more
beautiful than tops and sides is a long standing, but IMO questionable
verity that has been instilled in all of us. I refer to turned objects;
human anatomy is a private call.

I'm not advocating rough unfinished ugly bottoms. I do wonder tho, if
neatly exposed or corrected holding methods can be just as honest and
acceptable as compulsively decorated nether parts. Many successful
painters, silversmiths, potters, and furniture makers seem to think so.
Just a small dissenting voice that will neither be heard or agreed with.

Arch,
I could sell it for sure, but I have set my own personal standards of
workmanship which I stick to. Bottoms are not necessarily turned
beautifully, just good enough to suit the job in hand. I am usually
satisfied with something that feels and looks ok, typically with the
dovetail chamfered in the opposite direction, the recess neatly turned
and sanded reasonably well but not necessarily so thoroughly as
elsewhere. Sometimes I need to add a recessed bead or other feature.
Either way, it's only a few minutes work, especially if I am set up to
do a bunch at a time. Other turners set their own standards, higher or
lower than mine, and that is fine.

In the case of screw holes in a salad bowl that is going to get used and
washed frequently, there is a functionality / durability issue. I will
keep this one as a test piece to see how well my fix to the problem
works. If successful I may let future screw ups go on the shelf,
possibly as a second. Hopefully though I have learnt my lesson

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com