ladderlogicman

Default Whick chuck is best?

I am going to buy a scroll chuck.
What are the pros and cons of buying a Nova chuck ($200+), One way talon
chuck ($200+), or Grizzly chuck ($40).

All appear to do the same thing. The Nova and Talon have more attachments
(these cost extra), but is it worth the extra $160 up front?

ladderlogicman
Chattanooga, Tn

George

"ladderlogicman" wrote in message
.. .
I am going to buy a scroll chuck.
What are the pros and cons of buying a Nova chuck ($200+), One way talon
chuck ($200+), or Grizzly chuck ($40).

All appear to do the same thing. The Nova and Talon have more attachments
(these cost extra), but is it worth the extra $160 up front?

Short answer -best chuck is the one the poster owns. Expect those who spent
the most to be most defensive about their decision.

You tend to hear a lot about one "gripping" more tightly than another, but
last thing you normally want to do is "grip" something which you may want to
re-mount and is subject to distortion and possible failure from applied
pressure. The way they work is by fitting, not gripping the work, which
means a properly mating set of jaws which don't move at different rates or
in different directions. The Grizz I handled was a floppin' mess, but it
was a single example.

Paulco

Not true.
I have a Vicmarc and I think it is better than the Nova - I looked at
both when I was buying, I think the Vicmarc has better quality and
finish than the Nova and I have had great service from Vicmarc.
But if I thought the Vicmarc was crap I would say so to warn others,
but I think the Vicmarc is the best chuck around and that is based on
my experience of using it and using a Nova at my turning club.
Cheers
Paul

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:23:03 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

"ladderlogicman" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Unless otherwise stated all references to location refer to Western Australia
Steven Raphael

The Grizzly cant be as bad as the 3 jaw self centering chuck that I bought
from Harbor Freight.
I wanted to see how far it would open and it fell apart on me. Took me a
while to get it back together and working right.
Moral of the story is cheaper is not allways better but some things that are
cheap are better than others.

Steven Raphael
Ithaca MI
http://www.geocities.com/steven_raph...turnings1.html

Ken Grunke

ladderlogicman wrote:
I am going to buy a scroll chuck.
What are the pros and cons of buying a Nova chuck ($200+), One way talon
chuck ($200+), or Grizzly chuck ($40).

All appear to do the same thing. The Nova and Talon have more attachments
(these cost extra), but is it worth the extra $160 up front?

How much do you value quality control in a product?
For only $40, the Grizzly can't have much of that.
But it's a fairly small risk, although the Nova and Talon would be
risk-free because of their reputation.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/
Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin
http://www.crwoodturner.com/

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi

The difference is design and quality.
The Oneway chucks are the best in both areas, the chucks unlike others
don't need precision turned wood to mate to but hold better over a
larger area over a greater size difference and on square as well as on
round stock.
Every other chuck is down from there, with more design limitations you
can use lesser quality chucks and not get hurt by flying chunks of wood,
but I don't like to take any more chances than necessary.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

ladderlogicman wrote:

I am going to buy a scroll chuck.
What are the pros and cons of buying a Nova chuck ($200+), One way talon
chuck ($200+), or Grizzly chuck ($40).

All appear to do the same thing. The Nova and Talon have more attachments
(these cost extra), but is it worth the extra $160 up front?

ladderlogicman
Chattanooga, Tn

Fred Holder

One of the newest chucks on the market is my recommendation, the SuperNova2. I
recently purchased two of them, one for myself and one for my wife. They have
been excellent performers and I find it very satisfactory. Lyn J. Mangiameli had
a review on the "New Generation of Teknatool Chucks and Jaws" in the January
2005 issue of More Woodturning. Lyn was as pleased with the performance of the
SuprNova2 as I am. This chuck will cost you $200+, but it will be worth every
cent. Now, the Grizzly chuck for $40.00 is not a great buy. I purchased one to
do a review. The quality was so poor that I was afraid to mount a piece of wood
on the lathe with it and I did not feel it rated a review. My recommendation
here is to cross it from your list!

