robo hippy

Default Wooden Sinks

I have had a number of people asking me about wood sinks at shows last
year, and I don't have a clue. Is this a new trend type of thing? I
don't know how it could be done and realistically expect the thing not
to rot out unless it is just ornamental. Do you make the bowl first,
then have in stabilized with the polymer infusion? Is there some
special finish? I am curious if anyone has any information about
this.It would be a fun project.
robo hippy

Maxprop

"robo hippy" wrote in message

I have had a number of people asking me about wood sinks at shows last
year, and I don't have a clue. Is this a new trend type of thing? I
don't know how it could be done and realistically expect the thing not
to rot out unless it is just ornamental. Do you make the bowl first,
then have in stabilized with the polymer infusion? Is there some
special finish? I am curious if anyone has any information about
this.It would be a fun project.

Has it escaped your notice that many boats have exterior wood--often
mahogany--which survives nicely in the elements for decades under a
protective, built-up coating of varnish? Or the ones that have unfinished
teak, or teak finished with any of a number of different finishes? Or old
Chris Craft runabouts with Port Orford cedar on the decks?

Max

Arch

Hi r.h. I saw some (IMO ridiculous) expensive "shabby chic" furniture
and accessories at an upscale London department store that you would be
embarrassed to put out for trash pickup. Included were wooden sinks,
really just square tubs lined with sheet metal. We ought to take the
opportunity to sell our cracks, catches and blow-ups before the fad
passes.

Max, I once owned a beautiful Honduras mahogany sloop, but the toredos
won. In these salty waters, we give thanks for mundane fiberglass and
forgo the beauty of wood. Wooden washtubs, barrels, troughs ...and
turned true bowls all hold water.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Maxprop

"Arch" wrote in message

Max, I once owned a beautiful Honduras mahogany sloop, but the toredos
won. In these salty waters, we give thanks for mundane fiberglass and
forgo the beauty of wood. Wooden washtubs, barrels, troughs ...and
turned true bowls all hold water.

Indeed, the worms will destroy that part of the hull that resides
underwater, unless one has the foresight (and finances) to clad the hull in
copper sheathing. I, too, appreciate fiberglass, aluminum, or steel, albeit
wood has a beauty and charm not attainable with the synthetic materials. My
time is too precious to squander it learning the fine art of Dutchman
repairs, plank speiling, and caulking.

Do you still have a boat?

Max

robo hippy

Maybe it is just me being skeptical, but with the continual cycle of
wet, dry, wet, dry, combined with 30 years of construction work, I
can't imagine being able to guarantee a wooden sink not to rot out
within 5 or so years. I have seen a couple of wood kitchen counter
tops, and they all had problems.
robo hippy

Arch wrote:
Hi r.h. I saw some (IMO ridiculous) expensive "shabby chic"

furniture
and accessories at an upscale London department store that you would

be
embarrassed to put out for trash pickup. Included were wooden sinks,
really just square tubs lined with sheet metal. We ought to take the
opportunity to sell our cracks, catches and blow-ups before the fad
passes.

Max, I once owned a beautiful Honduras mahogany sloop, but the

toredos
won. In these salty waters, we give thanks for mundane fiberglass and
forgo the beauty of wood. Wooden washtubs, barrels, troughs ...and
turned true bowls all hold water.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Darren

I just finished mine. I have a friend that is interior design and she said
they are becoming quite popular for high end clients (can sell for several
thousand dollars).

Mine was 16" wide by 6" in height made of walnut and maple.

I used a marine epoxy that is used for boats. www.systemthree.com. It is
working just fine now - I guess the true answer will be if it is working
fine in several years.

If you have any questions - let me know.

Darren

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

"robo hippy" wrote in message

I have had a number of people asking me about wood sinks at shows last
year, and I don't have a clue. Is this a new trend type of thing? I
don't know how it could be done and realistically expect the thing not
to rot out unless it is just ornamental. Do you make the bowl first,
then have in stabilized with the polymer infusion? Is there some
special finish? I am curious if anyone has any information about
this.It would be a fun project.

Has it escaped your notice that many boats have exterior wood--often
mahogany--which survives nicely in the elements for decades under a
protective, built-up coating of varnish? Or the ones that have unfinished
teak, or teak finished with any of a number of different finishes? Or old
Chris Craft runabouts with Port Orford cedar on the decks?

Max

Maxprop

"robo hippy" wrote in message

Maybe it is just me being skeptical, but with the continual cycle of
wet, dry, wet, dry, combined with 30 years of construction work, I
can't imagine being able to guarantee a wooden sink not to rot out
within 5 or so years. I have seen a couple of wood kitchen counter
tops, and they all had problems.

That is probably a function of poor, or no, maintenance, rather than simply
wood construction. Boats suffer rot of exposed wood, too, when the owners
either refuse to care for the wood, or simply don't care. A friend has a
wooden sink/vanity top (cherry, I believe) in his half bath that has been
there since I've known him--about 20 years. When we first met, the sink was
looking a bit rough, so I showed him how to maintain it with urethane
varnish. Since then it has remained beautiful and free from rot.

Max