Default Bandsaw Horsepower for Turning

Currently, I have a 14" Rockwell with 6" resaw and 1/2 hp motor. The
resaw is too small for my 16" swing lathe so I am considering adding
the riser kit and more horsepower. I have also considered a Euro
bandsaw with 16" resaw and 5hp. This may be more bandsaw than I need
since I have a good chainsaw with 24" bar.

How much horsepower does my 14" bandsaw (12" resaw) need for preparing
bowl blanks from green logs? Would I need more horsepower if I wanted
to resaw dry lumber for cabinet doors?

Thanks,
Bob Stroman

Leif Thorvaldson

If you have the money, the go for the Euro. I bought a 14" Reliant (HF
Special) a few years ago and was unhappy with it. It had a one horse motor,
but it wouldn't cut worth a damn! Had lots of advice on it and finally
talking over blades for with a Suffolk Machinery expert, he walked me
through replacement of the jack pulley and changing pulley sizes on the
motor. He said the problem was that the jack pulley was robbing speed from
the blade. After the change, including adding a lifter block to it, the
Bandsaw cuts like going through butter on green or dry resaws and cutting
round blanks for the lathe from fresh or dry logs. He recommended a surface
feet per minute speed of at least 2000 and a little over that is what I am
getting. SFPM and a sharp blade takes care of most problems IMNSHO!*G*

Leif
wrote in message
ups.com...
Currently, I have a 14" Rockwell with 6" resaw and 1/2 hp motor. The
resaw is too small for my 16" swing lathe so I am considering adding
the riser kit and more horsepower. I have also considered a Euro
bandsaw with 16" resaw and 5hp. This may be more bandsaw than I need
since I have a good chainsaw with 24" bar.

How much horsepower does my 14" bandsaw (12" resaw) need for preparing
bowl blanks from green logs? Would I need more horsepower if I wanted
to resaw dry lumber for cabinet doors?

Thanks,
Bob Stroman

robo hippy

Bob,
I sounds like you are considering the same bandsaw that I just
ordered, a Laguna, For occasional use, a smaller bandsaw with a riser
block will work, but for everyday use get a saw that is designed for
the job. I did concrete work for 30 years and like things over built.
It is just plain safer. The bigger saw will last longer, and perform
better. I have used my 24 inch chainsaw for years and it has worked
just fine, but after cutting out some sycamore blanks last night, for
smaller bowls, I can see where a big bandsaw would come in handy. I can
let you know after I get to use it for a while.
robo hippy

Dan Bollinger

Lagunas are good machines.

"robo hippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Bob,
I sounds like you are considering the same bandsaw that I just
ordered, a Laguna,

Dan Bollinger

As the thickness of the wood increases, you must also increase the blade
width and HP, while decreasing the blade pitch (teeth per inch) and speed.

For your 14" with riser, as a rough guess, use at least 3/4 Hp motor, but
with a motor pulley 2/3 the diameter of the original.

Currently, I have a 14" Rockwell with 6" resaw and 1/2 hp motor. The
resaw is too small for my 16" swing lathe so I am considering adding
the riser kit and more horsepower. I have also considered a Euro
bandsaw with 16" resaw and 5hp. This may be more bandsaw than I need
since I have a good chainsaw with 24" bar.

How much horsepower does my 14" bandsaw (12" resaw) need for preparing
bowl blanks from green logs? Would I need more horsepower if I wanted
to resaw dry lumber for cabinet doors?

Thanks,
Bob Stroman

Ted

My lathe (Nova DVR 3000) has a 16 inch swing. I have a Jet 710115K -
14inch band saw with a 6 inch riser block (makes it a 12 inch high
cut). The motor on the band saw has 1.25 HP. I mostly use 3/8th inch
hook tooth blades. I have cut 14 + inch circles in 8 inch thick white
oak half logs. Sometimes on real big stuff it can stall out but a lot
of the time for that I will use a chain saw instead.

Ted