Now, with that aside, there are four makers of woodturning four jaw scroll
chucks that are worth considering: Teknatool Nova Line, Oneway Manufacturing
line, Vicmarc line, and Axminister line of chucks. Record power has come out
with a four jaw scroll chuck that looks to be good, but I've not seen one other
than in pictures. For my money, the new SuperNova2 from Teknatool is a best buy
at this point in time and I have experience with it.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , ladderlogicman says...

I am going to buy a scroll chuck.
What are the pros and cons of buying a Nova chuck ($200+), One way talon
chuck ($200+), or Grizzly chuck ($40).

All appear to do the same thing. The Nova and Talon have more attachments
(these cost extra), but is it worth the extra $160 up front?

ladderlogicman
Chattanooga, Tn

Bruce Ferguson

I also like the vicmarc chuck. To me another over looked advantage is that
it uses allen wrech to operate the chuck. I have heard the other chuck key
can cost $40.00 to replace if lost or broken. Vicmarc go the hardware store
and buy another allen wrench.

Bruce
"Paulco" wrote in message
[...]

mac davis

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 17:46:09 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hi

The difference is design and quality.
The Oneway chucks are the best in both areas, the chucks unlike others
don't need precision turned wood to mate to but hold better over a
larger area over a greater size difference and on square as well as on
round stock.
Every other chuck is down from there, with more design limitations you
can use lesser quality chucks and not get hurt by flying chunks of wood,
but I don't like to take any more chances than necessary.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

snip
I have to agree that Oneway is very good, but it's my 1st chuck,
(Talon), so I don't have a "standard" to hold it to...

Since buying it in December, I've contacted the folks at Oneway twice,
once for an adapter for the Mini Jet, and once for the spigot jaws for
the chuck.. (I didn't buy my chuck from them)
Both times were very pleasant experiences... tool free number, real
person (Gloria) answers the phone and the shipping is pretty fast,
though they only ship once or twice a week..

I might save a buck or 2 shopping around for accessories, but it's
nice to be able to call the manufacturer and ask questions or order
things..
(both items that I bought direct were the same or lower priced than
Amazon)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Ralph E Lindberg

In article , "George" george@least
wrote:

"ladderlogicman" wrote in message
.. .
I am going to buy a scroll chuck.
What are the pros and cons of buying a Nova chuck ($200+), One way talon
chuck ($200+), or Grizzly chuck ($40).

All appear to do the same thing. The Nova and Talon have more attachments
(these cost extra), but is it worth the extra $160 up front?

Short answer -best chuck is the one the poster owns. Expect those who spent
the most to be most defensive about their decision.

Correct

You tend to hear a lot about one "gripping" more tightly than another, but
last thing you normally want to do is "grip" something which you may want to
re-mount and is subject to distortion and possible failure from applied
pressure. The way they work is by fitting, not gripping the work, which
means a properly mating set of jaws which don't move at different rates or
in different directions. The Grizz I handled was a floppin' mess, but it
was a single example.

While mine is fine, easy movement and tight.

I went with Grizz for price and that all their other tools I own are
"OK", but then I'm no a "serious" turner like Fred, if I was I suspect
my choice would be different

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

1st of those in the post, not 1st in the world (IMHO). The Bison brand
(sold under the Axminster name) takes that honor.

Jgklr2732

Add the Vicmark to you list of $200+ chucks. Its dovetail jaws produce a firm
grip. Can't speak for the Super Nova but both Vicmark and Talon are great
chucks. Thay beat the oroginal Nova for holding power.
billh

wrote:

[...]

I had a BusyBee chuck which I suspect is identical to your Grizzly. I had it
on my first lathe and did a lot of work with it. I used an external tenon,
tightened the chuck very well and was reasonably careful in the tenon
preparation. I rarely lost a bowl or had it come "untrue" and this only
happened after a big catch. I now own a Oneway Stronghold and it is much
better than the cheapie but the price wasn't the same either. I can't say I
regret the cheapie as a first chuck since it did what I wanted it to and the
cash outlay was rather minor. I am selling my first lathe to a newbie turner
and the chuck will go with it with my best wishes. I am not saying cheapie
first for everybody but I don't dismiss them as useless, they just require a
bit more attention.

Billh