Paulco

Not true.
I have a Vicmarc and I think it is better than the Nova - I looked at
both when I was buying, I think the Vicmarc has better quality and
finish than the Nova and I have had great service from Vicmarc.
But if I thought the Vicmarc was crap I would say so to warn others,
but I think the Vicmarc is the best chuck around and that is based on
my experience of using it and using a Nova at my turning club.
Cheers
Paul

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:23:03 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

"ladderlogicman" wrote in message
. ..
I am going to buy a scroll chuck.
What are the pros and cons of buying a Nova chuck ($200+), One way talon
chuck ($200+), or Grizzly chuck ($40).

All appear to do the same thing. The Nova and Talon have more attachments
(these cost extra), but is it worth the extra $160 up front?

Short answer -best chuck is the one the poster owns. Expect those who spent
the most to be most defensive about their decision.

You tend to hear a lot about one "gripping" more tightly than another, but
last thing you normally want to do is "grip" something which you may want to
re-mount and is subject to distortion and possible failure from applied
pressure. The way they work is by fitting, not gripping the work, which
means a properly mating set of jaws which don't move at different rates or
in different directions. The Grizz I handled was a floppin' mess, but it
was a single example.

Unless otherwise stated all references to location refer to Western Australia