Dan Klima

Default Anchorseal Removal

Hello all!

I obtained a couple of nice maple burl pieces a while back that were
"dunked" in Anchorseal. Its really thick all over. There are pieces that I
would like to keep the natural edge on, but I'm not sure how best to remove
the Anchorseal from that part of the burl without damaging it. Are there
any solvents that could be used or am I destined to trying to pick it out
with dental tools?

Any help is appreciated.

Dan Klima

George

"Dan Klima" wrote in message
Hello all!

I obtained a couple of nice maple burl pieces a while back that were
"dunked" in Anchorseal. Its really thick all over. There are pieces that

would like to keep the natural edge on, but I'm not sure how best to

remove
the Anchorseal from that part of the burl without damaging it. Are there
any solvents that could be used or am I destined to trying to pick it out
with dental tools?

Non-polar solvents like naphtha/mineral spirits will dissolve it, though
where it's thick, you might be required to do a bit of stiff brushing to
help it into solution. I'd turn it first then soak in solvent to make sure
what I spent carried away the most important wax.

Chuck

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 22:26:42 -0600, "Dan Klima"
wrote:

Hello all!

I obtained a couple of nice maple burl pieces a while back that were
"dunked" in Anchorseal. Its really thick all over. There are pieces that I
would like to keep the natural edge on, but I'm not sure how best to remove
the Anchorseal from that part of the burl without damaging it. Are there
any solvents that could be used or am I destined to trying to pick it out
with dental tools?

Dan,

Are you sure it's Anchorseal? Usually when you get wood that has a
really thick coating on it like that, it's just plain old paraffin
wax. My wood guy gets all his exotics in like that and has to re-coat
them with Anchorseal because wherever the wax gets scraped off the
wood will check. If it's just paraffin, you might be able to remove
it with naptha, or the PRUDENT application of heat, from an indirect
source, like a Quartz Halogen lightbulb, hair dryer or heat gun. You
won't get it all, because some will penetrate the wood when it melts,
but it will be better than the thick layer.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Dan Klima

Chuck,

No, I'm pretty sure its Anchorseal. It is not clear and when scraped it
does not create white shavings. It is rather murky and somewhat sticky when
touched. But thanks for the input on removing paraffin wax - that was going
to be another question as that's what is on another piece of wood that has a
natural edge.

Thanks!
Dan Klima

wrote:

[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000

Newsgroups

Dan Klima

Thanks, all, for the input! That will give me a few things to try.

Thanks again,
Dan Klima

Ralph J. Ramirez

You should be able to power wash that stuff off if you have, or have access
to, a high pressure washer. Where I buy my burl caps that is what they use
to blast everything off the burl, bark, dirt, rocks, etc, leaving a nice
clean burl without damaging the natural edges.........Ralph