Fred Holder

One of the newest chucks on the market is my recommendation, the SuperNova2. I
recently purchased two of them, one for myself and one for my wife. They have
been excellent performers and I find it very satisfactory. Lyn J. Mangiameli had
a review on the "New Generation of Teknatool Chucks and Jaws" in the January
2005 issue of More Woodturning. Lyn was as pleased with the performance of the
SuprNova2 as I am. This chuck will cost you $200+, but it will be worth every
cent. Now, the Grizzly chuck for $40.00 is not a great buy. I purchased one to
do a review. The quality was so poor that I was afraid to mount a piece of wood
on the lathe with it and I did not feel it rated a review. My recommendation
here is to cross it from your list!

Now, with that aside, there are four makers of woodturning four jaw scroll
chucks that are worth considering: Teknatool Nova Line, Oneway Manufacturing
line, Vicmarc line, and Axminister line of chucks. Record power has come out
with a four jaw scroll chuck that looks to be good, but I've not seen one other
than in pictures. For my money, the new SuperNova2 from Teknatool is a best buy
at this point in time and I have experience with it.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , ladderlogicman says...

I am going to buy a scroll chuck.
What are the pros and cons of buying a Nova chuck ($200+), One way talon
chuck ($200+), or Grizzly chuck ($40).

All appear to do the same thing. The Nova and Talon have more attachments
(these cost extra), but is it worth the extra $160 up front?

ladderlogicman
Chattanooga, Tn