STEFANEE STIEN

Default Black Wattle.

I have recently acquired some green Black Wattle logs and cant find much
information about it on the web. Does anyone have much experience with this
wood? Its was cut down in a rainforest and had been sitting there a few
months. As such its still quite green.
I'd like to wait until its dry before turning it but patience is not one of
my vitues.
It looks like it will be pretty.

Ray Sandusky

If you wait until it dries, you may not have anything to turn. Most timbers
crack if not processed to some degree! at least split the logs to relieve
some of the radial tension

Ray

"STEFANEE STIEN" wrote in message
I have recently acquired some green Black Wattle logs and cant find much
information about it on the web. Does anyone have much experience with
this
wood? Its was cut down in a rainforest and had been sitting there a few
months. As such its still quite green.
I'd like to wait until its dry before turning it but patience is not one
of
my vitues.
It looks like it will be pretty.

STEFANEE STIEN

at least split the logs to relieve
some of the radial tension

Ray

What about cutting them into 5 inch long slices? And maybe turing green?

>.

STEFANEE Please take extra precaution when turning ANY Wattle or Acacia as
the wood contains toxins.
See my post to Copernicus Skygaze
"STEFANEE STIEN" wrote in message
I have recently acquired some green Black Wattle logs and cant find much
information about it on the web. Does anyone have much experience with
this
wood? Its was cut down in a rainforest and had been sitting there a few
months. As such its still quite green.
I'd like to wait until its dry before turning it but patience is not one
of
my vitues.
It looks like it will be pretty.

Barry N. Turner

Five (5") long? You can, but that won't do anything to relieve the radial
stresses. I don't know what diameters you have, but what about splitting
the logs into halves or quarters? That would help to relieve radial stress
and assist drying.

Barry

"STEFANEE STIEN" wrote in message

at least split the logs to relieve
some of the radial tension

Ray

What about cutting them into 5 inch long slices? And maybe turing green?

Spyda Man

Aloha Stefanee, Here on Maui we have whole forest of Black Wattle as
well as dozens of Eucalyptus varieties, you'd probably feel at home
here. Though Black Wattle does have some pretty grain I have found the
wood to be very unstable with alot of movement, shrinkage, and warping.
After alot of trial and error I have pretty much given up on wattle as a
turning wood though it's great as firewood. It grows like crazy up here
like a giant weed. Some genius back in the 1950s thought it would be
great for reforrestation. A vacant lot next to my home used to look
like a soccer field flat, and covered with grass but after lot was sold
new owners totally neglected it and withn acouple years it has become
forested with dense Black Wattle growth. It's the bain of alot of
property owners here.

Spy in Hawaii

Michael Lehmann

Though Black Wattle does have some pretty grain I have found the wood to

be very unstable with alot of movement, shrinkage, and warping.

If my bowls crack and warp, at least I will have some acquired some skill in
making them. (Only been turning about 4 weeks) I was told by an old builder
that it made nice bowls, maybe only if you can stop it from cracking?

ps
Aloha Stefanee

Stefanee Stien is my wife and for some reason her name was on the newsgroup
account.

Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts? CWLee Metalworking 57 August 10th 17 01:09 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Help. Black Mold & New floor question Bill Home Repair 5 June 2nd 04 09:50 PM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Electronics Repair 17 May 27th 04 12:45 PM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Home Repair 16 May 27th 04 12:45 PM