Keith Young

Default Best Lite for Turning

What would most of you consider has the best source light for illuminating a
woodturning shed

Keith

Reyd

In article ,
"Keith Young" wrote:

What would most of you consider has the best source light for illuminating a
woodturning shed

Keith

I'd say halogen spotlights, 2 or three on positionable stands(so you can
set them to exactly how you want them around a frew machines at once)
try to stay away from the fluorescent ones except for a fill light, that
is one to create light in general, they are a PITA as far as I'm
concerned if you are turning anything that has voids or is square.
and very damnbly hard to find stuff you drop if your eyes aren't 100%.
the Nickle metal ones(not sure as to exactly the type, the ones that all
the indoor "plant" growers use for best growth) are great, but they take
a while to turn on, and are kinda expensive.

YMMV of course

--

Maybe I'm just a pessimist and am totally wrong; I could live quite
happily with that.
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Keith

Skylight, yes that's the best, ( in the day time only )G.
I have and I think it's best to have, fluorescence plus incandescent
lamps/bulbs.

I have several (5) 4 foot fluorescence fixtures, couple halogen
spotlights and a double jointed desk light that can be (and is) moved
around for the best position.
You have never enough light it seems, my best friend who is a retired
industrial electrician, scolded me for not buying High Output (HO)
fluorescent lights, he said they give a lot more light and the lamps
last a lot longer, they apparently don't give you the strobing effect
either ( I think they are also more expensive ) maybe next time I will
get one or two.

You should keep the light that you can get from your window also in mind
when placing your lathe, if you are able to have the window light from
the tailstock end it should be very useful and not interfere with your
vision I would think.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Keith Young wrote:
What would most of you consider has the best source light for illuminating a
woodturning shed

Keith

robo hippy

Keith,
I use 2 of the 'Stay-put work lamps. They have magnetic bases, 24 inch
bendable arms, and can take 100 watt bulbs. I put one on the headstock,
and one on the banjo. They will get light anywhere I need it. They are
available from both Craft Supplies, and Packard at about $60. I tried
the halogen lights, and the heat made me nervous. The basic elbow lamp
is too flimsy, and shouldn't have more than a 60 watt bulb.
robo hippy

Keith Young wrote:
What would most of you consider has the best source light for

illuminating a
woodturning shed

Keith

robo hippy

Keith,
I use two of the magnetic base with flexable 24 inch arm Stay Put work
lamps. One goes on the headstock, and the other on the banjo. Get
'rough duty' or shock resistant bulbs. These will take 100 watt bulbs.
Craft Supplies and Packard both carry these lamps. They don't mount
horizontally,only vertically. They aren't cheap, but get the light
anywhere I want. I tried the halogen lights, but didn't like all of the
heat they put out. The basic elbow light is too flimsy, and isn't safe
with any more than 60 watt bulbs.
robo hippy

VRadin wrote:
In article ,
says...
What would most of you consider has the best source light for

illuminating a
woodturning shed

Keith

I use track lights with a variety of different bulbs for shop areas-
over the lathe there are 2 tracks with floods and spots for overall
light. General area has tracks with screw-base flourescents gives a
softer non-focused light, and saves a few $$$ over regular bulbs. I

also
have a clamp-on with a daylight flood for spot illumination directed

at
the turning.

Costs a little more than the 4' tubes, but directs the light where I
need/want it, and is easy to swap rack cans to different shop areas

for
when I'm doing other work.
--
Happy Turning,
Vic

robo hippy

Keith,
I use 2 of the "Stay Put Work Lamps" I believe both Packard and Craft
supplies carry them. They have magnetic bases, and a 24 inch bendable
arm. One goes on the headstock, and the other on the banjo. With the
long arms, I can get light anywhere I need. They also will take 100
watt bulbs. Be sure to use rough duty or shock resistant bulbs. The
regular bulbs last about 2 weeks. I tried the halogen lights, but
didn't like the heat they put off. The regular elbow lamps
are too flimsy, and aren't safe for more than 60 watt bulbs.
robo hippy

George

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message
Hi Keith

Skylight, yes that's the best, ( in the day time only )G.
I have and I think it's best to have, fluorescence plus incandescent
lamps/bulbs.

With the cost of skylights, I imagine you'll want to pass in favor of some
fluorescent general lighting to simulate skylights. Unless you heat the
place in the cool weather, you'll want the more expensive types that won't
be as affected by the cold. If you intend to turn in summer, pass on the
big halogens, too. My task lights are the desk lamp articulated variety,
mounted off the lathe for vibration isolation. I have one at the head and
one at the tail, thereby covering outside and in. Don't rely on the
reflectors to give you much help, use the floods with built-in reflectors
and you'll get better light.

Phisherman

I found that an inexpensive incandescent drafting lamp, mounted on the
wall, adjusts exactly where light is needed. I have overhead
fluorescent lighting for general lighting of the shop, but task
lighting from the drafting lamps is very good. I also have a lamp
near my chop saw, drill press, and router table. The lamps have
enough swing that they can service two machines that are close to each
other.

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Keith Young" wrote:

What would most of you consider has the best source light for illuminating a
woodturning shed

When cleaning up tonight with the dust collector hose I recalled a
discovery I made a couple summers back:

Seems that a 4" quick disconnect dust hose fitting fits perfectly onto
the back of the Moffat task lights! Place the light close to the turning
to better see your sanding progress and collect the dust at the same
time. I never noticed anything bad happening with the light and it might
have even been a benefit as it kept it much cooler and cleaner.

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Ray Sandusky

Keith

I bought a set of high intensity flexible light fixtures from Gary Sanders
in TX.

This set up is completely adjustable and has its own outlet built in. The
lights can go up, down, left right and also be flexed and moved to exactly
where you need them. I think the website is www.woodlatheaccessories.com or
something like that - I know he calls the company wood lathe accessories.
Check it out you can not get much better than these lights

Ray Sandusky
Brentwood, TN

"Keith Young" wrote in message
What would most of you consider has the best source light for illuminating
a woodturning shed

Keith

Ray Sandusky

Here is the link for the light system

http://www.turningwood.com/light_stand.htm

Ray

robo hippy

Those are the same lights I was talking about. Thought my posts didn't
get through, and kept trying. I'll learn this computer thing eventually
robo hippy

tripp lite pr-7b wholf09 Electronics 1 January 15th 05 11:35 PM
Which shower base - "tuff lite", cast stone or ?? Dave UK diy 4 December 10th 04 03:34 PM
JVC 32" TV timer lite blinks TA7205 Electronics Repair 4 October 29th 04 05:44 PM
lite relief, beer and jet engines! John Rumm UK diy 0 August 18th 04 11:57 PM