william kossack

Default replacing velcro on sandingin pads

Over time the velcro part of my sanding pads has become worn and the
sanding disks nolonger stick effectively.

What do others do? Replace the pads? This seems a waste but finding
replacement velcro can be interesting. I would like to find the hook
part without sticky backing on it. Places I've looked don't stock
velcro as wide as 3 inches and often not as wide as 2 inches.

Packard sells pre cut replacement velcro at several dollars a piece for
2 inch.

Has anyone found a cheeper source or solution?
Leo Lichtman

"william kossack" wrote: (clip)Has anyone found a cheeper source or
solution?
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a roll of 1" Velcro, so I lay down parallel strips to cover the disk.
Works fine for me.

Bruce Ferguson

If your wife sews, ask her to look in the notions section. my wife got me
some 2" and I used 1/2 of it. It came with sticky back or cloth to be sewed
you could use hot melt or glue that you like.

Bruce

"william kossack" wrote in message
Over time the velcro part of my sanding pads has become worn and the
sanding disks nolonger stick effectively.

What do others do? Replace the pads? This seems a waste but finding
replacement velcro can be interesting. I would like to find the hook part
without sticky backing on it. Places I've looked don't stock velcro as
wide as 3 inches and often not as wide as 2 inches.

Packard sells pre cut replacement velcro at several dollars a piece for 2
inch.

Has anyone found a cheeper source or solution?

Jamrelliot

Lowes has 2" sticky back disc.

Jim
Peter Teubel

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:30:56 GMT, william kossack wrote:

Over time the velcro part of my sanding pads has become worn and the
sanding disks nolonger stick effectively.

I buy rolls of "industrial velcro" at Home Depot (or Lowes) in 2" wide strips. While they are self-adhesive, I find that they
don't stick very long. I simply remove the adhesive with "Goof-Off" (available at any auto parts store) nad glue them to the pad
with 3M Emblem Adhesive (also available at auto supply stores). Sticks like a weld.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

Darrell Feltmate

Bill
Use a 2" strip down the center. Regular 2" velcro from the fabric store is
fine and can be held on with hot glue or silicone.
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sanding.shtml

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Ted

Do you put the new velcro right over the old or should you cut the old
velcro off first? I tried cutting it off once and it just wasn't even
enough to reuse.

(Jamrelliot) wrote in message ...
Lowes has 2" sticky back disc.

Jim

william kossack

thanks

I queried my wife and she pointed me to something she had made and sure
enough she had used 2 inch velcro strips

Does anyone have a solution for replacing the foam?

william kossack wrote:
Over time the velcro part of my sanding pads has become worn and the
sanding disks nolonger stick effectively.

What do others do? Replace the pads? This seems a waste but finding
replacement velcro can be interesting. I would like to find the hook
part without sticky backing on it. Places I've looked don't stock
velcro as wide as 3 inches and often not as wide as 2 inches.

Packard sells pre cut replacement velcro at several dollars a piece for
2 inch.

Has anyone found a cheeper source or solution?

Jamrelliot

I've been making my own out of hard plastic and foam pads. They're not as good
as the store bought, but sooo inexpensive to make. Buy the mandrills from
Harbor Fright, also cheap.

Jim

Derek Hartzell

Read Darrell's page. I make up my own pads out of a Walmart sleeping pad
and 2" velcro. I use them for Wave sanding discs. They are the perfect
stiffness, between the hard white wave pad and the ultra soft grey. Hot
glue works great.

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
Bill
Use a 2" strip down the center. Regular 2" velcro from the fabric store is
fine and can be held on with hot glue or silicone.
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sanding.shtml

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

WynnD

Klingspor has the backing in 12" squares. They used to carry the plain
back but I think most is now sticky back.