George Saridakis

Default adhesive for replacement velcro on sanding pads

Hi Folks,

I have been experimenting with gluing Velcro on those replaceable sanding pads (I use many as I turn professionally), and although Liquid Nails did fasten the replacement Velcro, it stiffened the pad and changed it's sanding characteristics.

Any suggestions?

thanks
George

mac davis

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 07:15:49 -0500, "George Saridakis"
wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have been experimenting with gluing Velcro on those replaceable sanding pads (I use many as I turn professionally), and although Liquid Nails did fasten the replacement Velcro, it stiffened the pad and changed it's sanding characteristics.

Any suggestions?

thanks
George

I use 3M spray, in the "removable" method, on 9 & 12" disk sanders,
haven't tried it on small ones yet..

Personally, I think good ol' rubber cement worked better...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
George

The 3M Super 7 aerosol has done well for me. Cleaning the surface properly
before use makes a difference. Lighter fluid -Naphtha - works on the goo
and not on the rubber.

oups.com...

George Saridakis wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have been experimenting with gluing Velcro on those replaceable

sanding pads (I use many as I turn professionally), and although Liquid
Nails did fasten the replacement Velcro, it stiffened the pad and
changed it's sanding characteristics.

Any suggestions?

thanks
George

Darrell Feltmate

George
I have been using simple hot glue without any problems. Try looking at
http://aroundthewoods.com/sander.shtml

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
M.J. Orr

I have tried several products in the past to solve this problem. None of them worked satisfactorily!!. I have found a product that is perfect though. It is called Shoe Goo and is for repairing shoes and boots. I tried it on my sanding mandrel and it works great.......!!! It doesn't get hard or brittle but still holds like steel. If you can't find it locally their web site is www.shoegoo.com . Declaration: I have not been given free samples to test so as to provide a positive review of this item...............:-)

--

M.J. Orr
http://www.island.net/~morr

"George Saridakis" wrote in message ...
Hi Folks,

I have been experimenting with gluing Velcro on those replaceable sanding pads (I use many as I turn professionally), and although Liquid Nails did fasten the replacement Velcro, it stiffened the pad and changed it's sanding characteristics.

Any suggestions?

thanks
George

George

Tried it, left lumps. Went back the other way.

Could be the type of hot glue.

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
George
I have been using simple hot glue without any problems. Try looking at
http://aroundthewoods.com/sander.shtml

Steve Worcester

Tim Skilton, the manufacturer of one of those pads, recommends contact
cement.
I have used several different types of glues and found that most will
give good lumps, noticeably stiffen, or be too brittle.
Contact cement is the best compromise of all of them. Standard Home
Depot/Welbond works great. If it is coming apart from heat, you are
using way too much pressure/speed.
Steve Worcester
www.turningwood.com

George Saridakis wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have been experimenting with gluing Velcro on those replaceable
sanding pads (I use many as I turn professionally), and although
Liquid Nails did fasten the replacement Velcro, it stiffened the

pad
and changed it's sanding characteristics.

Any suggestions?

thanks
George

Ron Williams

I had a disk spin off the pad yesterday in the midst of a big project, and the contact scrubbed the hooks on the pad so effectively, nothing stuck. I reached for he first handy adhesive - gap filling CA - and a bit of hook-and-loop I had laying about. Its been holding fine, as have several pads I glued that way over the years. I just glued the new stuff right over the old material. Stiffer? Not that I can tell.

Worked for me... Your experience may differ.

Ron Williams
Minn-Dak Woodturners
Moorhead, MN
"George Saridakis" wrote in message ...
Hi Folks,

I have been experimenting with gluing Velcro on those replaceable sanding pads (I use many as I turn professionally), and although Liquid Nails did fasten the replacement Velcro, it stiffened the pad and changed it's sanding characteristics.

Any suggestions?

thanks
George

mac davis

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:34:06 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

George
I have been using simple hot glue without any problems. Try looking at
http://aroundthewoods.com/sander.shtml

Darrell.. wouldn't the heat from sanding loosen/remelt the hot glue??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Darrell Feltmate

Darrell.. wouldn't the heat from sanding loosen/remelt the hot glue??

Mac
I would have thought so but it has not for the last four or five years, may
be it won't?

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

mac davis

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:15:45 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Darrell.. wouldn't the heat from sanding loosen/remelt the hot glue??

Mac
I would have thought so but it has not for the last four or five years, may
be it won't?

actually, Darrell, I'm surprised that you NEED to sand... *g*

You probably have a light touch on what sanding you have to do, and
don't build up much heat..

I'd have to use a bulldozer or plow first on mine.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Darrell Feltmate

Mac
With some of the woods I use I may start sanding at 180 or as low as 40. In
fact for some of the really spalted stuff, the last "cuts" are likely 40
grit. It is a pleasure to take a shear scraper to a piece of really nice dry
maple and have a surface that only requires a bit of 120 or 180 before
settling down to the fine grits, but it seldom happens. Cross grain is
likely to pull or tear and who knows what burl will do? Ken Bullock
habitually starts to sharpen with 40 or 60 grit and he has turned and sanded
thousands of bowls. I guess my philosophy of sanding is to sand with as
coarse a paper as needed to get the job done as quickly and efficiently as
possible. Then I get to turn the next one :-)

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Sanding questions. sandman Woodworking 8 December 16th 04 03:56 AM
replacing velcro on sandingin pads william kossack Woodturning 13 September 25th 04 11:44 PM