Nasty

Default Suggestions

Hi Guys and Girls,

I am about to take the plung back into turning and am seriouslly shopping
for a lathe. I really like the looks of the Nova DVr 3000 but not sure
about the price. I have looked at grizzly's web site and several others.
My question is are there lathes that compare with the dvr that are cheaper
or are there alternatives to the dvr . I like the electronic speed control
and the dvr just looks well built. Any web sites that do comparisons of the
best. I can buy the dvr just want to know I'm getting the most for my cash.

Thanks Jim

Art Ransom

DON'T BUY ANYTHING!!!!!! Go to http://www.woodturner.org/ and locate a club
near you and contact them.. If it is not near they can put you in contact
with a local turner. After some experience then you will have a better idea
of the tools you need.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org
"Nasty" wrote in message
Hi Guys and Girls,

I am about to take the plung back into turning and am seriouslly shopping
for a lathe. I really like the looks of the Nova DVr 3000 but not sure
about the price. I have looked at grizzly's web site and several others.
My question is are there lathes that compare with the dvr that are cheaper
or are there alternatives to the dvr . I like the electronic speed
control and the dvr just looks well built. Any web sites that do
comparisons of the best. I can buy the dvr just want to know I'm getting
the most for my cash.

Thanks Jim

Arch

Hi Jim, Welcome back. You are in a nice position. No Lathe to get rid of
and the means to buy a new one. It's good to get informed opinions,
study catalogs and manufacturer's sites, but don't spoil your
opportunity by paying too much attention.
The proof of the pudding is in the tasting thereof and IMHO the best way
to buy a lathe that suits _you_ is by taking time to actually see & try
several. Don't rush to judgement and buy a lathe that suits someone
else.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Barry N. Turner

You might want to look at the Jet 1642. Like the DVR, it has electronic
speed control and comes in 1 1/2 and 2 HP versions. Price is comparable to
the DVR. It lots of cast iron and has a sliding headstock.

Barry

"Nasty" wrote in message
Hi Guys and Girls,

I am about to take the plung back into turning and am seriouslly shopping
for a lathe. I really like the looks of the Nova DVr 3000 but not sure
about the price. I have looked at grizzly's web site and several others.
My question is are there lathes that compare with the dvr that are cheaper
or are there alternatives to the dvr . I like the electronic speed

control
and the dvr just looks well built. Any web sites that do comparisons of

the
best. I can buy the dvr just want to know I'm getting the most for my

cash.

Thanks Jim

mac davis

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 10:40:40 -0600, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

A lot of good info on the 1642 he
http://tinyurl.com/6olk2

"Nasty" wrote in message
Hi Guys and Girls,

I am about to take the plung back into turning and am seriouslly shopping
for a lathe. I really like the looks of the Nova DVr 3000 but not sure
about the price. I have looked at grizzly's web site and several others.
My question is are there lathes that compare with the dvr that are cheaper
or are there alternatives to the dvr . I like the electronic speed

control
and the dvr just looks well built. Any web sites that do comparisons of

the
best. I can buy the dvr just want to know I'm getting the most for my

cash.

Thanks Jim

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

I bought a Grizzly lathe, and it works fine, but it took a lot of fine
tuning to get it that way. Even had to send the motor back to them so
they could fix a pulley. So much trouble that I avoid Grizzly tools
now, even though they are cheaper than other brands. You might get one
that works fine, who knows. But if you go with them, be prepared for
some time fiddling around with stuff you probably didn't expect to have
to deal with.

Barry N. Turner

A few years ago, a friend of mine with a cabinet shop bought a 3 HP Grizzly
shaper. He said he loved the saw, but hated having to replace every single
adjusting bolt and screw on the fence assembly. He said the original
equipment bolts and screws were very soft and the threads deformed and
stripped very easily. One bolt even broke, I believe. Other than that
annoyance, he got good service from the machine. He finally bought another
shaper and a cabinet saw from Grizzly.

Barry

oups.com...