Doug Miller

In article , "George" george@least wrote:

They've already been published. Read the referenced "Sandpaper 101." That
some will not acknowledge it in no way alters reality.

"Reality" also includes the fact that "Sandpaper 101" does not in any fashion
substantiate your claim that worn 180 paper is approximately equivalent to new
240 paper.

[snip of analysis, assumptions, and conclusions -- but no actual research]

So, _I_ have done the research. I would say if you have not,you should, or
not attempt puerile challenges to one who has.

Uh-huh. You haven't yet done the _very_basic_ research which I challenged you
to do: produce test scratch patterns on a piece of plexiglass, where they will
be readily visible, from new 180, worn 180, and new 240.

--
Regards,

Will

George wrote:
So, _I_ have done the research. I would say if you have not,you should, or
not attempt puerile challenges to one who has.

I was fine up to this point. What is your point?

My apologies if I have offended you.

My point was that I am in the habit of going back to basic research when
a topic like this does come up. And looking for myself is not a problem.
:-) -- in case you thought it wasn't.

The reference books with material similar to what you quoted are on the
shelf above me.

Now I agree with you on all but one crucial point. What will be left
after some use. Will _all_ the pieces have fractured? -- or just most?
Unless all the pieces fracture you don't get a finer grade of sandpaper.

Only a look with a microscope would tell you the final answer. The test
with plexi glass might give you the answer as well.

Enough said. I should not have responded the first time.

lighten up.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Darrell Feltmate

Gosh folks, people can really get their knickers in a twist over sanding! It
seems to bring more ire than an assault on a favorite turning technique.
Lighten up folks. Get the best finish you can through fine cutting with a
honed edge, shear scraping, sanding through umpteen thousand or worn 36
grit, or prayer. Let us get back to friendly tuning. No ugly turners here
(ignoring my mirror for the moment) just friends we have not met.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Owen Lowe

In article 3wITd.3$LN5.2@edtnps90,
"Darrell Feltmate" wrote:

Gosh folks, people can really get their knickers in a twist over sanding!

Yeah, I don't sand. Just too many decisions and expenses involved:
powered or passive; wave-edge or round; soft backing or medium;
peel-n-stick or velcro; 80/100/120/150/180...; Sioux, Milwaulkie, Makita
angle drills, or maybe a flex-shaft on spare motor; Klingspor, Mirka, 3M.

(Akshulee, I'm a sander-neander. Practically all of my sanding, whether
on bowls, boxes or spindles, is done by hand-holding tri-folded strips
of Mirka sheet paper with finish sanding done with Mirka Abralon up to
2000 or 4000. I've had no problems sanding out ridges or minor tearout
in reasonably short times as long as I start with an appropriate grit -
boast onof which 100 is the coarsest I buy/boast off.)

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long