Bill

Default Help. Black Mold & New floor question

Hello,

I have basic question about black mold I seem to have in my family room.
All comments appreciated.

My family room is on a slab. There is padding, old shag carpet, and PERGO
installed OVER the carpet. Of course, this not so good. The Pergo is
chipping, and seperating, and is just bad.

We pulled up 1 pergo panel by the threshold and the carpet has a little
black mold on it. I can assume maybe I have black mold everwhere under the
PERGO, although I could be wrong.

Anyway, I am having EVERYTHING ripped up, removed, and a an underlayment and
real hardwood floor applied to the concrete slab.

Although the floor installer will remove everything, he can't be responsible
for the "elimination" of the black mold. He did agree to wait 1 hour
inbetween removal and installation, so I may mop the cement with bleach or
some other solution. Then he'll lay the flooring.

Here's my question.... Once I have a bare cement floor, what solution would
I use to eliminate any black mold that may still be there? Pure Bleech?
50/50 with water? Or some special cleaner?

Thanks in advance.
Bill

m Ransley

Use pure bleach but some will say dilute it, remember its already
diluted up to 98% with water. What kind of vapor barrier will you use.
Best would be oil paint then plastic, one large sheet, no seams to come
undone, best would be tear out and after the bleach and paint are dry to
put in the new floor.

EL

Bill,

As another posted stated, bleach as the way to go. But I see another problem: 1 hour is not nearly enough time! You have to
clean the entire floor with the bleach, and it could be slow going if a lot of scrubbing is needed. Then it should have time to
dry - the last thing you want is to try to do an installation over a wet concrete pad.

I'd be asking the guy for at least 24 hours, maybe more if it's a large room. Best would probably be to do removal on a Friday
and installation the following Monday - that way you have the entire weekend to do whatever it takes to remove the mold, and let
it dry thoroughly.

Eric Law

"Bill" wrote in message ...
[...]

Roger

You need more time to let it dry. Perhaps several days.
Also, if this area got wet from leakage from below, from a plumbing leak
within the slab, or springs under the house, further diagnostic work needs
to be done before any new, especially expensive, flooring is considered.
Best case, there may have been a surface spill that seeped under the
flooring, causing mildew and mold. Whatever, the pic looks like there is a
major moisture source in that area, that needs to be examined.

Terry Cano

Bleach.....I think Home Depot sells a Bleach that is less diluted for
germicide cleaning.
However, you should let the bleach/scurbing set in for at least a day and
air out....then I'd treat it again
and let it dry completely.....this could also depend on where you
live...humidity....use a fan blowing across the floor to help dry it.
Make sure there is a good seal/vapor barrier before putting anything
covering back

Terry

John

This looks like what happened at our house..But ours was old vinyl
flooring..The floor started turning black in the center, and got bigger..We
had a flooring guy come out and he indicated we had a plumbing leak..We had
an engineering company check and the drain lines under the house were
leaking in the slab...They dug a tunnel under the house, jack hammered out
the old cast iron pipe and replaced it with pvc..But our problem was twice
fold..The leak also caused the soil under the house to swell causing the
house to heave up four inches causing foundation problems..You don't even
want to know what that cost to fix...Gosh I hope yours was something spilled
and leached into that carpet..I can't imagine who would install laminate
flooring over carpet..But have it checked carefully....
John