Mike Morin

Default Craftsman Lathe (Variable Speed)

I have this variable speed Craftsman lathe I bought about a year ago.It
has a gremlin in it. And I was wondering if anyone has one of these lathes
that I can compare notes with.
The problem that arises is I can be using it, and everything is ok, then
all of a sudden it appears out of the blue that the power in it fluctuates,
then resorts to a point where it appears that there my be a dry bearing or
something in it (Vibration). Then it blows a fuse. If I mess with it and
keep setting the breaker, after a time it seems to clear out. But even that
may take some time to work out. If I had a metric Allen wrench I probably
would have opened it up by now, but I don't, and haven't had time yet to
proceed onto this project yet. I was just curious if anyone had one of these
lathes, and have had any problems with it. If you had any problems, what
have you done to remedy the situation?

Thanks
M. Morin
Lewiston, Maine

Darrell Feltmate

Mike
I have that lathe, in fact I have had one for about five years now, give or
take. It sounds like a problem with the Reeves Drive. Are the pulleys
jamming? Every now and then I put a spot of oil on the shafts at the pulleys
since I understand that the pulleys on a Reeves can freeze up. Besides, I
think that moving parts need oiling now and then, especially in a dusty
enviroment.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Darrell Feltmate

Rick
I am not sure if oil or grease would work better on the Reeves drive. I use
oil but I imagine grease would work as well or better, but it would be more
akward to apply in this case. Some time I might try one of those graphite
sprays in hopes of attracting less dust, even though it has not been a
problem to date.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Darrell Feltmate

Denis
A Reeves drive has two pulleys that expand or contract ot control the speed
of the unit. I am lubricating the shaft on which the pulleys ride.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Denis Marier

Thanks Darrell, What I did before greasing is to clean the shaft with
solvent. Then I, with a cue tip, applied wheel bearing grease. The second
time I used silicone grease. The later did not make much difference. Next
time I'll experiment with outboard marine grease. Lubricating does not
cause me much problem. The OEM belt was the real problem. Now that I have
replaced the belt with a GATES equivalent made in the USA the drive runs
smoother.

Denis
A Reeves drive has two pulleys that expand or contract ot control the

speed
of the unit. I am lubricating the shaft on which the pulleys ride.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

George

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
Thanks Darrell, What I did before greasing is to clean the shaft with
solvent. Then I, with a cue tip, applied wheel bearing grease. The

second
time I used silicone grease. The later did not make much difference.

Next
time I'll experiment with outboard marine grease. Lubricating does not
cause me much problem. The OEM belt was the real problem. Now that I

have
replaced the belt with a GATES equivalent made in the USA the drive runs
smoother.

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
Denis
A Reeves drive has two pulleys that expand or contract ot control the

speed
of the unit. I am lubricating the shaft on which the pulleys ride.

You might want to consider one of the graphite-based products like
http://www.slipplate.com/ to reduce dust adhesion. I like it for lubing
the tractor linkages, a pretty messy thing if I use oil or grease. Also
great for the table and band saw trunnions.